GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"LAN questions"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 26/07/02 at 19:27
Regular
I'm pretty experienced with computers but never had time to mess about with networking until now. I've got an old PC with a ethernet card running Win 95 and a newer one also with an ethernet card but running Windows XP. Is it possible to link between the different operating systems? If so, do I need a hub for just the two PCs or can I just put one cable between them?
Fri 26/07/02 at 19:27
Regular
"with a blunt knife"
I'm pretty experienced with computers but never had time to mess about with networking until now. I've got an old PC with a ethernet card running Win 95 and a newer one also with an ethernet card but running Windows XP. Is it possible to link between the different operating systems? If so, do I need a hub for just the two PCs or can I just put one cable between them?
Fri 26/07/02 at 19:48
Regular
".......on the attac"
You'll just need a twisted pair cable to link the two machines.
Fri 26/07/02 at 20:16
Regular
"with a blunt knife"
Thanks, but will Win XP work with Win 95 and if so what do I need to set up?
Fri 26/07/02 at 20:23
Regular
".......on the attac"
I can't see why it wouldn't work.

I linked a 98 machine to an XP one a bit back. I can't remember what I did but it all involves messing around with the Network settings in Control Panel.

Make sure both machines are in the same workgroup and both have TCP/IP, Windows file and print sharing, Client for Microsoft Networks and Microsoft Family Logon enabled.
Sat 27/07/02 at 12:15
You just need to remember to set the IP address of each PC. Use one of these ranges:

10.10.*.*
127.0.*.*
192.168.*.*

These are ranges left specifically for internal use. Also, the computers must have consecutive IP addresses, e.g. 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2.

You can set this from the Network area of the Control Panel, and check it using:

Windows 95: Start > Run > winipcfg
Windows XP: Start > Run > cmd > ipconfig

Make sure that the computers have the same Workgroup name, and different Machine names. If asked, set your subnet mask to 255.255.255.0

All those settings can be found in Control Panel > Network
Sat 27/07/02 at 15:32
Regular
"with a blunt knife"
Well, i found the problem. I had the wrong cable (Patch instead of Crossover) and believe it or not PC World were happy to replace it even though the packaging had been ripped open.

Thanks for the IP addresses, both computers seem to be working fine.
Mon 29/07/02 at 19:00
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
I just re-wired my CAT 5 into some crossover...
Tue 30/07/02 at 13:54
Regular
"hockeyphotos.com"
Nimco wrote:
> Also, the computers must have consecutive IP addresses,
> e.g. 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2.

Bzzzt - wrong.

Chris,

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.