GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Creating a Search Bar"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 28/04/08 at 18:16
Regular
Hi everyone,

I am currently creating a website and i would like to include a search bar for it to allow my users to search the website and move onto a results page. I only want it to search my website not the internet just so that they can find what they are looking for on my site.

Does anyone know where i can find one? I have surfed the net trying to find either a prebuilt search bar but none of them do what i want and i can't find any tutorials to help me make one. Help??
Tue 13/05/08 at 15:34
Regular
"jameswoodcock.co.uk"
I use Zoom Search:

My Yamaha site search example

Doesn't require MySQL, but you do have to pay for the application. It uses flat files that require updating every so often so it can scan your website to get the latest information.
Tue 29/04/08 at 08:32
"Are you sure?"
Mr Psycho's Dad wrote:
> Thanks for that, I have looked at google custom search and
> thought that it looks a bit basic but you have made it intergrate
> great with your site, was this easy to do?

Yes, just read the notes and cut and paste the code snippets in your site. No script to install or files to CHMOD!
Perhaps in the past you looked at people that hadn't embedded the script in their site and just used the very basic offering which uses Google hosted pages?

More here: Google CSE
Let us know how you get on...

Search Freeola Chat My Freeola Instant Site
Mon 28/04/08 at 20:23
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Mr Psycho's Dad wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I am currently creating a website and i would like to include a
> search bar for it to allow my users to search the website and
> move onto a results page. I only want it to search my website not
> the internet just so that they can find what they are looking for
> on my site.
>
> Does anyone know where i can find one? I have surfed the net
> trying to find either a prebuilt search bar but none of them do
> what i want and i can't find any tutorials to help me make one.
> Help??

I have a database type search 'engine' on my site, searches the site and wider if you wish. The script is available but you will have to construct your own 'form' to display your search requirements - the 'instructions' are all on the site:

Nippersoft database

Nippersoft search form

Search Nippersoft
Mon 28/04/08 at 19:18
Regular
Thanks for that, I have looked at google custom search and thought that it looks a bit basic but you have made it intergrate great with your site, was this easy to do?
Mon 28/04/08 at 18:33
"Are you sure?"
Hi Mr PD,
There are quite a few scripts out there that can do this - some free some paid for, the majority need MySQL but some are flatfile.

Here are a couple of options for you.

I've used the Google Custom Search Engine (CSE) on my play site: Search Freeola Chat
The customisation works quite well - see Google for more info.
This does depend on your site been indexed by Google in the first place though - else you won't see any results!

Another option is the Fluid Dynamics Search Engine a CGI/Perl script - an old one but works well.

Hopefully others will be able to add their favourites...
Mon 28/04/08 at 18:16
Regular
Hi everyone,

I am currently creating a website and i would like to include a search bar for it to allow my users to search the website and move onto a results page. I only want it to search my website not the internet just so that they can find what they are looking for on my site.

Does anyone know where i can find one? I have surfed the net trying to find either a prebuilt search bar but none of them do what i want and i can't find any tutorials to help me make one. Help??

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.