GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Games Potential"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 28/07/02 at 11:44
Regular
Ever get disappointed when a game doesn’t live up to its hype? Some games that have a good original idea and have the capabilities to be excellent, don’t always turn out to be that good, and for me, that makes me annoyed because the game developers really ruin an idea when other game developers would have really make something special of it.

With the next-gen consoles out now and have been for a few months, game developers have the potential to make some of the best games ever. I know, as a Nintendo fan, with Perfect Dark: Zero rumours flying around and with Mario Kart on the GC to be announced, Nintendo have the real potential to make the GC the best console ever.

Most games do have the potential to at last be worth a rent. Even with a poor idea, if it offers at least a few hours entertainment then it should be worth at least a couple of quid. But, unforntunatly this isn’t really the case. I have to say that most games on the Xbox are only worth a rent, if that, while I would like to own most of the games on GC. It seems that the quality of games that Nintendo and other game developers that make games for the GC are of a much higher standard to the one on the PS2 or the Xbox. You may disagree but I’m sure that a lot of people agree with me.

Like I had said before, with games coming out in the near future like the new Mario and Zelda, I think that around this time the gaming industry can rake the money in. I know that with games coming out at about £40 and they’re of the calibur of the Mario’s and the Zelda’s, there is going to be a lot of money spent and made.

Overall, a small percentage of games that are made reach their full potential and the expectations of the public and the critics.

What are your views?

Indy
Sun 28/07/02 at 11:44
Ever get disappointed when a game doesn’t live up to its hype? Some games that have a good original idea and have the capabilities to be excellent, don’t always turn out to be that good, and for me, that makes me annoyed because the game developers really ruin an idea when other game developers would have really make something special of it.

With the next-gen consoles out now and have been for a few months, game developers have the potential to make some of the best games ever. I know, as a Nintendo fan, with Perfect Dark: Zero rumours flying around and with Mario Kart on the GC to be announced, Nintendo have the real potential to make the GC the best console ever.

Most games do have the potential to at last be worth a rent. Even with a poor idea, if it offers at least a few hours entertainment then it should be worth at least a couple of quid. But, unforntunatly this isn’t really the case. I have to say that most games on the Xbox are only worth a rent, if that, while I would like to own most of the games on GC. It seems that the quality of games that Nintendo and other game developers that make games for the GC are of a much higher standard to the one on the PS2 or the Xbox. You may disagree but I’m sure that a lot of people agree with me.

Like I had said before, with games coming out in the near future like the new Mario and Zelda, I think that around this time the gaming industry can rake the money in. I know that with games coming out at about £40 and they’re of the calibur of the Mario’s and the Zelda’s, there is going to be a lot of money spent and made.

Overall, a small percentage of games that are made reach their full potential and the expectations of the public and the critics.

What are your views?

Indy
Sun 28/07/02 at 11:50
Regular
"[SE] Acetrooper"
Good post, Indy.

I see that on your first post, you've slightly slated the Xbox and PS2, being a Ninty as you are :D

Not to worry. If you would've slated them even more, then you may have found yourself amidst a raging console wars arguement :D

Good post.
Sun 28/07/02 at 13:08
Regular
"no longer El Blokey"
Pff, you're here for one day and already make a stupidly unreasonable statement.

The GCN does NOT have better queality games than the PS2 and XBOX.
Sun 28/07/02 at 13:20
Regular
El Swandre wrote:
> Pff, you're here for one day and already make a stupidly unreasonable
> statement.
>
> The GCN does NOT have better queality games than the PS2 and XBOX.

Indeed it does. However, the Playstation 2 also has games that are better quality than some X-box and GameCube games, and the X-box has some games that are better quality than GameCube and Playstation 2 games!
Sun 28/07/02 at 15:23
Regular
"no longer El Blokey"
Edgy is correct.

Each console has it's own cluster of killer apps out/coming out. None has 'a better quality' of games.
Sun 28/07/02 at 15:27
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Out of 2000 games released every year, only 25 break even, and 25 make a profit. When they do make a profit it's massive. So why then do publishers allow developers to create second rate games? They should stop them in their tracks!
Sun 28/07/02 at 16:14
Regular
"[SE] Acetrooper"
*Wipes eyes*

Ahh, such magical, rare agreement should be remembered for all time, and recorded for others to go by!

*Looks at Edgy and El Swandre with misty eyes*

:D
Sun 28/07/02 at 16:17
Regular
The thing is that each console will proberbly have a better game than the others on one type of game e.g.:

Gamecube may have the best shooter.
PS2 may have the best racer.
XBOX may have the best RPG.

I`m not saying they will im just giving an example.
The thing is no console will be superior over the others completey, but people still will moan about how one console is better than another.

One other thing, I know what you mean about how games have good ideas but some how dont make it as good as they could but once that idea is around other companies may pick up on that and make it better.

Oh and a word of advice i was new a few days ago and i soon found out people dont like "u`s" and "r`s" and prefer there proper spelling.
And if your like me it will take some getting use to, but anyway welcome to the forums and you will fit in as long as you dont get on anybodys wick cause they are all genrally nice, and on this point id like to thank everyone for not picking out all the bad stuff in my topics.

i had something else to write but i cant remember what,oh well if i remember see you soon.
Sun 28/07/02 at 16:20
Regular
umm about the thing about spelling i just remembered it wasnt this one i was on about cause you have good spelling.

soz for that my mistake but at least you know now.
Sun 28/07/02 at 17:05
Regular
"no longer El Blokey"
===SONICRAV---> wrote:
> Out of 2000 games released every year, only 25 break even, and 25 make
> a profit. When they do make a profit it's massive. So why then do
> publishers allow developers to create second rate games? They should
> stop them in their tracks!

My theory is that 3DO is owned by Sony or Microsoft, and they're making them go GC-exclusive to ruin Nintendo...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.