GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What books have you read this year?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 15/07/02 at 14:08
Regular
Well? How many have you read in 2002 thus far, and what were they?

I can't remember all the books I've read, but I'll list some of them:

Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep?
-Philip k Dick

Cradle
-Isaac Asimov (i think...)

The Gap Into Conflict - The Real Story
The Gap Into Vision - Forbidden Knowledge
The Gap Into Power - A Dark and Hungry God Arises
The Gap Into Madness - Chaos and order
-Stephen Donaldson

and about 10 Star Wars books, mostly New Jedi Order ones by various authors. Had a go at reading Fury by Salman Rushdie, but i just couldn't get into it.

Next on my list (logically enough) is the conclusion of the Gap series: The Gap into Ruin - This day all Gods die. Inspireed by Stephen Donaldson's work, I will be following this up with the Thomas Covenant series.

IB

IB
Sat 20/07/02 at 15:02
"`·.¸¸.·´´¯`··._.·`·"
The Shining - Stephen King.
Sat 20/07/02 at 14:12
Regular
"You've upset me"
and The Wrong Boy. Can't emember who that's by either :-D
Sat 20/07/02 at 14:10
Regular
"You've upset me"
Oh and The Green Mile - Stephen King for the second time.
Sat 20/07/02 at 14:09
Regular
"You've upset me"
I haven't actually read that many this year on account of the fact that I can't find anything interesting to read.

Anyway, this year I have read...

My Idea Of Fun - Will Self
Great Apes - Will Self
Tough, Tough Toys For Tough, Tough Boys - Will Self
The Watchmen - can't remember
Chameleon - Can't remember
Bloodtide - Melvin Burgess (7th or 8th time through, what can I say? I like the book :-D)
The Little Book Of Bond - dunno. Damn good book though, tis filled with Bonds one liners :-D
Sat 20/07/02 at 13:50
Northern Lights
Lord of the Flies
Gulliver's Travels
Henry V

That's it...
Sat 20/07/02 at 13:31
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
I've read Artemis Fowl. :D

I found it in my house - I think it was for my brother, as it is for people of younger age than mine, but it wasn't that bad.

Quite good actually. :-)
Sat 20/07/02 at 13:26
Regular
"I am Bumf Ucked"
Selby rocks.

His style is a bit off putting at first - if I hadn't already seen the movie, I probably wouldn't have understood a word of the opening scene. Once you get used to it though, it works to the books advantage.

I've ordered Last Exit To Brooklyn from the libary. Y'know, nice easy summer reading :D
Wed 17/07/02 at 12:37
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
How did you find Selby? Because if you liked Requiem then try "Last Exit to Brooklyn", which was his first book, and arguably his best as well.

I just read "Sarah" by JT Leroy, and it is an absolutely fantastic book. Like William Burroughs mugging Alice in Wonderland. It's painfully autobiographical, and he was kidnapped by his mother from his foster parents, and she was a prostitute. He starts cross-dressing and becomes a lot lizard, working the truck stops in Southern USA. It should be a horrific story (it only focuses on the lot lizard era, the previous things are in a book of short stories) but it many places it's extremely funny and often quite surreal, like the Truckers' Diner that serves exquisite cordon bleu food..

It's brilliant. Better than star wars and friends.
Tue 16/07/02 at 18:22
Regular
"I am Bumf Ucked"
Christ, there have been a lot.

Invisible Monsters - Chuck Palahuniak
The Alchamists Apprentice - Someone Donaldson
Requiem For A Dream - Hurbert Selby
Animal Farm - Geroge Orwell

Thats probably the best four.
Tue 16/07/02 at 16:02
"Darkness, always"
ok, ta. I'll carry on avoiding it then =)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.