GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Gamer X :The article that inspired The Fast (Processors) and The Furious (curse words)"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 01/08/02 at 14:35
Regular
Its a scorching summer afternoon, but all sunlight is blocked from the small 8 foot by 10 foot room, specially imported industrial sunblockers cover the window, the only luminance in the room is from the neon green glow of the Cooling Fan. 'Its all about the look' quips Barry Blogensdenschaffen, a self confessed addict to the undergroung phenomena that has come to be known as Xtreme gaming.

The hardware that Barry shows me wouldnt look out of place in a science fiction movie, a translucent case contains enough hi tech gadgets to make even Bill Gates cack himself, we're talking about liquid nitrogen cooling systems, fibre optic connections as opposed to traditional wiring, all contained within an airtight sealed case. A strange looking green light emmission is occasionally accompanied by the red LED of an active hard disc, or the blue spark of a fibre optic cable, clearly this is not the kind of system you can buy down your local Special Reserve.

'I think in total I've probably stripped down and reconfigured the system sixty to seventy times, adding components here, streamlining the OS there, Its not the type of thing a serious gamer let alone a casual gamer will be willing to do, its only for the most diehard, the most extreme' proclaims Barry. His boasts seem slightly distressed, maybe its because later tonight he will be testing his system out against other such Xtreme gamers, who have come from all over the country to test their skills against him. 'A challenge is a contest between two gamers to see whose computer can outperform the others, we take a one player game and see who can complete it the fastest, the faster the computer the faster the game moves, but obviously a great deal of skill is needed by the gamesplayer to maintain control, its the ultimate union of man and machine'.

Its 5.30 PM, and barry is making last second changes to his system, he asks me to leave the room when he's making modifications for fear that I might damage his systems components, that in some cases cost thousands of pounds, in leaving the room I meet his Brother Bobby Blogensdenschaffen, 'I have no idea why he does it, he spends thousands of pounds souping up his PC, and the difference in performance is negligable, most of the modifications are only cosmetic anyway'. Clearly Bobby is not enamored with Xtreme gaming in the same way as Barry is. Its now 6.00 PM and Barry has let us back into his room, for some strange reason he has drawn go faster stripes on the side of his PC casing, maybe its just a supersticious thing, maybe hes a few bananas short of a bunch, either ways its almost gametime. A knock on the door signifies its about to start, the competition is here, we make our way upstairs both nervous and adrenalised at the same time.

Upon answering the door I was extremely suprised to see the crowds that had gathered to see this competition, a clash between two greats, a lot of them were little more than children, but some were as old as 23, they were clearly the old school, and at their age were both revered and disliked by the younger upstarts. In a flurry of people rusing in to the large front room to watch the contest, in was wheeled a standard looking PC 'Its old, It can barely run the game', I looked down for the source of the voice, and was shocked to see it eminated from the mouth of a twelve year old kid, was this the competition?

Barry was at this time sitting at his beast of a computer, his determined stare showing his concentration and desire to win, the kid, who everyone knew only as 'J.D.' sat down next to his 'old' computer, and they both looked eager to play, though it must be said Barry certainly seemed to be the more aggressive of the two, as J.D. chatted with others, Barry made only growling animal noises, it was time the battle was about to begin. They were both handed the game of choice it was Return To Castle Wolfenstein, a single drop of sweat ran down Barrys forehead and as the clock turned to 7.00 PM the race was on.

As J.D. started the installation process, Barry threw a curveball, he had already installed the game on his system. As cries of thats not fair echoed through the crowd, Barry growled a reply 'Its not about fair, its about winning!'. Barrys eyes bulged maniacly, his face distorting with every zombie guard from hell, as Barry reached the end of the first level J.D. had finally installed the game and started playing.

Twenty minutes later J.D. was not only in the lead, but was absolutely hammering Barry whose face was a curious mix of a red face and uncontrollable salivation, 'F**K OFF! All of you!', Screamed Barry throwing his computer on the floor. The crowd quickly dissapated, and I snuck away quietly.

Outside I met up with Bobby, who informed me that this had happened before. 'He really stinks at games, but thinks he's the best in the world, its quite sad really'. As I looked in through the window and saw Barry rocking rhythmically clutching his PC as if it were a child, I couldn't help but think, If he's representative of an Xtreme gamer, I cant help but feel glad I dont take it as serious as him, after all I have fun playing games, wheras Barry doesnt seem to have had much fun at all. As for the potential for growth of this strange craze, I dont see it growing when there are people like Barry about, maybe gaming is not meant to be taken to the extreme.
Thu 01/08/02 at 14:35
"MMMMM, Chicken"
Its a scorching summer afternoon, but all sunlight is blocked from the small 8 foot by 10 foot room, specially imported industrial sunblockers cover the window, the only luminance in the room is from the neon green glow of the Cooling Fan. 'Its all about the look' quips Barry Blogensdenschaffen, a self confessed addict to the undergroung phenomena that has come to be known as Xtreme gaming.

The hardware that Barry shows me wouldnt look out of place in a science fiction movie, a translucent case contains enough hi tech gadgets to make even Bill Gates cack himself, we're talking about liquid nitrogen cooling systems, fibre optic connections as opposed to traditional wiring, all contained within an airtight sealed case. A strange looking green light emmission is occasionally accompanied by the red LED of an active hard disc, or the blue spark of a fibre optic cable, clearly this is not the kind of system you can buy down your local Special Reserve.

