GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Has everyone else seen this junk?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 23/07/02 at 22:41
Regular
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/%7Erja14/tcpa-faq.html

I reckon its about time someone took a sledge hammer to Bill "I have no balls" Gates' teeth, maybe then he'll get the point nobody likes him, or his ideas on a totalitarian society. There is a fine line between piracy protection and violation of rights, and he's crossed it, he is basically suggesting that breaching everyone's privacy and removing freedom of speech etc. is an ok thing to do. What an arsehoIe.
Wed 24/07/02 at 10:04
Wow. That is a very important document, please don't not read it just because it is too long, that is the kind of attitude that MS relies upon!

I don't hate Microsoft at all. In fact, my career is built upon being able to use their products, but this new TCPA / Palladium seems to centralise a lot of copyright / privacy control issues into a few companies like MS and Intel.

There are some far reaching issues... fair enough if they want to crack down on piracy and copyright infringment, however, I think this system is way open to abuse of our privacy, the recent Media Player update scandal is a storm in a teacup compared to this.

TCPA / Palladium will just make business even more dependant upon the WinTel platform, squeezing out competitors like Linux/Apache and Mac, and that can only be bad for us in the long run... MS will be able to start charging us extortionate fees for simple upgrades, service packs etc, just because they will be "the last man standing".
Wed 24/07/02 at 00:51
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
The one in Bristol did, dunno if it still does. I had to use it to make some little price tabs for the shelves. The one button thing was anoying as hell to use, and it was one of the big ones, so I kept thinging it was two and trying to 'right-click' stuff, make the others laugh.
Wed 24/07/02 at 00:18
Regular
I didnt have a choice in my PC

I HATE BILL GATES.
Wed 24/07/02 at 00:09
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
Tony wrote:
> Everybody seems to hate Microsoft, until it comes to buying their
> products. Then they seem to love them. Staff here are even asking
> for Microsoft mice for their iMacs!

You're up late!

Anyway, does every SR shop and office have an imac?

I know the ones in Upminster do.

I don't like the look of the mouses though, they look uncomfortable and strange. From what I saw they have only got one button?
Tue 23/07/02 at 23:57
Regular
"That's right!"
By doing this, Gates is just ASKING for another company to come along and say "Hey, we won't do any of this stuff if you use OUR programmes etc"

Boom, a rival company takes some of Gate's business, although most companies will obviously stick with MS (I remember reading a company refused to upgrade to Windows 95 because they said it would cost too much to train their staff on how to use it... idiots)
Tue 23/07/02 at 23:56
Staff Moderator
"Must lose weight"
Everybody seems to hate Microsoft, until it comes to buying their products. Then they seem to love them. Staff here are even asking for Microsoft mice for their iMacs!
Tue 23/07/02 at 23:28
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
Doesn't Bill gates already spy on your every move?

Whenever you are doing something important on your PC, he looks and 'for a laugh' decides to crash it!

And I'm pretty sure it's himwho keeps turning my webcam on!
Tue 23/07/02 at 23:19
"Stupid Newbie :D"
In short Phil:

Bill wants complete control over everyone's computer. He wants to install software that will prevent you from borrowing stuff from friends, force you to fork out the full cost of software, and if you buy a cheaper cut off or "lite" version - you're only allowed to use it for X amount of days before it deletes itself (such as music CDs you're only allowed to play 3 times in total).

He wants to integrate software into future releases of Windows, and hardcode into computer hardware, that will delete ANYTHING from your PC he is not happy with. Some examples mentioned are any journalistic work you've written that bad mouths the government etc. - if you say "George W. Bush smells" - the PC will automatically delete your work. All the software will be in constant communication with the company's computers when you're online, sending them information on the way you're using the software, and if they see it's been modified in any way or you're using it to open files of another program or vice versa - it all gets wiped.

Take a read through, its basically the start of totalitarian regime. Tom obviously didn't as the fool thinks this is about liking or disliking Bill gates, rather than what he wants EVERYONE to be subject to. ;)
Tue 23/07/02 at 23:15
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
I think he has a wife, and a few children.
Tue 23/07/02 at 23:06
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
Tóm wrote:
> With all that money, I don't think he cares if you hate him.

Is he still single?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.