GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Cutesy XBOX"

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 13/07/02 at 02:07
Regular
I'm a melancholic soul - always dwelling on the transient nature of existence; the fragility and fickleness of humankind; the ever-approaching stare of the Grim Reaper's evil-eye.... and it's for these reasons that I am curiously drawn to bright and colourful things - I constantly need cheering up you see.
So when I discovered that three jolly and rainbow-hued games were coming to XBOX, the flicker of a half-smile dawned upon my ashen face.

The three games in question [which, dare I say it, would not look out of place on a Nintendo console] are BLINX, PSYCHONAUTS and TOEJAM & EARL III, and far from being just your run-of-the-mill cutesy platformer type thingies, all three games will feature new and innovative gameplay [if the previews are to be believed].

BLINX, a time-travelling ginger cat, will attempt to become the official mascot character of the XBOX, a la Mario, Sonic and er, Lara. By collecting certain magical crystals, the player will be able to momentarily gain control of time - i.e. you can pause, record, rewind, fast forward or slow down proceedings. All this is made possible because of the XBOX's hard-drive. It's tricky to know exactly how all this time-warping malarkey will work in actuality, but it all sounds rather good to me; and furthermore, the main guy behind NiGHTS is the main guy behind BLINX - so hopefully it'll be a peculiar, outlandish and unashamedly dreamy affair.

PSYCHONAUTS puts you in the shoes of Raz, a psychic wonderkid who has to foil some twisted evil-doers with an array of psychic powers such as teleportation, telekinesis, levitation, fire-starting, prophecy and invisibility. Sounds promising, and it also looks very nice indeed, which always helps.

TOEJAM & EARL III - ah yes, the return of the deranged duo in glorious 3D. Probably the most striking feature of this game is the random generation of the gameworld which apparently ensures the uniqueness of every game - [I'll believe that when I see it!]. Anyway, whatever the reality, I'm looking forward to it regardless. MegaDrive memories come flooding back....

So there you have it: three cutesy games coming to XBOX.
The prospect of giddy high-jinx gameplay is assured.
Sat 20/07/02 at 14:10
Regular
Just out of interest, Psychonauts was named the "Best Original Game" at E3 in this year's Game Critics Awards.
Blinx was runner-up.
Fri 19/07/02 at 14:38
Regular
Cinnamon wrote:
> Talking of *giddy high-jinx gameplay* - Role on Crazy Taxi 3!

Oh yes, 5EXY515! ;)
Fri 19/07/02 at 14:15
Regular
Nomad_Soul wrote:
> The prospect of giddy high-jinx gameplay is assured.

Talking of *giddy high-jinx gameplay* - Role on Crazy Taxi 3!
Sat 13/07/02 at 20:11
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Definatly. I'm really looking forward to the near future and 2003 is shaping up nicely for X-Box games too. :-)
Sat 13/07/02 at 16:30
Regular
September/october time onwards xbox will mean buisness.
Sat 13/07/02 at 16:18
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Yeah there is that. ;-) I'm really impressed with what the X-Box will be bringing over the next year and a half. :-)
Can't wait till Christmas and onwards. ;-)
Sat 13/07/02 at 15:53
Regular
savatt1668 wrote:
>Its criminal that the Dreamcast didn't last.

Good job it did'nt last if you think about it, we would'nt have all these impressive games (and more to come) from sega as they would of stayed with the dreamcast.
Sat 13/07/02 at 15:50
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Psychonauts looks good. But I'm REALLY looking forward to Blinx and Toejam & Earl 3. :-)
Sega are definatly one of the best companies for games. Its criminal that the Dreamcast didn't last.
Sat 13/07/02 at 15:08
Regular
I don't normally like "cutesy" games, but I must admit that Blinx sounds like it's gonna be a great game. All that meesing about with time, fast forward, rewind, record stuff. Excellent. Give the power to the player, that's what I say.
Sat 13/07/02 at 10:54
Regular
I am certainly looking forward to blinx.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.