GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"UK Release Dates"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 13/07/02 at 21:26
Regular
"Noooooo!" is a phrase that comes into play a lot of the time when talking about games getting released in Britain. We moan, we grumble, we shout, and generally we get frustrated as those Japanese and Americans get games months in front of us. So, while we're sitting playing our Driver 2, the Americans have Stuntman and Driver 3 in their collection. Well... a bit of an over exaggeration earlier about the months in front. Sometimes it CAN be months ahead, but not too often. But it just goes to show how much we're cared about by the games industry.

Uk Release dates have always been bad though. Even in the time of the NES. We got the NES 4 years after the Japanese got it and if that isn't called a big delay then I don't know what is. Ok, so sometimes we do get things on time, but there is never, and I mean NEVER a console that comes to us before it has been out in USA or Japan for a number of months, or sometimes over half a year. We wait 9 months for the GC after it arrives in Japan, and America get it 2 months after the Japs. What's up with that? This isn't just Britian though. This is Europe. They think the GC won't do well over here, and they want to see how it does in the States first. It did really well in Japan, and was doing brill in the States, so why did we get a release date such a while after everyone else. Ok, so it's out now, but that was that long period after it was out in other games areas in the world. Luckily we didn't have to much of a problem with the GBA...

Could they get worse? It is a question that is asked quite a lot. Well, there are 2 answers. They can, or they can't. We'd all go for the 'They Can' decision, but we can't choose. Games companies may decide that they want to add more improvements to their games at the last minute, and therefore, delay the game for a small (but possibly large) period of time. If they decide to rush games out then the games might not be as good as they could have been, so in a way, we can't really win either way.

The worst for 'release date slippage' would have to be Nintendo. We can give them credit for the overall quality of the game itself, but it'd have to be bloomin' fantastic to cover up for a 10 month delay, as we had a few times on the N64. Now things aren't so bad, and hopefully on the GC now, we won't have the sort of delays as seen before on the N64 now that Ninty are safely in the world of discs, which of course, are cheaper and easier to use for the game developers. Mario Sunshine and Zelda so far seem to only be a couple of months behind the Japanese releases, which anyone would agree is a much shorter time to wait than up to a year. Fingers crossed that Ninty can stay this way, and not move back to the ways of N64 release dates. Hopefully.

Sony aren't and have never been bad with game release times. Ok, so Final Fantasy games can sometimes be long periods of time behind when they are released for us when compared to their release in Japan, but that's because there are such huge games with tonnes of speech to be translated in the FF series. Other games normally aren't too bad. Stuntman should be out soon, and Pro Evo 2 will be here hopefully in the next couple of months, coming from the US and Japan respectively. Yes, a while after the release in those countries, but no, not too long a wait.

Nothing can really be said about Microsoft. So far, the only game that can really be commented on is WWF: RAW, which has been out in the US for quite some time (the launch of the console to be precise) and still has a TBC release date tag. What's going on there? Microsoft haven't been in the gaming market long enough for anyone to really look at the release dates of their games in other countries besides America, but so far they're doing all right.

It's pretty much been established that UK Release Dates aren't the most positive things that we can talk about when describing console gaming, but as long as things don't get any worse, we'll be happy. Well, at least I think we'll be happy.... won't we....?

AJ.
Sat 13/07/02 at 21:26
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
"Noooooo!" is a phrase that comes into play a lot of the time when talking about games getting released in Britain. We moan, we grumble, we shout, and generally we get frustrated as those Japanese and Americans get games months in front of us. So, while we're sitting playing our Driver 2, the Americans have Stuntman and Driver 3 in their collection. Well... a bit of an over exaggeration earlier about the months in front. Sometimes it CAN be months ahead, but not too often. But it just goes to show how much we're cared about by the games industry.

Uk Release dates have always been bad though. Even in the time of the NES. We got the NES 4 years after the Japanese got it and if that isn't called a big delay then I don't know what is. Ok, so sometimes we do get things on time, but there is never, and I mean NEVER a console that comes to us before it has been out in USA or Japan for a number of months, or sometimes over half a year. We wait 9 months for the GC after it arrives in Japan, and America get it 2 months after the Japs. What's up with that? This isn't just Britian though. This is Europe. They think the GC won't do well over here, and they want to see how it does in the States first. It did really well in Japan, and was doing brill in the States, so why did we get a release date such a while after everyone else. Ok, so it's out now, but that was that long period after it was out in other games areas in the world. Luckily we didn't have to much of a problem with the GBA...

