GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"De ja vu....long but inmportant"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 13/07/02 at 15:57
Regular
From the official playstation website:

"At a packed and sweaty press conference on the roof of an LA studio, SCEE President Chris Deering outlined his vision of the future for PlayStation 2 this week. It's big. Very big in fact, so big that you'll need a broadband pipe in your home to accommodate it, because the future of PS2 is online in a big way. (Did we mention it's big already?)

Later this year - sometime before Christmas is the current plan - you'll be able to get ahold of the fabled network adaptor for PlayStation 2. Slotting neatly into the back of your black box and combining modem and Ethernet adaptor with the optional hard disk drive, the network adaptor will give you access to broadband content that's going to change the way you use your PS2.

Online gaming is just the beginning, but it's a great place to start. Games like SCEE's own Hardware, EverQuest Online Adventures, Star Wars Galaxies, TimeSplitters 2 and SOCOM: US Navy SEALs will let you compete against your nearest and dearest by blowing them to bits, or allow you to take on the role of a fantasy adventurer or perhaps a Jedi Knight. You can expect just about every game that's released in 2003 to have some form of online component as it becomes more and more important to PlayStation 2.

Beyond gaming though, your PlayStation 2 is set to become the place you store your music, watch your movies and download demos to. You'll be able to transfer all your CDs onto it and download video clips or perhaps whole movies, as well as surfing the web and chatting to your buddies. Heck, you'll even be able to keep up with the latest games information thanks to PlayStation.com.

With so much to do and with Europe being such a varied continent, Deering refused to be drawn on specific details this week, such as price and exact release dates. You may well rent your network adaptor and hard disk drive from an ISP in return for subscribing to broadband, or you might just be able to buy the kit outright to use with your existing ISP. As soon as the details are nailed down however, we'll be getting the info straight to you. Hold on tight though, because your PS2 is about to expand out of its box and out into the wider world."

The absolute cheek and audacity to come up with online plans like these effectively converting your PS2 into an Xbox. All those cries from Sony supporters of "who needs a hard drive" and "Xbox is cak" need to take a long hard look in the mirror and slap themselves for allowing themselves to be tricked.

The same goes for many other console owners (you know who you are) who didn't even consider what you were buying and how good it was you just went straight into the stores with your credit cards handing out because your company told you to buy their latest product even though you didn't know what it was or what it could do.

Then for Sony to "decide" to have broadband only for their console, the same broadband at which they laughed and flamed as Microsoft decided to use it.

But what really gets to me is the way that they just change their minds like that and expect no one to notice. The way Sony's online plans popped out of the blue, the way MicroSofts online plans are going to be p2p, the way Nintendo hasn't even bothered to talk about their online plans even though there are holes in to bottom of their console for them, wounds that will never heal without an online stratergy. All of these big companies just play all the owners and customers for mugs, pitting all of them against each other in a petty war for customers. Overcharging us Brits to give the Japanese and the Americans a good deal(not that they appreciate it). The way all of the gaming mags spread rumors about eachother and proclaim from the rooftops that the console they write for is the best even though they do not know why. It's the little people, poeple like you and me holding the cash who get caught up in this treccorous struggle for power. This has got to stop.
Sat 13/07/02 at 15:57
Regular
"do ut des"
From the official playstation website:

"At a packed and sweaty press conference on the roof of an LA studio, SCEE President Chris Deering outlined his vision of the future for PlayStation 2 this week. It's big. Very big in fact, so big that you'll need a broadband pipe in your home to accommodate it, because the future of PS2 is online in a big way. (Did we mention it's big already?)

Later this year - sometime before Christmas is the current plan - you'll be able to get ahold of the fabled network adaptor for PlayStation 2. Slotting neatly into the back of your black box and combining modem and Ethernet adaptor with the optional hard disk drive, the network adaptor will give you access to broadband content that's going to change the way you use your PS2.

Online gaming is just the beginning, but it's a great place to start. Games like SCEE's own Hardware, EverQuest Online Adventures, Star Wars Galaxies, TimeSplitters 2 and SOCOM: US Navy SEALs will let you compete against your nearest and dearest by blowing them to bits, or allow you to take on the role of a fantasy adventurer or perhaps a Jedi Knight. You can expect just about every game that's released in 2003 to have some form of online component as it becomes more and more important to PlayStation 2.

Beyond gaming though, your PlayStation 2 is set to become the place you store your music, watch your movies and download demos to. You'll be able to transfer all your CDs onto it and download video clips or perhaps whole movies, as well as surfing the web and chatting to your buddies. Heck, you'll even be able to keep up with the latest games information thanks to PlayStation.com.

With so much to do and with Europe being such a varied continent, Deering refused to be drawn on specific details this week, such as price and exact release dates. You may well rent your network adaptor and hard disk drive from an ISP in return for subscribing to broadband, or you might just be able to buy the kit outright to use with your existing ISP. As soon as the details are nailed down however, we'll be getting the info straight to you. Hold on tight though, because your PS2 is about to expand out of its box and out into the wider world."