'I think in total I've probably stripped down and reconfigured the system sixty to seventy times, adding components here, streamlining the OS there, Its not the type of thing a serious gamer let alone a casual gamer will be willing to do, its only for the most diehard, the most extreme' proclaims Barry. His boasts seem slightly distressed, maybe its because later tonight he will be testing his system out against other such Xtreme gamers, who have come from all over the country to test their skills against him. 'A challenge is a contest between two gamers to see whose computer can outperform the others, we take a one player game and see who can complete it the fastest, the faster the computer the faster the game moves, but obviously a great deal of skill is needed by the gamesplayer to maintain control, its the ultimate union of man and machine'.

Its 5.30 PM, and barry is making last second changes to his system, he asks me to leave the room when he's making modifications for fear that I might damage his systems components, that in some cases cost thousands of pounds, in leaving the room I meet his Brother Bobby Blogensdenschaffen, 'I have no idea why he does it, he spends thousands of pounds souping up his PC, and the difference in performance is negligable, most of the modifications are only cosmetic anyway'. Clearly Bobby is not enamored with Xtreme gaming in the same way as Barry is. Its now 6.00 PM and Barry has let us back into his room, for some strange reason he has drawn go faster stripes on the side of his PC casing, maybe its just a supersticious thing, maybe hes a few bananas short of a bunch, either ways its almost gametime. A knock on the door signifies its about to start, the competition is here, we make our way upstairs both nervous and adrenalised at the same time.

Upon answering the door I was extremely suprised to see the crowds that had gathered to see this competition, a clash between two greats, a lot of them were little more than children, but some were as old as 23, they were clearly the old school, and at their age were both revered and disliked by the younger upstarts. In a flurry of people rusing in to the large front room to watch the contest, in was wheeled a standard looking PC 'Its old, It can barely run the game', I looked down for the source of the voice, and was shocked to see it eminated from the mouth of a twelve year old kid, was this the competition?

Barry was at this time sitting at his beast of a computer, his determined stare showing his concentration and desire to win, the kid, who everyone knew only as 'J.D.' sat down next to his 'old' computer, and they both looked eager to play, though it must be said Barry certainly seemed to be the more aggressive of the two, as J.D. chatted with others, Barry made only growling animal noises, it was time the battle was about to begin. They were both handed the game of choice it was Return To Castle Wolfenstein, a single drop of sweat ran down Barrys forehead and as the clock turned to 7.00 PM the race was on.

As J.D. started the installation process, Barry threw a curveball, he had already installed the game on his system. As cries of thats not fair echoed through the crowd, Barry growled a reply 'Its not about fair, its about winning!'. Barrys eyes bulged maniacly, his face distorting with every zombie guard from hell, as Barry reached the end of the first level J.D. had finally installed the game and started playing.

Twenty minutes later J.D. was not only in the lead, but was absolutely hammering Barry whose face was a curious mix of a red face and uncontrollable salivation, 'F**K OFF! All of you!', Screamed Barry throwing his computer on the floor. The crowd quickly dissapated, and I snuck away quietly.

Outside I met up with Bobby, who informed me that this had happened before. 'He really stinks at games, but thinks he's the best in the world, its quite sad really'. As I looked in through the window and saw Barry rocking rhythmically clutching his PC as if it were a child, I couldn't help but think, If he's representative of an Xtreme gamer, I cant help but feel glad I dont take it as serious as him, after all I have fun playing games, wheras Barry doesnt seem to have had much fun at all. As for the potential for growth of this strange craze, I dont see it growing when there are people like Barry about, maybe gaming is not meant to be taken to the extreme.
Thu 01/08/02 at 14:38
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Is this a story?
I hope so, because if it ain't, then...yeah.
Well done. I can't write decent stories, although i keep getting A*s in my English stories. AHAHAHAH.
Thu 01/08/02 at 14:40
"MMMMM, Chicken"
If you've got the fast and the furious DVD you will know what the Title is about. But dont worry, even when you know what its referring to - its not particuarly funny anyway.
Thu 01/08/02 at 14:42
"MMMMM, Chicken"
It was written as a spoof article, similar to how Racer X documented street racing and was used as the basis for the movie the fast and the furious (which is rather good in my opinion).
Thu 01/08/02 at 14:46
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Oh dear. The Fast and The Furious was rubbish. the pacing was all off and the script was undeveloped and shoddy.
Gone in 69 Seconds wasn't much better, but at least the pace was consistent. And everyone said that The Fast and The Furious was better. Fools
Thu 01/08/02 at 14:53
"MMMMM, Chicken"
The Fast And The Furious was to be fair all action and little plot, and really didnt tie up its loose storylines, but thats what sequels are for, it was more a triumph of context over content, it was all about the action and the storyline linked it all together well, if you wanted to you can clearly see indications of further backstory, but developing them would have slowed the film down, and when a film is called the fast and the furious the one thing you dont want is for the film to drag.
Thu 01/08/02 at 15:03
Regular
"bit of a brain"
genesisofthesith wrote:
>but thats what sequels are for

So when films are bad and the plot has holes and doesn't lead anywhere, it's okay because it can be rectified in the sequel. What a perefct rule to judge all films by. You have changed my outlook completely! Wow, thanks!

;-)
Thu 01/08/02 at 15:09
"MMMMM, Chicken"
If you look at the terminator films there were a load of problems with it, but T2 by further explaining plot points makes the first one look better. So although the first film is good on its own its better as a series. Same goes for the
Thu 01/08/02 at 15:10
"MMMMM, Chicken"
star wars films, or the die hard films, or the indiana jones films. On there own the films are good, but once the characters are developed in the other films its the action you enjoy, and fast and the furious has plenty of action.
Thu 01/08/02 at 15:11
"Darkness, always"
Thegerrid wrote:
> So when films are bad and the plot has holes and doesn't lead
> anywhere, it's okay because it can be rectified in the sequel. What a
> perefct rule to judge all films by. You have changed my outlook
> completely! Wow, thanks!

Why do you think there have been 5 Star Wars films so far?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.