GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Let's have a little appreciation please."

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 15/11/00 at 13:08
Regular
In 9 days time, our world will change, months of hype and publicity will come to a crescendo with the launch of Playstation 2. I feel though that before this giant comes to conquer the world, we should have an appreciation page of all the great games Sony have given us on the original PS. Certainly there have been many classics. Gran Turismo, Colin McRae, Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy 7. What do people feel the original offering from Sony contributed to the gaming world? We all know that Sony opened the worlds eyes to Video Games. But also the way it handled the 3d graphics was a revolution. It also gave us the first decent Wrestling game, SmackDown. But I think that the biggest influence it has had is the way it suffocated the market, nearly killing SEGA and Nintendo. It showed that treaty third party publishers was very important as they had a major effect on the console, how many classics did Sony actually make? Most of the games came from third party’s. Nintendo realised this and have tried to remedy this by making the GameCube easy to develop for in an attempt to curry favour. Third party publishers now have a lot of power in that if they can establish themselves with good games, they will have more freedom to express themselves. Also the change from cartridge to CD a bold move that has proved a masterstroke.

So in closing the original Playstation changed gaming,
1. It gave third parties respect and power.
2. Platinum games gave the masses plenty of games.
3. CD-Rom came in allowing better video/music capabilities.
4. 2d became 3d.
5. Classic games (MGS, GT, FF7-9)

There are many great games and other points whether you love or loathe Playstation, it is hard not to give them credit for the way it drove the industry forward. To everyone who reads this and appreciates something Sony did with the original Playstation post a message…because this is a reminiscing and appreciating post. To Playstation, a computing-revolution.
Fri 17/11/00 at 21:37
So glad you pointes out that you're talking games sales. We're talking overall CONSOLE sales.
Fri 17/11/00 at 20:35
HAHA! Th PS is no way outsellin all consoles, the only console its outselling is the PS2 at the mo. N64 is pretty near the top along wit the DC in GAMES SALES charts so jus stating the latest, unbiased report.

Blade
Fri 17/11/00 at 14:40
Umm, I don't mean to rain on the parade, but check out the latest sales charts in the US if you think the PSX (and PSX2 for that matter)is still outselling other consoles.

On a side note the PSX is the only console that I have ever bought on its launch, which for people who really know me will understand that this action alone speaks a million words about what I thought of the machine.
Fri 17/11/00 at 11:39
Regular
"Complete Banker"
< remember the PSX is still the most popular console in the world>
True (ish) and as far as I'm aware it still outsell the DC and the N64!!!!!

Well done Sony!
Wed 15/11/00 at 22:58
remember the PSX is still the most popular console in the world, more ppl still have it then anything else.
Wed 15/11/00 at 14:14
> we should have an appreciation page of all the great games
> Sony have given us on the original PS.

Believe me, I do. Daft as it may sound, there have been several bad events in my life over the last five years, and the PS has gone some way helping me recover from them.

Sure, it's not exactly a great conversation partner, and it's no substitute for family and close friends in bad times, but it certainly takes your mind off things when you reach the point where you just want a break from dealing with your problems!

> What do people feel the original offering from Sony
> contributed to the gaming world?

As you say, it's opened people's eyes, and - almost single-handedly - breathed new life into the videogame market. It's also dragged gaming into the limelight, and out of the realm of spotty teens tucked away in their bedrooms. It put an 'acceptable', some would say "trendy and fashionable" face on playing games.

> But I think that the biggest influence
> it has had is the way it suffocated the market, nearly killing
> SEGA and Nintendo.

I wouldn't say it suffocated the market. In fact, if not for PS, there may not even be a games market now. The last 'great' games machine, IMHO, was the Amiga - even though it was a full-blown computer. After that, games were dwindling quite a bit.

It just so happened that most people took to the PS over the Saturn. It could quite easily have been the other way round. The PS possibly generated more interest simply because Sony were new to the console market.

This time round, it could be the X-Box. There could be one major difference, though... few people had any preconceptions about Sony *as a console manufacturer* as they were completely new to this particular arena. Microsoft, on the other hand, already have a large number of people wishing them to fail, simply because of their standing in the PC world, and the two arenas are becoming more and more alike.

> third party publishers
> was very important as they had a major effect on the console, how
> many classics did Sony actually make? Most of the games came from
> third party’s.

At the end of the day, does it really matter if Sony make good games or not? There are plenty of PS classics, and to me personally, it doesn't matter where they come from.

A lot of Nintendo fans cite Rare as the reason that GameCube is a "better machine", but IMHO, that makes no difference. While they may produce excellent games, at the end of the day, Rare alone will not make a sufficient quantity of games to ensure GameCube's success.

Third-party support is absolutely essential if any console is to hold its own in the market, as both Sega and Nintendo have found to their cost with the Saturn/N64. Hopefully this time around, both have rectified the situation, and all of the machines will hold on to a significant share of the market; after all, the market these days is more than big enough.

> cartridge to CD a bold move that has proved a masterstroke.

I personally think that this remains to be seen. New storage formats are a very grey area, and this could be either a major coup or a drawback for GameCube. Sony's MiniDisc is a similar proprietary format that has never *quite* gained acceptance from the masses; CD is still the more successful format. Nintendo's mini-DVD is still an unknown quantity.

That's all for now... this is a rushed message, as I'm at work. Will add more later if anything comes to mind...
Wed 15/11/00 at 13:08
In 9 days time, our world will change, months of hype and publicity will come to a crescendo with the launch of Playstation 2. I feel though that before this giant comes to conquer the world, we should have an appreciation page of all the great games Sony have given us on the original PS. Certainly there have been many classics. Gran Turismo, Colin McRae, Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy 7. What do people feel the original offering from Sony contributed to the gaming world? We all know that Sony opened the worlds eyes to Video Games. But also the way it handled the 3d graphics was a revolution. It also gave us the first decent Wrestling game, SmackDown. But I think that the biggest influence it has had is the way it suffocated the market, nearly killing SEGA and Nintendo. It showed that treaty third party publishers was very important as they had a major effect on the console, how many classics did Sony actually make? Most of the games came from third party’s. Nintendo realised this and have tried to remedy this by making the GameCube easy to develop for in an attempt to curry favour. Third party publishers now have a lot of power in that if they can establish themselves with good games, they will have more freedom to express themselves. Also the change from cartridge to CD a bold move that has proved a masterstroke.

So in closing the original Playstation changed gaming,
1. It gave third parties respect and power.
2. Platinum games gave the masses plenty of games.
3. CD-Rom came in allowing better video/music capabilities.
4. 2d became 3d.
5. Classic games (MGS, GT, FF7-9)

There are many great games and other points whether you love or loathe Playstation, it is hard not to give them credit for the way it drove the industry forward. To everyone who reads this and appreciates something Sony did with the original Playstation post a message…because this is a reminiscing and appreciating post. To Playstation, a computing-revolution.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.