GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Piracy must stop"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 14/11/00 at 17:09
Regular
Am I right in saying that we all like playing video games? Or have had a great deal of fun and satisfaction from playing these games? I think that I can say on behalf of the majority of people here that we do indeed like video gaming and playing games and I'm sure that we all want gaming to progress/evolve and develop into a great aspect of entertainment. You may well have read my post on the Nintendo Game Cube, but just in case you didn't here were the main points:
Nintendo's Game Cube should be a success because they have chosen to use a completely different type of disc, making the pirating or copying of games impossible. This is what all new consoles should have. I find it infuriating when I talk to people who tell me they're getting a certain game for a couple of quid on pirate, and the Playstation is the main culprit for this. People can copy games because they can be copied, and Playstation can be modified so that it can play modified (pirate) games. This may well be a good thing for gamers in the short term, but will ultimately destroy the world of video gaming, as we know it.

I'm annoyed because people can get away with this and games companies are losing out and making huge losses because of these pirates. Sony's Playstation may well be highly popular, but the games do not sell nearly as well as they should be doing: if the format i.e. Playstation was secure (like all of Nintendo's) then the games would sell a lot more, and games companies would be making more money, and using some of that money to invest in BETTER QUALITY games. It is Sony's fault, it is Sega's Fault, but Nintendo are actually one step ahead.

If games cannot be copied for one reason or another then we would all have to buy them as original games. This is the way it should be. PC games are easily copied, they shouldn't be, and we all lose out in the end.

I really do fear for the future of gaming, it's sad but it's a true state of affairs. I'm sure many of you have bought pirate games at some time, and I don't condone you, but don't sell pirate games - it's in your interests not to. Just think how well Game Boy games sell! They are always selling brilliantly because they aren't copy able. If the Playstation user base is so high then the games sales should be so much higher in comparison to Dreamcast and N64 sales.

All manufacturers in the future must put locks on, or not even put a handle on the door to video game piracy ensuring that all games sold are Original copies. Yes they will make money, but we'll also save money because the games prices WILL fall with increased demand.

I hope this has been of some interest to you all.
Tue 14/11/00 at 17:09
Am I right in saying that we all like playing video games? Or have had a great deal of fun and satisfaction from playing these games? I think that I can say on behalf of the majority of people here that we do indeed like video gaming and playing games and I'm sure that we all want gaming to progress/evolve and develop into a great aspect of entertainment. You may well have read my post on the Nintendo Game Cube, but just in case you didn't here were the main points:
Nintendo's Game Cube should be a success because they have chosen to use a completely different type of disc, making the pirating or copying of games impossible. This is what all new consoles should have. I find it infuriating when I talk to people who tell me they're getting a certain game for a couple of quid on pirate, and the Playstation is the main culprit for this. People can copy games because they can be copied, and Playstation can be modified so that it can play modified (pirate) games. This may well be a good thing for gamers in the short term, but will ultimately destroy the world of video gaming, as we know it.

I'm annoyed because people can get away with this and games companies are losing out and making huge losses because of these pirates. Sony's Playstation may well be highly popular, but the games do not sell nearly as well as they should be doing: if the format i.e. Playstation was secure (like all of Nintendo's) then the games would sell a lot more, and games companies would be making more money, and using some of that money to invest in BETTER QUALITY games. It is Sony's fault, it is Sega's Fault, but Nintendo are actually one step ahead.

If games cannot be copied for one reason or another then we would all have to buy them as original games. This is the way it should be. PC games are easily copied, they shouldn't be, and we all lose out in the end.

I really do fear for the future of gaming, it's sad but it's a true state of affairs. I'm sure many of you have bought pirate games at some time, and I don't condone you, but don't sell pirate games - it's in your interests not to. Just think how well Game Boy games sell! They are always selling brilliantly because they aren't copy able. If the Playstation user base is so high then the games sales should be so much higher in comparison to Dreamcast and N64 sales.

All manufacturers in the future must put locks on, or not even put a handle on the door to video game piracy ensuring that all games sold are Original copies. Yes they will make money, but we'll also save money because the games prices WILL fall with increased demand.

I hope this has been of some interest to you all.
Tue 14/11/00 at 18:23
"possibly impossible"
My view (so don't be put off if I've disagreed with you)
Tue 14/11/00 at 18:30
"possibly impossible"
oops, wrong button!

As I was saying...

