GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Mayor Boris"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 03/05/08 at 01:34
Regular
haha :D what were you people in London thinking? He's a great character and I love him to bits, but come on! ;D

Well done Boris.
Mon 05/05/08 at 13:28
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
There are two things which motivate people to vote for extreme parties: ignorance and deteriorating conditions. Personally, having seen some of their policies whilst doing some research for a seminar; ie allowing increased gun ownership, withdrawal from the EU, the sort of economic policies which history seems to have shown as idiotic (not that I profess to having an awful lot of knowledge on this) and general racism, I can't see how anyone with any sense would vote for them.

A seemingly total end to immigration? Yes, you're more likely to get on the housing list, but coupled with policies to have fewer women in the workplace and give jobs to "British workers" (When most immigrants take jobs we don't want, or don't have enough people qualified for) and the likely loss of jobs with EU withdrawal and putting up barriers to trade, good luck with enjoying your council flat and being less likely to have a job, let alone a decent one! And you'll be more likely to get shot as well.

No idea what their policies in a localised sense would be; no more brown wheelie bins?

Thankfully, our electoral system and hopefully education system, won't allow such things to happen... although some good news in London, that UKIP are losing support.
Sun 04/05/08 at 14:34
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Sibs wrote:
> BoJo

Sounds like the name of a clown. Apt
Sun 04/05/08 at 12:27
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
The problem with using the BNP as a 'protest' vote is now they actually have a seat... So many people justify using these 'protest' votes with "Oh, it's just sending a message to Labour / the Tories"... Erm, no, it's validating them as a legitimate political party, when they're a bunch of racist morons who compare immigrants to cockroachs.

Hell, if you want to protest againt immigration, maybe even vote for UKIP... They're anti-immigration, anti-europe, but without the long history of racism (although I'm sure they're not without their fair share of racists).

Another problem is the turnout (according to the BBC, 45%) which in my opinion is low because so many people are resigned to the fact that it'll be Labour or the Tories winning AGAIN. This is exacerbated by the media - All of the free London papers basically billed the mayoral race as Boris VS Ken. Paddick got an occasional look in, Sian Berry (Green Party) got a tiny bit of coverage and the other candidates I never saw anything on. I didn't realise UKIP had a candidate until looking at the results, and I've never even heard of some of the other parties (Christian Choice, English Democrats). Apparently the BNP got their seat because they had over 5% of the vote... I think it's safe to say most people who would vote BNP did. If you agree with that, then all that was needed to keep the BNP out was getting more people to vote.

So it comes back to this pseudo two-party system we have, where other 'fringe' parties can have some influence, but really most people simply don't care who wins because it'll just be red or blue again and the differences are marginal and seem to be getting smaller (I'm talking generally here, not necessarily about Ken and BoJo).
Sun 04/05/08 at 04:09
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Sibs wrote:
> Potentially more worrying (because we all knew Boris or Ken would
> win anyway) is the fact the BNP managed to get a seat in the
> London Assembly. What does it say about the country when the our
> most diverse city gives that many votes to a racist party?

It's exactly because areas of London are so lacking in diversity that pushes (lets face it, white) people to vote for them. For all the claims of ethnic diversity, there are certain areas of London that are anything but.
What concerns me is when i hear reasonably intelligent people talking about the BNP as an option and it's something i've heard far more recently. There is a very clear undercurrent of resentment coming from both black and white towards the Asian community for failing to mix or adapt and i feel that is being completely ignored in favour of the positive approach coming from the media.
Aside from the police, i think the black/white thing is slowly disappearing. There will always be a minority who will never get on but i cant remember the last time i heard anyone white complaining about anyone black. It's all about immigrants and asians now.
Sun 04/05/08 at 03:13
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Potentially more worrying (because we all knew Boris or Ken would win anyway) is the fact the BNP managed to get a seat in the London Assembly. What does it say about the country when the our most diverse city gives that many votes to a racist party?
Sun 04/05/08 at 02:29
Regular
"Monochromatic"
I think most people voted against Ken because of the congestion charge. These people are selfish retards who need to regain the use of their legs.
I've actually heard some people say they wanted him out because they thought he was responsible for the smoking ban. These people should be lined up against a wall and shot for the sake of future generations.
After all the Bush-bashing that's gone on in this country, i'm dismayed that my fellow londoners have proven themselves just as stupid and blinded by style over substance.
Sat 03/05/08 at 22:47
Regular
"Mooching around"
I blame:

- People having no idea on politics, and therefore hate Ken because the media dislikes him. Ask most people why they "hate" Ken, and not many will be able to give a proper answer.

- The annoying need for people to think that if they switch between Labour and the Torries, everything will be ok. Otherwise known as the perpetual 10 year plan.

- Idiotic teenagers I know voting Boris because "he's a laugh ain he?" Eurgh.

Ironic how we Brits laugh at America for keeping Mr. Bush in power, then we go and do the same idiotic thing. (though noticeably scaled down :P)
Sat 03/05/08 at 14:12
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
I think in the current climate of negative politics, the conservatives could have had a stuffed toy as a candidate and it probably would have won.

Boris Johnson may well be a decent Mayor but I've got little faith he'll have learnt to stop giving the media ammunition to make him look like a bumbling fool.
Sat 03/05/08 at 13:01
Regular
"I like turtles"
Great news !!!.Boris is an absolute legend.
Sat 03/05/08 at 12:34
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
I say well done to him. Only good Red Ken ever seems to have done was lobbying for Crossrail, with a remarkable talent for corruption and dealing with rather unsavoury characters like that nutjob tyrant from Venezuela...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.