GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Piracy must stop"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 14/11/00 at 17:09
Regular
Am I right in saying that we all like playing video games? Or have had a great deal of fun and satisfaction from playing these games? I think that I can say on behalf of the majority of people here that we do indeed like video gaming and playing games and I'm sure that we all want gaming to progress/evolve and develop into a great aspect of entertainment. You may well have read my post on the Nintendo Game Cube, but just in case you didn't here were the main points:
Nintendo's Game Cube should be a success because they have chosen to use a completely different type of disc, making the pirating or copying of games impossible. This is what all new consoles should have. I find it infuriating when I talk to people who tell me they're getting a certain game for a couple of quid on pirate, and the Playstation is the main culprit for this. People can copy games because they can be copied, and Playstation can be modified so that it can play modified (pirate) games. This may well be a good thing for gamers in the short term, but will ultimately destroy the world of video gaming, as we know it.

I'm annoyed because people can get away with this and games companies are losing out and making huge losses because of these pirates. Sony's Playstation may well be highly popular, but the games do not sell nearly as well as they should be doing: if the format i.e. Playstation was secure (like all of Nintendo's) then the games would sell a lot more, and games companies would be making more money, and using some of that money to invest in BETTER QUALITY games. It is Sony's fault, it is Sega's Fault, but Nintendo are actually one step ahead.

If games cannot be copied for one reason or another then we would all have to buy them as original games. This is the way it should be. PC games are easily copied, they shouldn't be, and we all lose out in the end.

I really do fear for the future of gaming, it's sad but it's a true state of affairs. I'm sure many of you have bought pirate games at some time, and I don't condone you, but don't sell pirate games - it's in your interests not to. Just think how well Game Boy games sell! They are always selling brilliantly because they aren't copy able. If the Playstation user base is so high then the games sales should be so much higher in comparison to Dreamcast and N64 sales.

All manufacturers in the future must put locks on, or not even put a handle on the door to video game piracy ensuring that all games sold are Original copies. Yes they will make money, but we'll also save money because the games prices WILL fall with increased demand.

I hope this has been of some interest to you all.
Wed 15/11/00 at 11:33
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Ditto, have fun.
Wed 15/11/00 at 00:47
Staff Moderator
"Must lose weight"
Ooh arr - I'm orf to splice the mainbrace me hearties. Chop off their 'ands, that's what I say - Ooh arr!

I won't be around for a while but it has been a pleasure meeting you all and I hope to come back for some more bug testing before long.
Tue 14/11/00 at 22:39
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Piracy is the spawn of the Devil and must be exorcised. Any wrong doer should be strung up, castrated, disembowelled and garrotted. Slowly. And not necessarily in that order.

However, it does provide a thriving blackmarket economy in some of the third world nations, providing life supporting incomes to families striken by drought, famine, disease and war, who would otherwise have no other source of livelihood.

Errr....
Tue 14/11/00 at 22:38
Regular
The thing about pirates are that the games are damn cheap!
They are way to expensive at normal retail price, but as pirated it is just for 50p!
Tue 14/11/00 at 22:34
"possibly impossible"
Quote: "the only people who can stop it are the manufacturers themselves"

Problem is, as I said before, as soon as a manufacturer says that they have a pirateproof system, then that's a challenge laid down to the pirates. It's the same with hackers and 'secure' sites. Yes, they should still keep on trying, but I'd target the big pirates (no, not long john silver) the people who supply lots of people with software, these are the people who seem to be the first to break the encryptions and find ways around the hardware. FAST are still working to this end and good luck to them.
Tue 14/11/00 at 22:30
I doubt if any of us are evil, but in regards to my original topic I think that we all agree that Piracy is bad for the gaming market. I'm glad that so many of you have taken the trouble to respond because so many decent posts get ignored these days, and this is an important issue. I Reiterate my point that all gaming companies that make a console must, in the future, follow Niintendo's example and make it impossible for piracy to rear it's ugly head in our world ever again. The Piracy in the PC world is just everywhere, so the same applies. It's a disgrace!
And, at the end of the day, the only people who can stop it are the manufacturers themselves.
Tue 14/11/00 at 22:08
Regular
Ahhh! Another batch of Clones! Which ones evil than?
Tue 14/11/00 at 22:07
"possibly impossible"
My head hurts!
Tue 14/11/00 at 21:58
Regular
Tony and Tony, Dan and Dan_uk?
Tue 14/11/00 at 20:30
Regular
"Sanity is for loser"
Piracy must stop, as Tony says, the game companies would be able to sell us their stuff cheaper, so we benefit. And, youre not getting very good quality on pirated games.
And anyway, isn't it illegal?
<:} Bow to the conehead revoloution!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.