GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PES2 Preview written by Me"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 24/07/02 at 23:29
Regular
Here is the first of 2 parts to the Exclusive PES2.com preview of PES2, written by myself. Comments appriciated

-----------------------------------------------

INTRODUCTION

In recent years, FIFA has been the dominant force in terms of sales. The fact that it contains below average gameplay didn't seem to put people off, until now.

Last November the Pro Evolution series came to the PS2, and finally FIFA's dominance began to slip away. More and more people began to realise whtat they had been missing out on. Even now, 9 months on, PES remains in the top 20 charts. Of cause now there is a sequal coming, and it promises to be even better.

FEATURES

PS2er's who are lucky enough to have played the import of Winning Eleven 6 will know just how good PES2 is going to be. A few of the new features to note are:

- A brand new 3rd division in the popular Master League mode

- 8 new club teams (including Aston Villa, Celtic and Rangers)

- Over 50 National Teams including all of those from this years World Cup

- Much improved commentary over the appaling Chris James and Terry Butcher (most likely will be John Champion and Mark Lawrencen)

- Even smoother animations, with special "signature" moves for certain players (i.e. David Beckham dragging his left foot under his right when taking a free kick)

- Tweaked gameplay giving an extra feeling of control

- Ability to modify almost everything, including Kits, Flags and ALL Players names. You can also now create up to 10 custom teams

- Brand new training challenges, such as dribbling and shooting, which are a great addition to the game

These new and improved features are more than enough to make PES2 a MUST purchase for all true football fans. But be warned, if you are new to the series, don't be put of by the seemingly comlicated play.

GAMEPLAY

As with all PES games, this one must be played for at least a month before true pleasure of playing the game willcome. If you have never played the games series before you will probably find that you won't win any matches for at least a couple of days, even on the easiest difficulty. But soon enough you will begin to master the realistic style of the game, and pass the ball to create chances instead of just racing down the field with one player and shooting (like you would in FIFA). Once you get the hang of the game, I guarantee you won't ever look back, and you won't stop playing PES2 until PES3 comes out.

For the PES pro's out there, there are lots of little gameplay improvements which you will pick up on immediately. The most noteable change is that the game will play approximately 20% quicker than PES. Is this a good thing? I'm not sure, but hopefully Konami will incooporate an option which allows you to set the speed of the game (like in ISS Pro Evolution on the PSone).

The biggest improvement for me, and although it may seem small, is the ability to stop your players from pointlessly chasing a ball. You have all probably been in the situation on PES where you want to just let the ball run out for a goal kick but your attacked foolishly runs after the balls and knocks it behind for corner. Now, by pressing a combination of R1 + R2 you can stop your players in their tracks.

Some of the other tweaks are;

- Your players recover quicker from a tackle, instead of just standing their like headless chickens

- Players now turn quicker when on the ball, and can also shield it better than in PES

- Passing is much crisper which makes gameplay much smoother and true to life

-------------------------------------------------

Part two will focus on the Sound, Graphics and special focus's on new aspects to the game, such as the Training Modes
Wed 24/07/02 at 23:29
Here is the first of 2 parts to the Exclusive PES2.com preview of PES2, written by myself. Comments appriciated

-----------------------------------------------

INTRODUCTION

In recent years, FIFA has been the dominant force in terms of sales. The fact that it contains below average gameplay didn't seem to put people off, until now.

Last November the Pro Evolution series came to the PS2, and finally FIFA's dominance began to slip away. More and more people began to realise whtat they had been missing out on. Even now, 9 months on, PES remains in the top 20 charts. Of cause now there is a sequal coming, and it promises to be even better.

FEATURES

PS2er's who are lucky enough to have played the import of Winning Eleven 6 will know just how good PES2 is going to be. A few of the new features to note are:

- A brand new 3rd division in the popular Master League mode

- 8 new club teams (including Aston Villa, Celtic and Rangers)

- Over 50 National Teams including all of those from this years World Cup

- Much improved commentary over the appaling Chris James and Terry Butcher (most likely will be John Champion and Mark Lawrencen)

- Even smoother animations, with special "signature" moves for certain players (i.e. David Beckham dragging his left foot under his right when taking a free kick)

- Tweaked gameplay giving an extra feeling of control

- Ability to modify almost everything, including Kits, Flags and ALL Players names. You can also now create up to 10 custom teams

- Brand new training challenges, such as dribbling and shooting, which are a great addition to the game

These new and improved features are more than enough to make PES2 a MUST purchase for all true football fans. But be warned, if you are new to the series, don't be put of by the seemingly comlicated play.

GAMEPLAY

As with all PES games, this one must be played for at least a month before true pleasure of playing the game willcome. If you have never played the games series before you will probably find that you won't win any matches for at least a couple of days, even on the easiest difficulty. But soon enough you will begin to master the realistic style of the game, and pass the ball to create chances instead of just racing down the field with one player and shooting (like you would in FIFA). Once you get the hang of the game, I guarantee you won't ever look back, and you won't stop playing PES2 until PES3 comes out.

For the PES pro's out there, there are lots of little gameplay improvements which you will pick up on immediately. The most noteable change is that the game will play approximately 20% quicker than PES. Is this a good thing? I'm not sure, but hopefully Konami will incooporate an option which allows you to set the speed of the game (like in ISS Pro Evolution on the PSone).

The biggest improvement for me, and although it may seem small, is the ability to stop your players from pointlessly chasing a ball. You have all probably been in the situation on PES where you want to just let the ball run out for a goal kick but your attacked foolishly runs after the balls and knocks it behind for corner. Now, by pressing a combination of R1 + R2 you can stop your players in their tracks.

Some of the other tweaks are;

- Your players recover quicker from a tackle, instead of just standing their like headless chickens

- Players now turn quicker when on the ball, and can also shield it better than in PES

- Passing is much crisper which makes gameplay much smoother and true to life

-------------------------------------------------

Part two will focus on the Sound, Graphics and special focus's on new aspects to the game, such as the Training Modes
Thu 25/07/02 at 12:10
Regular
You would do well if you posted this on the reviews site.
Thu 25/07/02 at 12:26
Regular
"Steve-O RuleZ"
The R1 + R2 stop move is great, it really does help out when your player is running for a pointless ball!!!

The passing is a lot better as well!!!
Thu 25/07/02 at 13:12
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Hey, Hitman, are you the Webmaster from PES2?
Thu 25/07/02 at 19:38
yup thats me :)
Thu 25/07/02 at 21:21
Regular
really? how cool :-|

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.