Could they get worse? It is a question that is asked quite a lot. Well, there are 2 answers. They can, or they can't. We'd all go for the 'They Can' decision, but we can't choose. Games companies may decide that they want to add more improvements to their games at the last minute, and therefore, delay the game for a small (but possibly large) period of time. If they decide to rush games out then the games might not be as good as they could have been, so in a way, we can't really win either way.

The worst for 'release date slippage' would have to be Nintendo. We can give them credit for the overall quality of the game itself, but it'd have to be bloomin' fantastic to cover up for a 10 month delay, as we had a few times on the N64. Now things aren't so bad, and hopefully on the GC now, we won't have the sort of delays as seen before on the N64 now that Ninty are safely in the world of discs, which of course, are cheaper and easier to use for the game developers. Mario Sunshine and Zelda so far seem to only be a couple of months behind the Japanese releases, which anyone would agree is a much shorter time to wait than up to a year. Fingers crossed that Ninty can stay this way, and not move back to the ways of N64 release dates. Hopefully.

Sony aren't and have never been bad with game release times. Ok, so Final Fantasy games can sometimes be long periods of time behind when they are released for us when compared to their release in Japan, but that's because there are such huge games with tonnes of speech to be translated in the FF series. Other games normally aren't too bad. Stuntman should be out soon, and Pro Evo 2 will be here hopefully in the next couple of months, coming from the US and Japan respectively. Yes, a while after the release in those countries, but no, not too long a wait.

Nothing can really be said about Microsoft. So far, the only game that can really be commented on is WWF: RAW, which has been out in the US for quite some time (the launch of the console to be precise) and still has a TBC release date tag. What's going on there? Microsoft haven't been in the gaming market long enough for anyone to really look at the release dates of their games in other countries besides America, but so far they're doing all right.

It's pretty much been established that UK Release Dates aren't the most positive things that we can talk about when describing console gaming, but as long as things don't get any worse, we'll be happy. Well, at least I think we'll be happy.... won't we....?

AJ.
Sat 13/07/02 at 21:27
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Booger. That should've been in Prime.

Ah well....
Sat 13/07/02 at 21:30
I wonder why they biother with release dates as they are nearly always getting put back.
Sat 13/07/02 at 21:33
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
davyboy wrote:
> I wonder why they biother with release dates as they are nearly always
> getting put back.

----

Well, people would complain about not knowing when games were going to come out if there were no release dates.

It also helps the company that's making the game by using hype. "This game is coming out in 2 weeks!" is more likely to get a few sales when it comes out than, "This game'll be out when it is out!".

See? :-)
Sat 13/07/02 at 21:34
Regular
How do you decide whether to put something in Prime or not?
Sat 13/07/02 at 21:35
AfroJoe wrote:
> davyboy wrote:
> I wonder why they biother with release dates as they are nearly
> always
> getting put back.
>
> ----
>
> Well, people would complain about not knowing when games were going to
> come out if there were no release dates.
>
> It also helps the company that's making the game by using hype.
> "This game is coming out in 2 weeks!" is more likely to get
> a few sales when it comes out than, "This game'll be out when it
> is out!".
>
> See? :-)

I agree with you there fully i just think they should set more realistic dates
Sat 13/07/02 at 21:36
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
SolidSnakeXXI wrote:
> How do you decide whether to put something in Prime or not?

---

Prime's a forum for more 'intelligent' posts, and I felt this should've gone there but I posted here by mistake really.

Newbies aren't allowed to starts topics there.
Sun 14/07/02 at 18:25
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
*Tumbleweed rolls through topic*
Sun 14/07/02 at 18:33
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
AfroJoe wrote:
> Prime's a forum for more 'intelligent' posts,
> Newbies aren't allowed to starts topics there.

Where is 'Prime'? I am a regular and ive never heard of it, ill hardly ever post there though because im not one of the'intelligent' people :)

I would still like to know about it though.

Thank you.
Sun 14/07/02 at 18:36
Regular
"¬_¬"
On the little tree diagram showing whereabouts you are, just above the 'post new message' buttons, there'll say 'FOG bridge'. Click there to get to prime, or just go the list of forums and choose from there.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.