GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"SCREENBEAT SOUNDSTATION 2, What's it like?"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 12/07/02 at 11:49
Regular
Hello everyone,

I'm thinking of buying a sound system for my PS2, the one in mind is the SCREENBEAT SOUNDSTATION 2 FOR PLAYSTATION 2 for sale here at SR for £45.

http://special.reserve.co.uk/ listings/extrainfo.php?co=GG4093

(space)

Can anyone who has purchased this system give me some advice on sound quality, how it's improved games, it is like bullets from behind you on Medal of honor or just the whole sound but from behind and stuff like that etc. (sorry i'm not very technical)

Also can you tell me what's the actual size in cm, of the sub-woofer, (so i know if it will fit on my PS2 under my tele, and what's the length of the wiring for the other 2 satalite speakers.

Also does it connect into your tele or your PS2?

Cheers for all your help guys

Mark
Fri 12/07/02 at 14:55
Regular
"Fangxforthemammarie"
I have just read the review this monkey wrote

He is lying about the sound increasing / decreasing in the game due to the speakers. The only way this would happen is if the game did it within the program. This guy obviously likes dissapointing people and personally I think he should be banned for deliberately misleading people. It is a great sound system but disregard that monkeys views before you buy
Fri 12/07/02 at 14:50
Regular
"Fangxforthemammarie"
oasismark wrote:
> SOrry, here's another question:
>
> Here's a quote from a review by bowinslim on SR about these
> speakers:
>
>
> "Also another interesting feature is that it has a light sensor
> fixed to the sub-woofer unit which senses when you have turned the
> lights out, when you do the three units will begin to glow brightly in
> an array of different colours using fiberoptics. The units smoothly
> change colour and sycle thriugh the entire spectrum. This is an
> incredibly pleasent feature as it sets a mellow mood"
>
> Sounds well cool, can you confirm this.

I personally have never experienced this and I think this kind person is taking the pee pee. I may be wrong and have not found a special button on it but I very much doubt it. Its a bit sad when someone tries to deceive you for a laugh
Fri 12/07/02 at 14:35
Regular
"Fangxforthemammarie"
The picture SR has is the actual unit you get. It looks very much like the PS2 and blends in nicely.

I tend to watch DVD's on the big TV I have in my lounge not in my spare room where I have the PS2 and soundstation. However I have on a number of occasions used this to great effect (Apocalypse Redux and Leon) when I crashed out in my spare room (games room) when my wife was watching soaps on TV and did not want to see it. It gives really great base and you can feel the air shudder in front of the speaker when you have the bass up high (TOP TIP always have the bass up high to get on the neighbours nerves and loose yourself In MOH:Frontline)

Hope this helps buddy. Oh and get the film Leon uncut on import from the US if you want to see a great film
Fri 12/07/02 at 14:32
Regular
"as tha nowt moist?"
SOrry, here's another question:

Here's a quote from a review by bowinslim on SR about these speakers:

"Also another interesting feature is that it has a light sensor fixed to the sub-woofer unit which senses when you have turned the lights out, when you do the three units will begin to glow brightly in an array of different colours using fiberoptics. The units smoothly change colour and sycle thriugh the entire spectrum. This is an incredibly pleasent feature as it sets a mellow mood"

Sounds well cool, can you confirm this.
Fri 12/07/02 at 14:27
Regular
"as tha nowt moist?"
Cheers Fangface

That's extremely helpful, i get what you mean about going up to the Dolby 5:1 system, but i only have a small room and don't want, or need 7 speakers (2 in tele), so was thinking of doin what you have, as in woofer ontop of ps2, tv speakers on, and the two addtional speakers further away from tv so as to give a "virtual" surround sound. (more at the side of me than behind)

Afew more Q please :D

Do you play dvd movies on your PS2, what's that like, big booming sound like cinema?
(oh dear my poor neighbours!!)

Does it look like the pic on SR cos it looks very cool but says "Images are for guidance only"

Again thanks for help, definatly swayed me into getting this item.

Mark
Fri 12/07/02 at 13:51
Regular
"Fangxforthemammarie"
You have a few questions so here goes

I own one which I got from SR

The speakers are stereo speakers NOT dolby surround speakers

The speakers come with a lead that you plug into the output of the PS2. Your old cable then plugs into this new cable and into the TV. The new cable allows you to take the left and right stereo feeds and put it into the main speaker.

Your TV speakers will still work and I personally have a NICAM stereo TV so have in effect ! bass speaker and 4 normal little speakers(2 on TV & 2 with Bass unit)

The stereo leads are a good distance probably about 2 to 3 metres each. I am not sure as I have the cables coiled up as I only have them 1 metre away from the main unit.

The sound quality is very good with the main benefit being the resounding boom of the bass unit which really adds to the atmosphere in FPS and the like. The soundtrack to SSX Tricky sounds particularly good through the system as does MOH:Frontline

For the money it is a very good system and is the same dimensions as the PS2 laying horizontal although it is marginally thicker. I personally have it lying on top of my PS2 with a 100mm gap above it to let the bass sound circulate. The two other speakers I have either side about 1 metre away.

If you can afford a dolby system (The cheapest system & speakers I have seen is £150) then it will give you a better performance giving true surround sound. HOWEVER not many games support surround sound so you are better of with this system unless you have money to burn

If you want any more information about it post again and I will try to be of further help.
Fri 12/07/02 at 11:49
Regular
"as tha nowt moist?"
Hello everyone,

I'm thinking of buying a sound system for my PS2, the one in mind is the SCREENBEAT SOUNDSTATION 2 FOR PLAYSTATION 2 for sale here at SR for £45.

http://special.reserve.co.uk/ listings/extrainfo.php?co=GG4093

(space)

Can anyone who has purchased this system give me some advice on sound quality, how it's improved games, it is like bullets from behind you on Medal of honor or just the whole sound but from behind and stuff like that etc. (sorry i'm not very technical)

Also can you tell me what's the actual size in cm, of the sub-woofer, (so i know if it will fit on my PS2 under my tele, and what's the length of the wiring for the other 2 satalite speakers.

Also does it connect into your tele or your PS2?

Cheers for all your help guys

Mark

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.