GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Gaming as a sport"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 14/11/00 at 12:07
Regular
I was reading OPS2 magazine on the train this morning and stumbled upon an article on Gaming competitions. Apparently they are really popular in Korea and have become somewhat of a spectator sport.

I was just thinking that it would be great if something like that took off here. They seem to have organised teams and leagues and they actively recruit the best gamers onto their teams. I think this could work as a televised spectator sport, if the viewer got to see the games being played and the cameras didnt waste too much time showing the actual players.

Games such as Tekken and Unreal etc would lend themselves to this sort of thing perfectly. If the format could include gaming news and reviews to warm you up for the main event then I for one would pay to watch it.

Thoughs anyone!!!

By the way what do you all think of the PS2 magazines you have read so far. Which ones do you like best.
Fri 09/05/08 at 15:36
Regular
Welcome to the new Barra and Vatersay Island Produce Show site. Please use this forum responsibly for general chat, comments and questions about the crafts.

Many thanks

Administrator
Tue 14/11/00 at 18:41
Computer games competitions will b pretty cool on t.v but an 8 year old wouldn't b able to play unreal cuz i think it's a 15.

Anyone remember a programme about 7-10 years ago presented by violet berlin?? that had contestants against each other, it was with the megadrive, it would b a much better more realistic games version of that!
Tue 14/11/00 at 13:26
I've always bought three mags - Official PlayStation, Play (which is my favourite PS1 mag), and PlayStation Plus (currently PlayNation, and changing to The Player next issue!).

Recently, I've been getting PSW (PlayStation World), and I've also picked up P2 and PSM2.

With the subscription to the official PS2 mag, that works out to a lot of cash every month! Once things settle with PS2, though, I shall be reducing the number I buy - hopefully!

I'll probably end up with both official mags (yes, I still envisage buying some PS1 games - I have Driver 2 and Tomb Raider Chronicles on order), and one unofficial - probably PSM2. We'll see! I'll probably buy the others occasionally, if there's something of interest in them.
Tue 14/11/00 at 12:51
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
I found that the trouble with games mags was that they were always trying to outdo each other and having to make up a lot of stuff just to stay ahead.
On the PS I always stuck with Official UK PlayStation Magazine from Future Publishing because I liked their style, (witty in places but good coverage of industry news) but mainly because of the Database section at the back where all games that were reviewed were listed, and I always used that to pick out new games for my collection.
Tue 14/11/00 at 12:50
>I am going to subscribe to OPS2 magazine mostly because...

Same here. It's a shame, really, that PSM2 isn't the official mag. It is by Future, after all.

Also, why has the official PlayStation mag changed its abbreviation from 'PSM' to 'OPM' after all this time? i can only think that it's to avoid confusion with their PSM2 mag.
Tue 14/11/00 at 12:34
Unfortunately I dont have satellite TV so I have to watch BITS or nothing.

I have OPS2 magazine and it is good and you get a cover disk (but at £4.99 its a bit steep), I have sibscribed to PSM2 as it is great and like you I did not think much of P2.

I am going to subscribe to OPS2 magazine mostly because I want the cover disks but from a journalistic point of view I prefer PSM2's writing, layout and coverage style.
Tue 14/11/00 at 12:26
Having missed the first one, I caught Sky's Blam! programme on Saturday. They had an item on *professional* gamers, who travel the world taking part in games competitions. And would you believe, they actually make a living out of it?! Some compos in the US offer in excess of $100,000 as prize money! What a life - if you're good enough.

(Not sure about Blam! - didn't know it was basically one long advert for GamePlay.com - it had some interesting items, but is not really what I want in a videogame show.)

I'd certainly watch televised competitions. I think most gamers would, as it's something that we're interested in, and it's also something that most people can take up easily. It would certainly be the only sport in the world where an eight-year-old can compete seriously with a much older opponent! Videogames provide a level playing field for absolutely everyone - regardless of age, sex, etc. A good angle for coverage would be over the shoulders of the competitors, so you can see their hands working, *and* the screen they're looking at - with cuts to show the game only, full-screen.

Anyway, as for the PS2 mags... I've subscribed to the official PS2 mag, but haven't had the first issue through yet. The only other two I've tried aer P2 and PSM2, and PSM2 is definitely my favourite at the moment.
Tue 14/11/00 at 12:07
I was reading OPS2 magazine on the train this morning and stumbled upon an article on Gaming competitions. Apparently they are really popular in Korea and have become somewhat of a spectator sport.

I was just thinking that it would be great if something like that took off here. They seem to have organised teams and leagues and they actively recruit the best gamers onto their teams. I think this could work as a televised spectator sport, if the viewer got to see the games being played and the cameras didnt waste too much time showing the actual players.

Games such as Tekken and Unreal etc would lend themselves to this sort of thing perfectly. If the format could include gaming news and reviews to warm you up for the main event then I for one would pay to watch it.

Thoughs anyone!!!

By the way what do you all think of the PS2 magazines you have read so far. Which ones do you like best.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.