GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"EA Sports - It should be in the game"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 10/11/00 at 21:29
Regular
I would just like to say that at the moment footy games are improving and I am NOT criticising any games in this message. These are only suggestions based on what I think a football game is based on.

We've all played Fifa on at least one console, right? So surely games developers have played Fifa, Actua, ISS and others too?? My observations of late have been on my brother's Playstation and Fifa 2000. I have already spoken about my 'dream' for the game of football on consoles, but I feel its time people sat up and took notice of my ideas - I'm here to stay guys!

First off, footballers are different, right eg Owen is small and fast, while Adams is slower and tall. So it has to be that way on games too. Different sizes, skills, party pieces and shots. You know the difference between Kanu skill and Stuart Pearce skill so make it so and lets not have Stuart Pearce flicking the ball over his head and sprinting down the pitch after it! Have you ever looked at the way footballers run?? Some dither and then drop the shoulder and beat the defender, others decide to run like hell down the line and others use skill to outwit the defence, cheeky turns, rollovers - the lot! The players in Fifa all run the same! My mate summed it up once, when he said "You should be able to tell who it is by their body language, not by their number". I agree. Here's another, thing when footballers hit a lovely cross across the field they don't hit and then immediately run forward, they watch and admire their handywork and see if it makes it to the target. Strikers applaud crosses that put them in on goal. Defenders often blame the midfield for lack of tackling and keepers ALWAYS shout at the defence. This does not happen in any football game I've seen, but wouldn't it be great if it did??? Detail on footy games are almost top notch, but still the one thing I've yearned for never happens - Designer footware! Ok maybe its just me, but I'd love to create a player/team strip and then create a pair of boots. All Star Soccer and ISS Evolution have a selection, but I really would like to choose sponsors for kits/boots and colour the boots to my liking (Beckhams silver boots would be good). Now the transfer systems in the likes of Fifa and Actua work by giving you some money and then the ability to bring in anybody, if you can afford them. I feel that this is unrealistic. I think it would be better if clubs/players rejected offers when you asked to buy them. Maybe the likes of Figo, Enrique and Ronaldo won't join your team until you reach Europe. Also I'd like to see a value added to each player. This value is '% to score' we know who will place the ball behind the keeper in real life, but on most games if not all anyone can get a goal (even keepers). I think strikers should have high chances depending on fitness, injuries and stats (eg if stronger at heading than shooting then goals come from their head). Midfielders have less chance to score, unless they're good at long range/striking the ball (Beckham, Berger, Viera). Defenders have even less chance of scoring unless at point blank range with possible excepions of Steve Carr and other talented fullbacks. Keepers should not be able to score, they should not be able to save a shot, drop the ball and run past even five players on the opposite team....it never happens in real life, so why on a game???

Now you may think "Why doesn't this bloke stop complaining, its meant to be fun and a laugh??" But isn't the reason we buy football game after football game to find out which is the more realistic?? Don't we want a football game that portrays the beautiful game accurately?? All honest football fans want a game that is as close to the real thing as Roy Keane is to a booking! So come on game developers if you think you're hard enough!
Tue 14/11/00 at 10:58
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Oops, double posted there, sorry.
Tue 14/11/00 at 10:57
Regular
You hit the nail on the head so hard that it's vibrating. What we need is a better way of motion capture, and that is just around the corner. It won't be long before computers will be able to motion capture directly from video rather than covering Scholes in glowing ping-pong balls and making him jump around in front of several video cameras. All you'd have to do is get the system to 'watch' Match of the Day a few times and job done. This is much cheaper and easier once the visual reading technology becomes available.

One thing troubles me, though. If a game were to be totallly realistic, all the players would play to their current abilities, which would take the fun out of it for a lot of players. I'd get fed up with trying to make Gazza run up and down the pitch when he wasn't really capable of it, and trying to pull off Beckham set-pieces of his quality with only a joypad to control him. I enjoy making Schmeichel belt up the pitch and score a few goals, or running the ball out of defense...and keep running as it saves the trouble of passing. And especially when playing against your mates I enjoy two-footed tackling at waist height against their star players, hopefully causing an injury so we both go down to 10 men, but them the worse off for it. This is something you would hardly ever see in a real game, so I don't mind FIFA 2002 coming out with the odd bit of fantasy programmed into it.
Tue 14/11/00 at 10:57
Regular
You hit the nail on the head so hard that it's vibrating. What we need is a better way of motion capture, and that is just around the corner. It won't be long before computers will be able to motion capture directly from video rather than covering Scholes in glowing ping-pong balls and making him jump around in front of several video cameras. All you'd have to do is get the system to 'watch' Match of the Day a few times and job done. This is much cheaper and easier once the visual reading technology becomes available.