1. Sony said the playstation was safe against pirates. Sega said the Dreamcast was safe against pirates. Sony said the PS2 was safe against pirates. Nintendo say the Gamecube is safe against pirates. Notice a trend?

2. The Playstation sales have actually benefitted from piracy, as people found out how many games they could get from that dodgy stall in the market the sales of PSXs soured. Now people know about Dreamcast pirate games, the Dreamcast sales go up. Coincidence? I'm not saying Piracy is good, it isn't from the point of view of the games companies although it is from the console creators view (hence the industry's 'stand back and look like your doing something when in fact you don't care' stance).

3. Cost of games is expensive, but there are reasons for this and more and more budget releases are becoming available, but human nature is to want more now and there will always be people tempted by piracy. I'm not one of them, i have enough problems trying to find time to play the games I've already got.
Tue 14/11/00 at 18:38
Regular
1) My friend said that he could jump that set of stairs.

He did.

Another friend said he could also.

He fell flat on his face.

Both believed they could jump it, otherwise they wouldn't have said it. However only one boy could do it, because he had stronger legs.

I.E. Nintendo have a digitally encoded properity disc, specially designed to stop piracy.

The playstation had CD's.

So you can't really judge there, can you?

2) Playstation games sales suffered, and a lot of games companies are on their knees because of it. It certainly doesn't help the industry.

By the way, the Dreamcast sales may have something to do with the rebate in America, and the rather damn fine games coming out for it.

3) There are reasons games are priced so high, and the quality we expect from the games are covered by the cost.
Pirated games lack the fun of multiplayer games, usually, as a code is needed to play. I don't see why the console companies don't enforce this.

And hey, I wasn't attacking you, just making some points. :)
Tue 14/11/00 at 19:00
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
i don't like video games, that's why i'm here, also i havn't got a PSX so I really couldn't care less, they have too much money as it is, I had this kind of debate at college the other day, RCAII against Napster and MP3.com, my team whooped aris as MP3.com had already lost in real life and the RCAII takes more money from the artists than Napster does, we had loads of evidence as the tutor was biased towards Napster, totaly unrelated but I hope you can forgive me.
Tue 14/11/00 at 19:14
I know its a bad thing to say and I will point out now that I am not a software pirate, but it seems that consoles would not be popular if it werent for video game piracy. Lets look at the Playstation. From the start, would were able to do disk swapping to play import games, and the same with copied games. Thats why it sold 75 million units. All down to the chip and the pirated game. Now the Dreamcast. Nobody brought it in the UK until people managed to crack it, and everywhere I see now people are copying games to use at home, to get away from buying them in the shops, and just spending 1.50 on a blank CD. Just face it, even though it looks bad, consoles like the PSone and the Dreamcast would not be selling if it werent for chipping and copied games, just face it.
Tue 14/11/00 at 19:18
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Interesting this one...
If anyone has the new copy of EDGE it has a whole section on piracy. What amazed me was that it costs more money than I think it would, even taking into account that only 3 out of 10 pirated games would be bought if piracy did not exist.

But that's not what worried me... EDGE also interviewed people in the industry via a questionaire. It turned out that about half the people weren't sure if piracy was illegal, had bought pirated games, and had given copies of games to friends! PEOPLE IN THE INDUSTRY ARE UNSURE IF PIRATING IS ILLEGAL! They didn't even know whether it led to job loses. These are the people who want to stop piracy eh? Well, ain't they just great!

Rav
Tue 14/11/00 at 19:19
Regular
So the only console people are buying for the games is the N64.

:)
Tue 14/11/00 at 19:49
"possibly impossible"
Grix,

Interesting, but to reiterate,

Point 1, I meant that all console companies try to protect against pirates, but some people love a challenge and once it's laid down they can't resist cracking the code. Look at what has happened with the supposedly unhackable DVD encryption. But yes, I agree with what you say.

Point 2, yes the software sales suffer (somewhat) but the hardware allegedly benefits (according to a survey I read but can't remember the source - I know, how convenient!)

Point 3 - Totally agree
Tue 14/11/00 at 20:01
Staff Moderator
"Must lose weight"
Piracy has stiffled the games developers. It costs far more than people realise to design and develop a game and publishers are often under financial pressure to release new games at an early date. This leads to reduced development time, bugs and poor honing of the game.

It's one of the reasons why Nintendo games, i.e. those published by Nintendo itself, often seem more polished than others. The final stages of development can take a great deal of time. If other publishers were less affected by piracy they would have considerably larger budgets for game develop and the result would be much better games.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.