GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Movies into Games? Games into Movies?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 13/07/02 at 17:26
Regular
Over the many long years we have seen magnificent films made into games, and over the many eventful years we have seen great games made into films. But are too many of these games and films being made and is it worth the bother after huge flops in the past? That's what I'm here to answer. Hope you enjoy the topic.

I have seen films like The Mummy, Final Destination and Rush Hour 2 and thought that these films were top class. I watch them over and over again and I really enjoy them. Now other films like Final Fantasy and Tomb Raider really did disappoint me. After all the hype that was going on I really did expect them to impress me. But unfortunately they weren't that good. They had no real excitement in them and they were a long way off the films like The Mummy and others. Actually they were miles off.

But I'm not saying all films that were originally games are totally rubbish, I mean yesterday I watched Resident Evil at the cinema in the anticipation that I would enjoy it. And to my surprise it was a great film. It was so good that other horror films like Scream and Alien seemed like old news. Alright it may not have been the most original idea, but with zombie people and dogs are, I think, make a great film. It was full of surprises and was differerent which made it great to watch.

Now the games of today have a variety of types ranging from platformer to driving and beating to shooting, but many of these now seem to be or have been films. Goldeneye, The World is not Enough, Shrek and Harry Potter are just a few that have been released so far and there are still more to come. Basically 75% of games that were originally films are not up to the standards of top sellers likie Perfect Dark and others. They're not fun and usually have a short lifespan. I think these games are best never made or released.

But I have played a few like Goldeneye and Rogue Leader and those games rule. They have exactly what a perfect game needs. They're fun and exciting and will last you ages. Goldeneye is a good laugh and is one of the best shooting games I have ever played. So not all games that were originally films are bad are they?

Overall though the films being made originally from a game are not as big a problem as the films into games. Mainly because not as many are being released. Resident Evil is great and if directors and producers want to make a film based on a top selling game, use Resident Evil as a guide. Choose a great game and a good way to show it as a film and you have a winner.

With the games all I can say is that there may be too many and there needs to be more totally original ideas like Shigeru Miyamoto did with Pikmin. Spiderman, Scooby Doo and Shrek are just average looking and possibly below that. Games like Goldeneye I feel are best left to Nintendo, Rare or Microsoft. Too many of these results in people buying them, expecting too much and then finding out they just wasted £39.99. But this is just my opinion so I may be wrong.

So keep a look out for these games and read reviews or ask a friend first because most of the time you'll be disappointed. Same with movies too, although like I've said there are some exceptions to this rule. I hope you've enjoyed this topic.

Thanks for reading.
Sat 13/07/02 at 17:26
Regular
"Ghosts Can't Die!"
Over the many long years we have seen magnificent films made into games, and over the many eventful years we have seen great games made into films. But are too many of these games and films being made and is it worth the bother after huge flops in the past? That's what I'm here to answer. Hope you enjoy the topic.

I have seen films like The Mummy, Final Destination and Rush Hour 2 and thought that these films were top class. I watch them over and over again and I really enjoy them. Now other films like Final Fantasy and Tomb Raider really did disappoint me. After all the hype that was going on I really did expect them to impress me. But unfortunately they weren't that good. They had no real excitement in them and they were a long way off the films like The Mummy and others. Actually they were miles off.

But I'm not saying all films that were originally games are totally rubbish, I mean yesterday I watched Resident Evil at the cinema in the anticipation that I would enjoy it. And to my surprise it was a great film. It was so good that other horror films like Scream and Alien seemed like old news. Alright it may not have been the most original idea, but with zombie people and dogs are, I think, make a great film. It was full of surprises and was differerent which made it great to watch.

Now the games of today have a variety of types ranging from platformer to driving and beating to shooting, but many of these now seem to be or have been films. Goldeneye, The World is not Enough, Shrek and Harry Potter are just a few that have been released so far and there are still more to come. Basically 75% of games that were originally films are not up to the standards of top sellers likie Perfect Dark and others. They're not fun and usually have a short lifespan. I think these games are best never made or released.

But I have played a few like Goldeneye and Rogue Leader and those games rule. They have exactly what a perfect game needs. They're fun and exciting and will last you ages. Goldeneye is a good laugh and is one of the best shooting games I have ever played. So not all games that were originally films are bad are they?

Overall though the films being made originally from a game are not as big a problem as the films into games. Mainly because not as many are being released. Resident Evil is great and if directors and producers want to make a film based on a top selling game, use Resident Evil as a guide. Choose a great game and a good way to show it as a film and you have a winner.

With the games all I can say is that there may be too many and there needs to be more totally original ideas like Shigeru Miyamoto did with Pikmin. Spiderman, Scooby Doo and Shrek are just average looking and possibly below that. Games like Goldeneye I feel are best left to Nintendo, Rare or Microsoft. Too many of these results in people buying them, expecting too much and then finding out they just wasted £39.99. But this is just my opinion so I may be wrong.

So keep a look out for these games and read reviews or ask a friend first because most of the time you'll be disappointed. Same with movies too, although like I've said there are some exceptions to this rule. I hope you've enjoyed this topic.

Thanks for reading.
Sun 14/07/02 at 10:46
Regular
"I Control All Pikmi"
Good post man. I agree, there are too many movies being made into games. It needs to stop.
Sun 14/07/02 at 12:17
Regular
"Ghosts Can't Die!"
Finally someone who agrees with me. Thanks for the post too. It's the films made from games that I don't find as annoying because not so many are being made.
Sun 14/07/02 at 12:45
Regular
"how long have i got"
I reckon they should make a game into a movie just like resident evil etc
Sun 14/07/02 at 17:35
Regular
"Ghosts Can't Die!"
Exactly. Resident Evil was a great film and if only more films originally games were like it then it will be a huge hit.
Sun 14/07/02 at 18:27
When games are turned into movies, most of them don't do very well because they don't keep enough of the actual storyline involved. Look at Mortal Kombat, Super Mario Bros. or Final Fantasy.

In Resident Evil, you can imagine yourself playing the whole film on your console. I think Perfect Dark would make a good film, as would a few other good games.

It films into games that are starting to annoy people because there are too many of them. Spider-man, Star Wars, the upcoming Minority Report and even Buffy The Vampire Slayer too. Are game developers running out of ideas? Will it become that, one day, we can play any film that is released?

SD
Mon 15/07/02 at 08:45
Regular
"I Control All Pikmi"
It may be that developers are running out of ideas. The only film/game I've enjoyed is Goldeneye for the Nintendo 64.
Mon 15/07/02 at 12:30
Regular
"Ghosts Can't Die!"
Star wars Rogue squadron 2 was a great game too.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.