GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PSP Movies - The End?"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 05/09/06 at 12:23
Regular
Haven't been to my local WHSmith for awhile and noticed that their PSP movie section has disappeared. They used to have a good location now they've vanished and don't seem to be selling them.

Are people still buying PSP movies? Did they take off well? To be honest they seemed very pricey compared to proper DVD players. It seemed like an excuse to release any old film on the format. Perhaps it wasn't profitable afterall.
Fri 15/09/06 at 17:28
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
The idea of 'iMovies' was always going to be a success. Quite how SONY didn't see this and decided to create a BRAND NEW FORMAT (that was clearly only going to last 4 years) was sheer lunacy.

SONY have SONY Connect (SonicStage is part of this, i think.) Why on EARTH they didn't put a hard-drive in the PSP is beyond anyone. It makes too much sense, perhaps. but the UMD format is a waste of time.

My friend is a SONY nut. Everything from Playstation branded scarfs, to a £120 12" figureine of Snake (MGS3.) Yet he has ONE UMD, yes one - and he only has that because it was a gift from someone who got the UMD film for £7.99 minus 30% staff discount.

I hear there's a new PSP rumoured, but it's too late to make it profitable, surely. The amount companies have lost on the UMD has to be notable. They should run it into the ground with games only and then in 2010 - or-so, release a proper handheld. 100GB of storage, downloadable games, films, music. Allow home-brew products/code and give it a proper analogue stick. Oh, and also make it more comfortable to hold the rightway up rather than upside down... (Don't believe me, try it.)

I'd say Nintendo are on the right track. People will always go for an iPod, so why try to brek the market when you can take a completely different direction and still take 4 of the top 5 slots of Japanese software sales.

Anyway.... UMD was never going to work. Minidisc, remember that? Exactly.
Fri 15/09/06 at 16:54
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
I never saw the point of UMD movies... Pay, what, £20 to watch a film on a small screen while on the bus/train...? Then if you want to watch it with some mates you have to fork out again to buy the DVD version so you can see it on a TV screen, rather than all of you hunched around a handheld...

I can see it being useful for some people, but very, very few. People who are that desperate to watch films on the go would be better off with a portable DVD player. At least then you can also watch the film on a big TV as well.
Thu 14/09/06 at 01:16
Regular
Poor Dringo I don't think anyone will let him forget it :)
Wed 06/09/06 at 14:18
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Just a natural reaction nowadays, can't be helped :-D
Wed 06/09/06 at 13:50
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
Kawada wrote:
> Why, has Dringo paid them a visit?

As soon as I saw the word "flames".......... :D
Wed 06/09/06 at 12:33
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Why, has Dringo paid them a visit?
Wed 06/09/06 at 12:17
Regular
"Mooching around"
Hedfix wrote:
> Just what you need when launching a new movie format: your
> previously launched movie format to go down in flames.

Sony Computer Entertainment is going down in flames.
Tue 05/09/06 at 13:40
"possibly impossible"
In Sony's defence, it was only them supporting the UMD discs from the start, they just cajoled other firms into releasing stuff. BluRay is supported by quite a few high end electronics companies so even if people prefer HD DVD it will still stand a chance of surviving.

Stupid though that they just can't all work to one format before the technology is released to the public. Look what a waste all those betamax videos were once no-one wanted the players any longer. Even worse when all those 'special' releases appear on both formats this time, with films and extras you can only find on one format. Most big firms are supporting both formats at the moment, but you'll get Columbia (Sony Pictures) and LucasFilm only on Bluray and a few companies only on the HD DVD format. If one format dies a death you'll miss out on their releases unless they do a re-release on the other format.
Tue 05/09/06 at 13:15
Regular
"8==="
Just what you need when launching a new movie format: your previously launched movie format to go down in flames.
Tue 05/09/06 at 12:50
"possibly impossible"
Sony are stopping them due to them not selling. Just look on Amazon to see how many are now half price.

They are releasing movies on memory card instead, which won't work either because people won't pay for a 2gig memory card just to watch a movie.

They just need a subscription download system to download movies in the right format (which is what the new Yourpsp download site looks like its becoming - check out www.yourpsp.com)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.