One thing troubles me, though. If a game were to be totallly realistic, all the players would play to their current abilities, which would take the fun out of it for a lot of players. I'd get fed up with trying to make Gazza run up and down the pitch when he wasn't really capable of it, and trying to pull off Beckham set-pieces of his quality with only a joypad to control him. I enjoy making Schmeichel belt up the pitch and score a few goals, or running the ball out of defense...and keep running as it saves the trouble of passing. And especially when playing against your mates I enjoy two-footed tackling at waist height against their star players, hopefully causing an injury so we both go down to 10 men, but them the worse off for it. This is something you would hardly ever see in a real game, so I don't mind FIFA 2002 coming out with the odd bit of fantasy programmed into it.
Mon 13/11/00 at 13:42
Regular
"Top Gun"
its a good idea and all but to get each player running and shooting like they actually do will be near impossible, they would have to motion capture every single player in the game to do all the moves. Think how long that would take and how much it would cost. for that to happen from say EA, there would be no other games from them for 5 years and by the time all of its done it would have to sold for like £100 for them to make little loss and by that time there would be new players and some would have retired. Maybe in FA Premier League stars the could get most of the players ut definately not Fifa, same goes for ISS.
Fri 10/11/00 at 21:29
I would just like to say that at the moment footy games are improving and I am NOT criticising any games in this message. These are only suggestions based on what I think a football game is based on.

We've all played Fifa on at least one console, right? So surely games developers have played Fifa, Actua, ISS and others too?? My observations of late have been on my brother's Playstation and Fifa 2000. I have already spoken about my 'dream' for the game of football on consoles, but I feel its time people sat up and took notice of my ideas - I'm here to stay guys!

First off, footballers are different, right eg Owen is small and fast, while Adams is slower and tall. So it has to be that way on games too. Different sizes, skills, party pieces and shots. You know the difference between Kanu skill and Stuart Pearce skill so make it so and lets not have Stuart Pearce flicking the ball over his head and sprinting down the pitch after it! Have you ever looked at the way footballers run?? Some dither and then drop the shoulder and beat the defender, others decide to run like hell down the line and others use skill to outwit the defence, cheeky turns, rollovers - the lot! The players in Fifa all run the same! My mate summed it up once, when he said "You should be able to tell who it is by their body language, not by their number". I agree. Here's another, thing when footballers hit a lovely cross across the field they don't hit and then immediately run forward, they watch and admire their handywork and see if it makes it to the target. Strikers applaud crosses that put them in on goal. Defenders often blame the midfield for lack of tackling and keepers ALWAYS shout at the defence. This does not happen in any football game I've seen, but wouldn't it be great if it did??? Detail on footy games are almost top notch, but still the one thing I've yearned for never happens - Designer footware! Ok maybe its just me, but I'd love to create a player/team strip and then create a pair of boots. All Star Soccer and ISS Evolution have a selection, but I really would like to choose sponsors for kits/boots and colour the boots to my liking (Beckhams silver boots would be good). Now the transfer systems in the likes of Fifa and Actua work by giving you some money and then the ability to bring in anybody, if you can afford them. I feel that this is unrealistic. I think it would be better if clubs/players rejected offers when you asked to buy them. Maybe the likes of Figo, Enrique and Ronaldo won't join your team until you reach Europe. Also I'd like to see a value added to each player. This value is '% to score' we know who will place the ball behind the keeper in real life, but on most games if not all anyone can get a goal (even keepers). I think strikers should have high chances depending on fitness, injuries and stats (eg if stronger at heading than shooting then goals come from their head). Midfielders have less chance to score, unless they're good at long range/striking the ball (Beckham, Berger, Viera). Defenders have even less chance of scoring unless at point blank range with possible excepions of Steve Carr and other talented fullbacks. Keepers should not be able to score, they should not be able to save a shot, drop the ball and run past even five players on the opposite team....it never happens in real life, so why on a game???

Now you may think "Why doesn't this bloke stop complaining, its meant to be fun and a laugh??" But isn't the reason we buy football game after football game to find out which is the more realistic?? Don't we want a football game that portrays the beautiful game accurately?? All honest football fans want a game that is as close to the real thing as Roy Keane is to a booking! So come on game developers if you think you're hard enough!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.