GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why do we like realism?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 04/08/02 at 00:39
Regular
Why do we like realism?

Why? Hm? We play games to escape. To escape from the torments and stress and pain and the like, usually work. Which includes school, and various other hard things. (No not that you dirty little.. :-P)

Games are there, and are used for escapism. It releases all the tension and stress, escaping you away from the real world into some fantasy one, putting you on a higher state of mind, escaping it. Away from your nagging wife or kids, away from stress. Away from the real world.

So why Ladies and Gentlemen, why do we like realistic games?

Why do we like the very thing that we're trying to escape from?

Because, games, based on realism are based on the fun, exciting, dangerous parts of life. Parts of life that we, as normal people will never experience without us ending up a jail sentence. Which, is bad. Dudes.

Parts like, shooting, driving recklessly, being a sniper in the war, drugs, mobs, mafia, all these very things are highly illegal. And usually end in death, or jail, as I said earlier. But, however, these are perfect subjects to aim games at.

Why though? Why not make a completely new world, with new idea's and the such. Because, this'll take lots of time and effort and might not even sell too well, so, why not just use a dangerous subject, in the real world. Its much easier, and, if done well, is basically guaranteed to sell.

Games made about, working, typing, stress, tension, would. Just be plain boring. Would they sell. Hahahaha. No, I think not. "Office Job 2002" Lol, that would be bought, played, used a a doorstop, used to clear up cat litter, used to wipe up spills, stood on, thrown about, snapped, submerged in water, dropped down hills, dropped on concrete, eaten.

A few things of what would happen to this game. That, that is a realistic game. Realistic in the sense, that its as close to real life as you can get. But that wouldn't sell. So, realistic games, that would sell, are realistic in the, way people die, guns, blood, the scenery and stuff. The "Exciting" stuff. I mean, in a completely realistic game, you'd have to stop for food and the toilet, various things to do with you health and your clothes, stamina etc.

So, really, the game has got too realistic.

People are always banging on about how realistic games are. Try "Office 2002" next time then :-P
It has to be tweaked, to a certain realism level. Thus, not too much, and not too little.

So why do we like realism?

Because its not actually realistic. Its just all the dangerous "Fun" parts of life, with some guns and cops dotted in. :-)

Hope this tried to explain why people like realistic games.

Toasty.
Sun 04/08/02 at 00:39
Why do we like realism?

Why? Hm? We play games to escape. To escape from the torments and stress and pain and the like, usually work. Which includes school, and various other hard things. (No not that you dirty little.. :-P)

Games are there, and are used for escapism. It releases all the tension and stress, escaping you away from the real world into some fantasy one, putting you on a higher state of mind, escaping it. Away from your nagging wife or kids, away from stress. Away from the real world.

So why Ladies and Gentlemen, why do we like realistic games?

Why do we like the very thing that we're trying to escape from?

Because, games, based on realism are based on the fun, exciting, dangerous parts of life. Parts of life that we, as normal people will never experience without us ending up a jail sentence. Which, is bad. Dudes.

Parts like, shooting, driving recklessly, being a sniper in the war, drugs, mobs, mafia, all these very things are highly illegal. And usually end in death, or jail, as I said earlier. But, however, these are perfect subjects to aim games at.

Why though? Why not make a completely new world, with new idea's and the such. Because, this'll take lots of time and effort and might not even sell too well, so, why not just use a dangerous subject, in the real world. Its much easier, and, if done well, is basically guaranteed to sell.

Games made about, working, typing, stress, tension, would. Just be plain boring. Would they sell. Hahahaha. No, I think not. "Office Job 2002" Lol, that would be bought, played, used a a doorstop, used to clear up cat litter, used to wipe up spills, stood on, thrown about, snapped, submerged in water, dropped down hills, dropped on concrete, eaten.

A few things of what would happen to this game. That, that is a realistic game. Realistic in the sense, that its as close to real life as you can get. But that wouldn't sell. So, realistic games, that would sell, are realistic in the, way people die, guns, blood, the scenery and stuff. The "Exciting" stuff. I mean, in a completely realistic game, you'd have to stop for food and the toilet, various things to do with you health and your clothes, stamina etc.

So, really, the game has got too realistic.

People are always banging on about how realistic games are. Try "Office 2002" next time then :-P
It has to be tweaked, to a certain realism level. Thus, not too much, and not too little.

So why do we like realism?

Because its not actually realistic. Its just all the dangerous "Fun" parts of life, with some guns and cops dotted in. :-)

Hope this tried to explain why people like realistic games.

Toasty.
Mon 05/08/02 at 01:37
Regular
"[SE] Acetrooper"
That's a good start, Toasty!

I thought it was rather interesting.
I think you make a good point on how people like realistic games.
But I think also think that people play games to escape anyway, not just realistic ones.

Good post.
Mon 05/08/02 at 01:51
Regular
Good post there geezer...

Personally I'm not really into Realistic games. I like me Pro evolution soccer and GT3 but they are the best sims in thier genre. Most of the rest of it is just crap to me.

Give me Mario any day.
Mon 05/08/02 at 08:42
Regular
Realistic graphics are fine, but when the gameplay is stiffled by realism - that's when realism sucks.
Mon 05/08/02 at 10:00
Regular
Maybe the reason parents are always mad is because they annoyed with their little insignifigant (dont ask me how you spell it) lives and they never play computer games.

Also maybe the reason they say computer games are bad for us is because when they play a game they want to do it.

No mum no just because..no aghhhh... no mum wait its not real well it is....ahhh... but its a computer game you get done for this stuff...ahhhhhhhh.
Thats the last time i let her play silent hill.
Mon 05/08/02 at 10:01
Regular
oh good post too, i wish id done a good post when i joined.
Mon 05/08/02 at 11:00
Regular
"no longer El Blokey"
Nice post...

But I did one almost exactly like it in Prime a few days ago :o)
Mon 05/08/02 at 12:42
"MMMMM, Chicken"
Realism helps to immerse you into the games enviroment, but if the enviroment is boring ie. an office(although some offices can be pretty fun) then the realism wouldnt help, wheras if you made it cartoony and comic -ish think a sim office, then the lack of realism would help you to enjoy the game.
Mon 05/08/02 at 21:47
Regular
pop

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.