GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Humour in computer games..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 24/07/02 at 12:19
Regular
We can all get a bit serious about our games - and I'm probably one of the worst culprits when it comes to this (just look at some of my previous topics!). But surely a sense of humour is important in games - in the games themselves and the people who play them.

Do you have any stand out funny moments in computer games?

Personally I enjoyed the time when I was playing Silent Hill on the PSone (not a game that has a lot of laughs in it!) when my character went up to a door to open it, stepped backwards and fell down the steps on to his backside.

It was so like something I would do in real life (me being a bit of a klutz) that it had me and my mate in stitches.

And then there are the countless times when I've blown myself up in Perfect Dark by being completely useless with the grenades....the number of times that I've thrown a grenade that bounces off a wall into my face...

..and there are many, many other fun moments I've experienced.

and then there are games that are made to be funny (i.e. games like Conker's Bad Fur Day). Do these games really work? Personally I found Conker to be hilarious...

What do you think?
Wed 24/07/02 at 12:19
We can all get a bit serious about our games - and I'm probably one of the worst culprits when it comes to this (just look at some of my previous topics!). But surely a sense of humour is important in games - in the games themselves and the people who play them.

Do you have any stand out funny moments in computer games?

Personally I enjoyed the time when I was playing Silent Hill on the PSone (not a game that has a lot of laughs in it!) when my character went up to a door to open it, stepped backwards and fell down the steps on to his backside.

It was so like something I would do in real life (me being a bit of a klutz) that it had me and my mate in stitches.

And then there are the countless times when I've blown myself up in Perfect Dark by being completely useless with the grenades....the number of times that I've thrown a grenade that bounces off a wall into my face...

..and there are many, many other fun moments I've experienced.

and then there are games that are made to be funny (i.e. games like Conker's Bad Fur Day). Do these games really work? Personally I found Conker to be hilarious...

What do you think?
Wed 24/07/02 at 12:24
Regular
"Remember me?"
Throwing grenades only to have them bounce back in your face? Wow. I think I've found my soul mate.

Personally, I also found Conker's BFD to be, well... bloody hilarious to be honest. It had a kinda South Park-esque humour to it in some places, along with childish toilet humour and cartoon gore; which are two things that I can't get enough of.

As for games that aren't meant to be funny but end up causing wet-pants-inducing laughter... has anyone played Turok 2 on the N64 and collected the Mag 60 weapon? Adon's "Maaaag 60" shenanigans always crack me up big time.
Wed 24/07/02 at 12:24
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
The funniest thing I've ever seen in a computer game was in The Sims.

My character was walking up the stairs to go to bed, but instead of getting into the bed, he walked through the bed, got stuck in the middle and started twitching. Then, unfortunetly for him, he wet himself, so there was a bed, with a person stading in the middle of it, with a pool of big water underneath.

You had to see it to actually believe how funny it was.

:D
Wed 24/07/02 at 12:27
Regular
"Remember me?"
AfroJoe wrote:
> The funniest thing I've ever seen in a computer game was in The
> Sims.
>
> My character was walking up the stairs to go to bed, but instead of
> getting into the bed, he walked through the bed, got stuck in the
> middle and started twitching. Then, unfortunetly for him, he wet
> himself, so there was a bed, with a person stading in the middle of
> it, with a pool of big water underneath.
>
> You had to see it to actually believe how funny it was.
>
> :D

Oooh oohhh! Has anyone done lesbians on the Sims?! Hilarious stuff. And once, me and my cousin had a little black kid living on his own with only a microwave, a bin and an adventure playground to keep him company. Needless to say we didn't get too far with him...
Wed 24/07/02 at 12:27
The Playman wrote:
> Do you have any stand out funny moments in computer games?

Many. But the one that stand out most is the 2 witches in Zelda: OOT funny when they were bickering at each other after they'd died.

> and then there are games that are made to be funny (i.e. games like
> Conker's Bad Fur Day). Do these games really work? Personally I found
> Conker to be hilarious...

Defintaely. Scouse dung beatles, the Saving Private Ryan spoof, the Teddyz and the poo monster's song!
Thu 25/07/02 at 15:22
Regular
"'Excellent....'"
what i used to do on goldeneye is.........you know when you finish a level there is a little movie........well i planted aload of proximity mines, then finished the level.........in the movie i showed james bond getting blown up but it didn't hurt him but it looked fantastic.

Also in simpsons road rage all the characters come out with humerous comments which make the game more enjoyable!!
Thu 25/07/02 at 15:28
Regular
"That's right!"
Playing Warcraft and Command & Conquer, I'd say

"Are you gay?"

Then give them an order so they'd say

"Yes sir"

Oh, how I laughed... ahem, sorry
Thu 25/07/02 at 15:42
"I h8 ron atkinson"
MoJoJoJo wrote:
> Playing Warcraft and Command & Conquer, I'd say
>
> "Are you gay?"
>
> Then give them an order so they'd say
>
> "Yes sir"
>
> Oh, how I laughed... ahem, sorry

Somebody needs to get out a little bit more :D
Thu 25/07/02 at 15:47
Regular
"That's right!"
Hey, I was 11 years old at the time!
Thu 25/07/02 at 15:47
"I h8 ron atkinson"
and your 11 and a half now :P

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.