GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Not just online gaming."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 03/08/02 at 12:15
Regular
I was just playing on unreal tournament over the net when I realised that after the idea of playing people over the net instead of bots and or friends has gone then it pretty much might as well be playing bots because you get to know people style of how they play and things like that.

I for one will be getting online as soon as it’s possible, as long as the price isn’t over the top, and there will be some people who wont be able to afford it.
I for one wouldn’t be REALLY bothered if I didn’t get online because it would be good but not essential as long as you have mates and/or bots.

That’s why I think that Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft need to make more available on the net than just gaming, of course this will be a hell of a lot easier for the PS2 and Xbox because they have, or will be getting, a hard drive to store things on.

The internet would be a great way of updating sports games, new players in football and new wrestlers in WWE could be downloaded instead of creating your own remake of them. Then you could download cheats and new items to add to games to make them last longer. Maybe even download music to play on the level instead of the music you get with it.
All of these ideas would be good but not essential making the game work for both non online people and people with the facility.
Mon 05/08/02 at 09:55
Regular
Hey as long as they give a free monkey with every broadband modem im joining for sure.
Mon 05/08/02 at 09:42
Regular
I think a lot of people think, taking their console on line will be easy and cheap - this is not how it's going to be. Just because you have a telephone line, does not mean you will automatically have access to any of the console broadband services. Over the next 6 months there is going to be a lot of hype - but that doesn't change the facts. I might even go as far to say that broadband console access in the UK could be another ITVDigital.
Sun 04/08/02 at 12:26
Regular
I really have concerns about on-line. There are so many unknown factors which could make or break the idea on consoles. Future on-line means broadband. In the US lots of people have broadband via their cable tv connection. But in the UK and EU, this is a lot less popular. For most people in this part the world, broadband will mean a ADSL phone line upgrade. But ADSL only covers a small area of the UK for now - if you can't get this where you live - then forget broadband. That’s a lot of people who won't be able to take up the service. Then there's the cost. You need to have the phone line upgraded. Then you need to pay a monthly broadband connection fee (£20-£30 per month). Then on top of that, if you want an XBox Live or Sony On-line service, you will have to pay another monthly connection fee in order to have access to those specific areas. Any "pay per play" content will have an additional fee as well. I don't think most users will be prepared to pay this kind of money. Just compare this to the value of GameGube, PS2, and XBox. And with platinum games, prices of disc games as well are sort of good value compared with the proposed on line plans.
Sat 03/08/02 at 12:15
Regular
I was just playing on unreal tournament over the net when I realised that after the idea of playing people over the net instead of bots and or friends has gone then it pretty much might as well be playing bots because you get to know people style of how they play and things like that.

I for one will be getting online as soon as it’s possible, as long as the price isn’t over the top, and there will be some people who wont be able to afford it.
I for one wouldn’t be REALLY bothered if I didn’t get online because it would be good but not essential as long as you have mates and/or bots.

That’s why I think that Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft need to make more available on the net than just gaming, of course this will be a hell of a lot easier for the PS2 and Xbox because they have, or will be getting, a hard drive to store things on.

The internet would be a great way of updating sports games, new players in football and new wrestlers in WWE could be downloaded instead of creating your own remake of them. Then you could download cheats and new items to add to games to make them last longer. Maybe even download music to play on the level instead of the music you get with it.
All of these ideas would be good but not essential making the game work for both non online people and people with the facility.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.