GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The price of developing Exclusively on Xbox"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 16/07/02 at 16:54
Regular
The creator's of Abe made a big mistake in defecting to Xbox, a once famous franchise has seen its most ambitious game to date flop. Not once can I remember seeing it in the top 10 all formats charts and that is a big shame considering playstation made it into the multi platium franchise it once was.

You have to ask yourself for a game that was supposed to be technically to advanced for the Playstation2, Was that the real reason behind going for Xbox? I think not the truth is MS paid them a lot of money to become an exclusive title thinking they were going to rake in the money however the reality was very different not unlike the Xbox itself.

Core have been much more level headed and realised that the market share has to be a deciding factor and therefore took the wise financially sound option of developing exclusively for the PS2.
Tue 16/07/02 at 16:54
Regular
The creator's of Abe made a big mistake in defecting to Xbox, a once famous franchise has seen its most ambitious game to date flop. Not once can I remember seeing it in the top 10 all formats charts and that is a big shame considering playstation made it into the multi platium franchise it once was.

You have to ask yourself for a game that was supposed to be technically to advanced for the Playstation2, Was that the real reason behind going for Xbox? I think not the truth is MS paid them a lot of money to become an exclusive title thinking they were going to rake in the money however the reality was very different not unlike the Xbox itself.

Core have been much more level headed and realised that the market share has to be a deciding factor and therefore took the wise financially sound option of developing exclusively for the PS2.
Tue 16/07/02 at 17:03
Regular
Market share is almost everything today. If there are 2 systems on the market that do the same job and there is only a small difference between them (ie, VHS and BetaMax, or Sky and BSB), then if the slightly less sophisticated version can win the battle if its got the commercial side sorted out. So the fact that BSB used DMAC satellite signals and used the smaller squarial antenna, didn't make any difference, because most people would find it difficult to spot the improvement over Sky. In any case, Sky had the channel line up which is what people wanted, and it launched first. And now with PS2, Xbox, and GC its the same thing. Sony has so many machines out there, that the only right commercial decision for your game is to put it out on PS2.
Tue 16/07/02 at 17:20
The Playstation 2 has the advantage because it can play PSone titles, too, meaning that the PS2 had hundreds of titles before its release.

The X-box is a from a new company in the console wars, and Nintendo used to be cartridge-based. In the future, I can see both of these companies using Sony's wise tactic.

As for the DreamCast. Well, that's been left in the dark. It was released far too early and, now, people have moved on.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.