GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Monitor/Graphics card issues"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 21/07/02 at 20:47
Regular
I've got a GeForce 3 card in my PC, and an ADi MicroScan monitor.

Just recently, my monitor picture is appearing very bright, even with the brightness turned right down on the monitor itself. The black background looks light grey, and colours look pretty washed out.

When the picture first appears, everything is okay - but after a second or so, it moves up to this brighter image.

I've checked the gamma on my card's settings, and that's not set exceptionally high.

Should I suspect a failing in my graphics card, or my monitor?
Sat 27/07/02 at 15:21
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
Have you tried to demagnetize it, demagnetize should be in the monitors control menu somewhere, my monitor was displaying strange colours once and this fixed it. the demagnetize symbol should be something like this

[----]
[\ ]
[ \ ]
[ \ ]
[ \]

If thats bad its like an "n" with a line through it
Mon 22/07/02 at 00:22
"High polygon count"
Yeah, but this isn't a faint glow - this is proper 'grey', just before it switches off = where it used to be pretty much black. :-)
Mon 22/07/02 at 00:17
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
No, every monitor gives a faint glow when in poer saving mode, because the gun is still firing, even if it's firing "black", whatever it thinks that is. You'll see if you turn down the brightness it'ss look darker. What you're seeing is the same as "black" while your computer is turned on, bt you don't notice it as much.

I never use powersave anyway. I hate the grace period while it warms up, and my screensaver's is preeety :-)
Mon 22/07/02 at 00:05
"High polygon count"
Well, I managed to borrow another monitor, and that looked okay. Now that I have re-attached my own monitor, that too seems to be okay. I'm fairly sure it wasn't down to a loose connection, because the cable was screwed in. I'll see how it goes now.

With my monitor, even when I shut the PC down and the monitor goes to off/power-save mode, the background can still be very bright and grey-looking.

As there is no signal from the graphics card at this point, it would suggest to me that it is the monitor at fault and not the graphics card. Would you agree?
Sun 21/07/02 at 21:14
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Hm. b0rked framebuffer, perhaps. Um, tried rebooting? :-)

Check all cables, check to see if the card is dusty, check if fans are working too.
Sun 21/07/02 at 20:47
"High polygon count"
I've got a GeForce 3 card in my PC, and an ADi MicroScan monitor.

Just recently, my monitor picture is appearing very bright, even with the brightness turned right down on the monitor itself. The black background looks light grey, and colours look pretty washed out.

When the picture first appears, everything is okay - but after a second or so, it moves up to this brighter image.

I've checked the gamma on my card's settings, and that's not set exceptionally high.

Should I suspect a failing in my graphics card, or my monitor?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.