GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Playstation 2 games lasting appeal"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 31/07/02 at 20:34
Regular
I own a playstation 2. I own some games such as MGS2,GTA3,GT3,ProEvoSoccer,
Max payne,Resident evil code veronicaX.The hype that MGS2 got was amazing and sure enough it was a good game but after I completed it once I thought why should i do that again? There are no rewards except a stupid stealth suite for which you need stupid dog tags.all in all a pretty short game.

GTA 3 was an innovative game which lasted for quiet a while.But unlike on MGS2 you cant interact with a lot of things and eventually after halfway completing it through the second time it becomes boring.

Gran Turismo 3 is completely different,I have Fases where sometimes I feel it gets boring and a few weeks later it can be extremely enjoyable.The lasting appeal is one of the best on the system, you can buy any car you fancy when you have enough wealth: not being ordered by someone telling you to go and kill someone which gets repeatitive.

Pro Evo Soccer I perchased around christmas,the same day i got GTA3.
And 8 months later you can still score great goals which youve never scored before.GTA only lasted 1/8 of the time pro lasted.

Notice the two latter games i have expressed my opinion on have no storylines and have lasted the longested. Barely 10 days ago i bought max payne and spiderman and now i have almost completed them and the are getting repeatitive.

Is there a storylined game on PS2 which lasts for a bit longer than a month?With the newly released FFX I hope that this can answer my lasting appeal problems.

Lets go back to the PS1.......long lasting games:FF7,FF8,FF9. FF7 which i believe is the best game ever made(dont look at me like that!) was the first of its kind on PS1 and it changed RPG's for the good.FF8 was brilliant too. alas FF9 was still good but did not live up to the excellence of ff7 or 8.

My conclusion is : does FFX last long? does any game on the PS2 last long?
Wed 31/07/02 at 21:13
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
FFX lasts for as long as you wish to keep levelling your characters up. The storyline takes around 40-60 hours of gameplay to get through (first time around), but even after that you can continue to play the mini-games and fight monsters for as long as you wish.

Longevity can be described as 'the length of time a player plays a game until they're bored with it'. But even then, players come back to a game weeks or even months of not playing it, like Gran Turismo, just to beat a few records here and there.

In this respect FFX is probrably the game with the most longevity out there at present. (As long as you're an RPG fan).

Other huge games include Drakan: The Ancients Gates, Grandia 2, Metal Gear Solid 2 (as long as you try to collect all dog tags, I'm still doing this on hard level months after finishing the game itself), most driving games like the TOCA series, WipeOut Fusion, Ridge Racer etc., as well as most sports games.

What it all boils down to is: are you a 'completionist'? To uncover all the secrets in most games would take around 80 hours minimum these days, a large step away from ye games of ye olde dayes. The main difference today is that games with storylines have larger storylines (due to increases in storage capacity), and the storage capacity is also responsible for things like being able to choose from over 200 cars to drive instead of just 10, being able to race on 30 tracks instead of 3, being able to choose from hundreds of fighters instead of just 20 and being able to roam through 50 levels instead of just 10.

The difference between the good games and the bad games is simple: are the 200 cars all completely different? Are the 30 tracks all challenging in different ways? Do all the fighters all have different styles? Are the 50 levels all laid out differently to each other? All these things help to avoid repetition in the gameplay.

But then some people enjoy certain aspects of repeating gameplay whereas others don't. (E.G. some people hate random battles, others love them, some people hate fighting games, others love them etc.).

So for me FFX lasts a long time, for others it won't. As for other games being long lasting, it's down to personal choice.
Wed 31/07/02 at 20:59
if you really want a long challenge i would go for some of the ps1 games, like vagrant story, or ff8 or 9. i personally quite like spyro, for some reason altho it is quite short. if you really want a long game, buy a second hand n64 and zelda (saw both of them for 15 quid in loot)
Wed 31/07/02 at 20:34
Regular
"Notable"
I own a playstation 2. I own some games such as MGS2,GTA3,GT3,ProEvoSoccer,
Max payne,Resident evil code veronicaX.The hype that MGS2 got was amazing and sure enough it was a good game but after I completed it once I thought why should i do that again? There are no rewards except a stupid stealth suite for which you need stupid dog tags.all in all a pretty short game.

GTA 3 was an innovative game which lasted for quiet a while.But unlike on MGS2 you cant interact with a lot of things and eventually after halfway completing it through the second time it becomes boring.

Gran Turismo 3 is completely different,I have Fases where sometimes I feel it gets boring and a few weeks later it can be extremely enjoyable.The lasting appeal is one of the best on the system, you can buy any car you fancy when you have enough wealth: not being ordered by someone telling you to go and kill someone which gets repeatitive.

Pro Evo Soccer I perchased around christmas,the same day i got GTA3.
And 8 months later you can still score great goals which youve never scored before.GTA only lasted 1/8 of the time pro lasted.

Notice the two latter games i have expressed my opinion on have no storylines and have lasted the longested. Barely 10 days ago i bought max payne and spiderman and now i have almost completed them and the are getting repeatitive.

Is there a storylined game on PS2 which lasts for a bit longer than a month?With the newly released FFX I hope that this can answer my lasting appeal problems.

Lets go back to the PS1.......long lasting games:FF7,FF8,FF9. FF7 which i believe is the best game ever made(dont look at me like that!) was the first of its kind on PS1 and it changed RPG's for the good.FF8 was brilliant too. alas FF9 was still good but did not live up to the excellence of ff7 or 8.

My conclusion is : does FFX last long? does any game on the PS2 last long?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.