GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Control"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 13/07/02 at 11:12
Regular
"It's just a game" is something you hear quite often when you get angry when you make a mistake and go wrong or die in a game. People winder why we get so worked up over somehting that is not real and doesn't really affect us, or does it? When you lose on a game you feel that you have failed somehow don't you? Well I do, sort of anyway.

We get so into a game that when ever something goes wrong we get really mad, and if there is someone else in the room with you, most of the time you will blame them, everyone does it! Well, I do anyway.
It's almost human nature to blame someone else. And what makes it worse is when you get really far, haven't saved it, then someone walks past and takes the controller with it pulling the console with it, or a power cut.

But if we get made about this, imagine what people will be like when games get more real and people get more and more into a game so much that some people may actually lash out at people and do some serious damage to someone and people have done things more serious for less. It's sad, I know...
But that's what people are like these days. Then I expect some people will blame videogames for violence like they already, (i.e. blaming them for teching kids what to do and to break the law etc...)
Then that could be the end of gaming, but I doubt it very much!

But can games really have that much control over us? Can they really influence our actions so much? Maybe not now, but in the future. Game companies my use their 'power' to do what they want. They already do it now, sort of. People like Hideo Kojima make stunning games and make you buy the sequal.
But people that make games for the release of films only release them for the film because they know that people will buy them when its obvious that no time has been spent on it because no-one knows ages before a film comes out, what the story is going to be.

So when will they stop? Will they use their 'power' to get more and more money out of us ando nly occasionally get a decent game? But I suppose while there are people like Hideo Kojima, naughty dog and rockstar ( There are soo many at the moment!!) we should be alright.

Cheers.

Devil-Boy
Sat 13/07/02 at 11:12
Regular
"It's just a game" is something you hear quite often when you get angry when you make a mistake and go wrong or die in a game. People winder why we get so worked up over somehting that is not real and doesn't really affect us, or does it? When you lose on a game you feel that you have failed somehow don't you? Well I do, sort of anyway.

We get so into a game that when ever something goes wrong we get really mad, and if there is someone else in the room with you, most of the time you will blame them, everyone does it! Well, I do anyway.
It's almost human nature to blame someone else. And what makes it worse is when you get really far, haven't saved it, then someone walks past and takes the controller with it pulling the console with it, or a power cut.

But if we get made about this, imagine what people will be like when games get more real and people get more and more into a game so much that some people may actually lash out at people and do some serious damage to someone and people have done things more serious for less. It's sad, I know...
But that's what people are like these days. Then I expect some people will blame videogames for violence like they already, (i.e. blaming them for teching kids what to do and to break the law etc...)
Then that could be the end of gaming, but I doubt it very much!

But can games really have that much control over us? Can they really influence our actions so much? Maybe not now, but in the future. Game companies my use their 'power' to do what they want. They already do it now, sort of. People like Hideo Kojima make stunning games and make you buy the sequal.
But people that make games for the release of films only release them for the film because they know that people will buy them when its obvious that no time has been spent on it because no-one knows ages before a film comes out, what the story is going to be.

So when will they stop? Will they use their 'power' to get more and more money out of us ando nly occasionally get a decent game? But I suppose while there are people like Hideo Kojima, naughty dog and rockstar ( There are soo many at the moment!!) we should be alright.

Cheers.

Devil-Boy
Sat 13/07/02 at 11:32
Regular
"what is knowledge ?"
i find that, when i almost complete somthing (like pichu's target test on ssbm) and my brother comes into my bedroom , and i die , i know it's not his fault , but i shout at him anyway , it's just a natural reaction.#

and the other week i was in sainsbury's with my mum , i was skidding down the isles at high speed as i usually do , almost hitting the baked bean stand as i go , then i put my foot on the wheel to slow it down a bit , as theres an old man near the end of the isles , but i miss the wheel , my foot hits the floor , the whell hits my foot , my brother sticks his foot out , putting me off a bit more , and the trolly flips onto two wheels , im skiding down the isles , the food nearly falling out of the trolley

i jump down and land on the floor , the trolly still moving , i try and lift it , it's falling on me , but i keep my cool, i can see the freezer cabinet , it's slowing down, stil nothing has fallen out , it stops , taps the cabinet , and i lift it up. I shout at my brother TW@T TW@T TW@T !!! it's the natural thing to do , he put his foot out so i thought i should blame him , i knew he didn't do anyting , but it just felt good to blame someone else.
Sat 13/07/02 at 15:48
Regular
LOL

Yeah the thing that you said about when someone walks into the room. I always die when someone walks in and I especially get mad when someone talks to me and puts me off!!
Sun 14/07/02 at 10:25
Regular
POP
TO
THE
Sun 14/07/02 at 10:35
Regular
Devil-Bøy wrote:
> LOL
>
> Yeah the thing that you said about when someone walks into the room. I
> always die when someone walks in and I especially get mad when someone
> talks to me and puts me off!!

I can't really be put off. I feel I perform better in games like GT3 and the like in front of others. But one of my friends was playing Fifa 99 or 2000 when it was released. And we all came round his house. (this was before I discovered the joys of PES). Anyways, we went round his house and we played a tournament.

Four people, two at a time. SO we started at the semi-finals. I lost because I hadn't played footy games since, like ever. So the guy was all happy and trying to sicken me. Then he met in the final and I said, "Pass it to that guy, look he's on a run!"

I didn't realise what I had done until he paused the game and told me to shut up because I was "Putting him off".

Naturally everyone went 'oooh'. But when he was playing, the two spectators and his opponent kept commentating on the match in a funny way. So he got really pi$$ed of and got beat by a late goal. He lost it, took the control pad of the socket and threw the controller accross the room. Turned off the PS1 and walked out of the room. HEH!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.