GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Should Nintendo and Sega join for a future console?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 04/08/02 at 00:49
Regular
Yes we all know that the Super Nintendo ruled the early Nineties.
And yes we all know that the Sega Mega Drive was one great machine then too.
But yet, now after the failure of the Dreamcast and the moving on of things 'of todays' standards, shouldn't Nintendo and Sega (Two Japanese Greats) be thinking of the future-for a joint development of a future console?
Its a worthwhile thought.

The Dreamcast was a relative failure yes, but In my opinion, the Dreamcast was the best system since the Super Nintendo.
It oozed pure quality and it had such darn potential that failure wasn't an option, but yet... it was sadly.

But thinking now of a joint Nintendo and Sega System would set the Gaming world on fire, come on, would you not be excited about it?
Seeing a System with both a Nintendo and Sega logo on it would get many weak at the knees.

But for those that would doubt the possibilities, think about it for a moment.
Think about many of the gaming greats coming on the one console, it's happening now-yes I know, but not on the scale that we would want, we do see Mario and Sonic on the one console, but that is not enough!.

Sega now after Multi-Format releases have yet again established themselves as Gaming greats.
They have more or less shrugged of their failure, they are now again known as a force of gaming, they have set alight a market with their unique inspiration and determination of classics. Therefore, if indeed a merger did happen between the two gaming giants, everyone will sit up and take heed.
Sega has indeed re-established itself; and joining forces with the best in the business is not a bad thing, is it?
It would surely become an option if Sony continues to dominate in the future, and surely Sega wouldn't refuse a proposal to join forces with Nintendo 5 years from now if the option was given to them.
Sega would want to get back into the hardware business, after all it's their spiritual home no matter what way you look at it. And yet, it's Nintendo's too.
It's a possiblity, and one that I guarantee would not have many surprised if it indeed happened.
Think about it.
Sun 04/08/02 at 10:12
"possibly impossible"
History counts for nothing among the new gaming generation and Sega and Nintendo would have to work hard at advertising rather than relying on their names to sell consoles. This is partly where Sega fell down with the Dreamcast, Sony were new to the market, but it helped rather than hindered them because they were new, reflecting a change in console history, and most people are looking for something new.

On the physical side, yes, both Sega and Nintendo have shown that they can produce great machines and games and working together would be a force to be reckoned with on the hardware side of things, but the problem remains that neither company has shown great advertising potential (until, perhaps, now where Nintendo have finally got their act together and sponsored the Sci-Fi channel on Sky and Cable as well as coming up with some good adverts).
Sun 04/08/02 at 07:26
Regular
A resounding YES!
For me, and I suspect a lot of other people, this would be the perfect marriage, the perfect console, just perfect.
All the SEGA & Nintendo games in one place.... it wouldn't even bother me if the only games released for the thing were just the SEGA & Nintendo exclusives.
Sun 04/08/02 at 00:49
Regular
"Nasty Fat Hobbit!"
Yes we all know that the Super Nintendo ruled the early Nineties.
And yes we all know that the Sega Mega Drive was one great machine then too.
But yet, now after the failure of the Dreamcast and the moving on of things 'of todays' standards, shouldn't Nintendo and Sega (Two Japanese Greats) be thinking of the future-for a joint development of a future console?
Its a worthwhile thought.

The Dreamcast was a relative failure yes, but In my opinion, the Dreamcast was the best system since the Super Nintendo.
It oozed pure quality and it had such darn potential that failure wasn't an option, but yet... it was sadly.

But thinking now of a joint Nintendo and Sega System would set the Gaming world on fire, come on, would you not be excited about it?
Seeing a System with both a Nintendo and Sega logo on it would get many weak at the knees.

But for those that would doubt the possibilities, think about it for a moment.
Think about many of the gaming greats coming on the one console, it's happening now-yes I know, but not on the scale that we would want, we do see Mario and Sonic on the one console, but that is not enough!.

Sega now after Multi-Format releases have yet again established themselves as Gaming greats.
They have more or less shrugged of their failure, they are now again known as a force of gaming, they have set alight a market with their unique inspiration and determination of classics. Therefore, if indeed a merger did happen between the two gaming giants, everyone will sit up and take heed.
Sega has indeed re-established itself; and joining forces with the best in the business is not a bad thing, is it?
It would surely become an option if Sony continues to dominate in the future, and surely Sega wouldn't refuse a proposal to join forces with Nintendo 5 years from now if the option was given to them.
Sega would want to get back into the hardware business, after all it's their spiritual home no matter what way you look at it. And yet, it's Nintendo's too.
It's a possiblity, and one that I guarantee would not have many surprised if it indeed happened.
Think about it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.