GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Online"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 13/07/02 at 16:09
Regular
I don’t want to look forward to the future of on line consoles, and here's why.
I can't get broadband here.
Broadband is expensive (if you can get it).
It took me about 30 attempts to get on line today using my pc + 56k modem (well done Freeserve)
Eventually, we will be forced to download the games + pay electronically using a glorified set top box style console. No more DVD player thrown in, and no game discs in shops.
Sat 13/07/02 at 16:09
Regular
I don’t want to look forward to the future of on line consoles, and here's why.
I can't get broadband here.
Broadband is expensive (if you can get it).
It took me about 30 attempts to get on line today using my pc + 56k modem (well done Freeserve)
Eventually, we will be forced to download the games + pay electronically using a glorified set top box style console. No more DVD player thrown in, and no game discs in shops.
Sat 13/07/02 at 16:10
"Uzi Lover"
Broadband, or some other kind of connection device will become available everywhere at one point.

Hopefully soon, even though I have it already :-P But, I feel for you so hopefully soon.
Sat 13/07/02 at 16:20
Regular
After to trying to connect about 30 times today, i got a little annoyed with it!
Sat 13/07/02 at 16:24
"Uzi Lover"
Dave RJR wrote:
> After to trying to connect about 30 times today, i got a little
> annoyed with it!

Man, I use to have that too. But, you get use to it :-)

Do you get disconnected after a certain time too? That sucks if you are doing somethin gimportant or, of course, playing online games. I can't imagine playing games online using a modem anymore. They must go really slow. But I did use them and the only game I got NO lag, at all, was Worms World Party because it's turn based.

Anyway, if you have to try 30 times, that's not right. You should consider changing your ISP if you want better service.
Sat 13/07/02 at 16:29
Regular
Dave RJR wrote:
> I don’t want to look forward to the future of on line consoles, and
> here's why.
> I can't get broadband here.
>

You don't need cables for Broadband, what about Freeola? Thats sort of broadband down your phone line. If I remember correctly it's 512k a second, which is a huge improvment of 56k a second a modem gives you.
Sat 13/07/02 at 16:49
Regular
Is that ADSL - cause we don't get that or cable networks of any sort. Best i could do in terms of speed is have a 2nd line and use both together, can't remember what BT call this service now.
Sat 13/07/02 at 16:57
Regular
"Selected"
It's called 'ripping you off'.

Change your ISP then wait for broadband to come to your area.
Sat 13/07/02 at 17:02
Regular
Did you know that even BT claim that up to 30% of the UK will never get ADSL (broadband down a phone line). I bet my area is in this 30% for sure.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.