The absolute cheek and audacity to come up with online plans like these effectively converting your PS2 into an Xbox. All those cries from Sony supporters of "who needs a hard drive" and "Xbox is cak" need to take a long hard look in the mirror and slap themselves for allowing themselves to be tricked.

The same goes for many other console owners (you know who you are) who didn't even consider what you were buying and how good it was you just went straight into the stores with your credit cards handing out because your company told you to buy their latest product even though you didn't know what it was or what it could do.

Then for Sony to "decide" to have broadband only for their console, the same broadband at which they laughed and flamed as Microsoft decided to use it.

But what really gets to me is the way that they just change their minds like that and expect no one to notice. The way Sony's online plans popped out of the blue, the way MicroSofts online plans are going to be p2p, the way Nintendo hasn't even bothered to talk about their online plans even though there are holes in to bottom of their console for them, wounds that will never heal without an online stratergy. All of these big companies just play all the owners and customers for mugs, pitting all of them against each other in a petty war for customers. Overcharging us Brits to give the Japanese and the Americans a good deal(not that they appreciate it). The way all of the gaming mags spread rumors about eachother and proclaim from the rooftops that the console they write for is the best even though they do not know why. It's the little people, poeple like you and me holding the cash who get caught up in this treccorous struggle for power. This has got to stop.
Sat 13/07/02 at 16:18
Regular
"do ut des"
This sort of thing seems to happen to all consoles.
Sat 13/07/02 at 16:45
Regular
"Ghosts Can't Die!"
Great post Roasten. Oh yeah welcome to the forums.
Sat 13/07/02 at 16:48
Regular
"do ut des"
At last a welcomming party, thankyou. So when does the initiation begin :)
Sat 13/07/02 at 17:01
"High polygon count"
Roasten wrote:
> But what really gets to me is the way that they just change their
> minds like that and expect no one to notice. The way Sony's online
> plans popped out of the blue

Out of the blue? Tricking people?

That PS2 would go online in the future via an add-on is something that has been known about by most people since the PS2 was launched, if not before. What planet have you been living on?

Did you think they put the expansion bay in there just for fun, never planning to fill it with anything? Did you even know that the big hole in the PS2 was an expansion bay, or did you just think it was somewhere to leave valuable jewellery when you went away on holiday?

I can understand people being miffed at having to buy or rent an add-on, but it needs to be remembered that when PS2 was launched, Ethernet cards and 40Gb HD's were more expensive than they are now. Had Xbox launched two years ago, I doubt that would have had them either.

But to suggest that Sony have conned people and just dreamed up these online plans overnight is plain ridiculous.

As for paying to play online, on all formats, that's just the way things are going. You want to play online, you need a server. You want to play online at decent speed, you need a decent server.

These things don't come cheap, and they need people to maintiain them. Like any service, someone has to pay; and like any service, the people that pay are those that want to use it. If you don't want to pay, don't play online. Simple. There are and always will be plenty of excellent off-line games.
Sat 13/07/02 at 17:37
Regular
"do ut des"
When I say tricking people I mean in the sence that at the launch Sony mentioned something about PS2 going online, next thing you know no one hears any soplid news for munths and then it suddenly re emerges to be launced at the same time as for Xbox. I used the words tricked because many PS2 owners who thought Sony had abandoned them migrated to GC. I suppose the corect work for what Sony did is made a mistake, they should of released their online plans slowly and steadily to keep public interest. You're right tricked is the wrong word, sorry :(
Sat 13/07/02 at 18:33
A good starting topic for a newbie. Not bad.
Sat 13/07/02 at 18:37
Regular
Joinercus wrote:
> A good starting topic for a newbie. Not bad.

I agree - but seeing as it's mostly quoted, it may not be enough to win GAD.
Sat 13/07/02 at 20:06
Regular
"do ut des"
There are two things that I would like to say:

1) The quotation was neccesay to get across my point but I could have done more analysis.

2) Even though I am a newbie I hop to create many more thought provoking and discussion creatng threads to the same effect as this one.

Thanks for the pointers and the praise :)
Sat 13/07/02 at 20:43
"High polygon count"
Roasten wrote:
> I used the words tricked because many PS2 owners who thought Sony had
> abandoned them migrated to GC.

Again, I don't really understand what you're getting at here. I don't want this to come across the wrong way, so I'll try and explain carefully...

1) That I know of, very few people have migrated to Gamecube from PS2. Many people (myself included) have bought a Gamecube to complement their PS2 (or Xbox), because - unless you're a hardcore Nintendo fan - the Gamecube is a machine you buy "as well as" rather than "instead of".

2) To migrate from PS2 to Gamecube under the circumstances you describe would be silly, because you'd be moving from a machine with a planned online future to a machine with practically none.

By that last comment, I do not mean that Gamecube has no online future - I mean that it isn't as well-developed or as intensive as Sony's (or Microsoft's for that matter).

But differences of opinion aside, welcome to the forums, and congratulations on a decent and discussion-provoking start. :-)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.