GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Personally, I'm still waiting"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 12/07/02 at 13:48
Regular
The perfect game - which everybody agrees is the best thing ever - of course does not exist.
But it would be interesting to know if anyone has actually found what they consider to be the perfect game for them?
You know, a game which on every level truly hits-the-spot for you individually: your gaming soul-mate so to speak.
Is there a game that has the gameplay, the characters, the graphical style, the plot, the concept, the soundtrack, the atmosphere which you just can't fault - so much so that you feel it was created especially for you?

Personally, I'm still waiting.

I always seem to find at least one major flaw with every great game I like which keeps me from awarding it the maximum score.
Yet I must say that there have been many contenders over the years.

When I first played the now unfashionable Tomb Raider for instance, it blew me away. Never before had I experienced a game with such a captivating atmosphere, and which was so vast in its ambition and scale.

More recently, Rez nearly scored full marks on my perfect game checklist, but in the end I came to the conclusion that it was incomplete. As brilliant and as unique as Rez is - it now reminds me more of a finger pointing to a new and exciting genre rather than a complete game in itself.

Of course not finding the perfect game for me doesn't mean that I don't enjoy what's on offer - not at all. In the past year or so I've played a host of truly excellent games, and though many say that gaming is losing that special "something", I actually think that [on the whole] the state of gaming has never been better. The quality and quantity currently available is immense.

I must admit that I'm still trying to decide whether the content of this post is relevant….? But in the time it takes for me to make up my mind, I'll still ask the question regardless: *Have you found your gaming soul-mate - the perfect game for you?* - [Why do I feel like Ally McBeal when I say that?]
Fri 19/07/02 at 10:24
Regular
Jet Set Radio Future is just about my perfect game. The graphics, the music, the characters, the gameplay, it's spot on for me. I think I'll be playing it for years to come.
Fri 19/07/02 at 09:28
Regular
I don't have a "Perfect Game" but my fave at the moment has to be Halo.
Tue 16/07/02 at 23:44
Regular
Shocktrooper wrote:
> What exactly do you have to do in Rez, hmm?>
> Care to explain this 'near-perfect' game?

The point is: it was near-perfect for *me* personally.
I love simple game with a retro style, and REZ was like this except with a new and innovative approach - for instance: the way the visuals, music, sound FX and controller vibration all merged into one stream of gaming goodness.
But like I say, in the end it ultimately feels incomplete, and thus not *my* perfect game.
Having said that, it is still one of my favourite and most played games.
Tue 16/07/02 at 22:39
Regular
"[SE] Acetrooper"
What exactly do you have to do in Rez, hmm?
'Cause, when I played it, all I found myself doing was shooting randomnly and feeling foolish, having not the foggiest as to what the hell to do...

Care to explain this 'near-perfect' game?
Fri 12/07/02 at 23:45
Regular
Goldeneye was perfect at the time.

But it got outdated in the end.
Still, it took state-of-art PC's atleast a year to better it.
Fri 12/07/02 at 23:01
Regular
Personally, I hate RPG's, so Zelda and FF series are out for me.

I'd say that Project Gotham Racing is spot on. Possibly my favourite game at the moment. But in Multiplayer, I prefer Halo. Virtua Tennis is great, as is Chu Chu Rocket and Mario Kart for that "post pub" multiplayer session.

It all depends what mood I'm in. I can't say that I'll like the same game all the time.

Still, maybe that's just me?
Fri 12/07/02 at 16:48
Regular
"Long time no see!"
You could easily name something like The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time or Final Fantasy 7 as the greaest game ever, but that would only be for a certain length of time. Sure, it'd be great for a while, but your choice would soon change.

Games and technology and changing and getting better all the time.
Developers are always coming up with new ways to improve certain genres, and in such a short space of time too!

And with so many sudden changes in gaming, you're choice is bound to be effected as you'll always be anticipating what's to come in the future - no matter how great you felt THAT game was.

Well, that's how I see it anyway.
For example, i've gone from Mario World, to Mario 64, and now onto Zelda: OoT and Super Smash Bros. Melée as possibly the greatest games I have ever played.

I wonder what it'll be tommorow....
Fri 12/07/02 at 13:50
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
What about Zelda Ocarina Of Time. If ever there was a contender for most perfect game ever it was this. Or even the epic FF7.
Fri 12/07/02 at 13:48
Regular
The perfect game - which everybody agrees is the best thing ever - of course does not exist.
But it would be interesting to know if anyone has actually found what they consider to be the perfect game for them?
You know, a game which on every level truly hits-the-spot for you individually: your gaming soul-mate so to speak.
Is there a game that has the gameplay, the characters, the graphical style, the plot, the concept, the soundtrack, the atmosphere which you just can't fault - so much so that you feel it was created especially for you?

Personally, I'm still waiting.

I always seem to find at least one major flaw with every great game I like which keeps me from awarding it the maximum score.
Yet I must say that there have been many contenders over the years.

When I first played the now unfashionable Tomb Raider for instance, it blew me away. Never before had I experienced a game with such a captivating atmosphere, and which was so vast in its ambition and scale.

More recently, Rez nearly scored full marks on my perfect game checklist, but in the end I came to the conclusion that it was incomplete. As brilliant and as unique as Rez is - it now reminds me more of a finger pointing to a new and exciting genre rather than a complete game in itself.

Of course not finding the perfect game for me doesn't mean that I don't enjoy what's on offer - not at all. In the past year or so I've played a host of truly excellent games, and though many say that gaming is losing that special "something", I actually think that [on the whole] the state of gaming has never been better. The quality and quantity currently available is immense.

I must admit that I'm still trying to decide whether the content of this post is relevant….? But in the time it takes for me to make up my mind, I'll still ask the question regardless: *Have you found your gaming soul-mate - the perfect game for you?* - [Why do I feel like Ally McBeal when I say that?]

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.