GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"All Rared up..."

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 11/07/02 at 23:24
Regular
Getting well over 7 months now since the rumour began, since Rare first release their little Christmas card that has created rumours about hatred towards Nintendo, Activision and Microsoft and whilst I’ve said many things in the past this is my final and definitive opinion on the subject.

The initial spark was created by Rare’s all so friendly Christmas card with mascot Mr. Pants dressed in Christmas gear. At the back of the card there was a Gamecube, a Gameboy Advance, An X-box and a PS2 and this was apparently a subtle hint that Rare are going Multi-format. What rubbish, an empty Christmas tree if the oh so tiny Gamecube and GBA was all that was under it, Rare’s artists sent this to gaming websites so familiar gaming objects are placed under the tree… what’s the problem here exactly? I’m not going to comment on the my friend said that his friend who works for Activision was in discussion about buying out Rare because it is pointless instead I’m going to fast forward it all to the Electronics Entertainment Expo (E3).

The rumour mill began to turn again when Rare didn’t really show, where was Perfect Dark 0, this is a perfect time to show the game or maybe even a brand new Conker/Banjo or Killer Instinct title? What makes it worse current titles such as Kameo: Elements of Power and Donkey Kong Racing weren’t there either and were in fact removed from Nintendo’s release list. In fact to add more to the tidal wave of rumours Nintendo’s announced a new Donkey Kong game (Donkey Kong +) that isn’t being made by Rare!!! Whilst some people may run around chanting “The end is nigh” I know full well if Rare hadn’t sent that card 5 months prior, no one would’ve battered an eye lid. Meanwhile they did, and so I will try and bring those Armageddon scaremongers down to earth, just for a minute. One plausible reason for Rare’s almost absence has been commented upon recently, Internet. Nintendo’s Internet plans are being kept very secretive, now Mario Kart could be one but lets look at the absent Rare titles. Perfect Dark 0, how can you top Perfect Dark’s multiplayer, make it ONLINE! How about Kameo? Well the chances of a Pokemonline aren’t looking too good, after all how many children play online gaming? But Kameo is a more mature Pokemon game, an Online one would be perfect and with the ability to raise your animal in Donkey Kong racing an online option could well be planned.

So could these games be absent due to Nintendo’s desire to keep their online games under wraps? Well I’m going for the more likely reason. Starfox Adventures was there in full force and will probably be the only Rare title to be released this side of E3 2003 and is one of Nintendo’s big titles of the year. Why would Nintendo or Rare at that matter try and overshadow it? Imagine if a new Perfect Dark game was announced by Rare, Starfox? WHO CARES!!!! Why announce another major title like Conker if you don’t want it to grab the headlines? It is Nintendo’s biggest software line up, Mario, Metroid and Starfox… Nintendo don’t want to overshadow these with games set for a late 2003 release. Those can wait for next year and you have to remember that Starfox was really being pushed at E3 and yeah there was little else from Rare but there was no multi-format announcement either! So what about Donkey Kong +, the game with the connectivity to the GBA. Donkey Kong games be it racers or Platformers are made by Rare bar the original barrel jumping adventures that shot Shigeru Miyamoto to super stardom. And that style of game is exactly what is being made, it is Nintendo being at their retro best and not only would a game like this be pointless for Rare to make but Nintendo have made it before, as they say if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. Rare’s jammed packed schedule will be hard enough for them to cope with as it is and the addition of a small game like this isn’t exactly what they need. Donkey Kong + is Nintendo’s attempt to sell the Gamecube to GBA connection again, the fact Donkey Kong is in it at all is simply to sell copies.

So now 7 months down the line I’m getting fed up of worrying weather or not Nintendo’s best second party developer are going multi-format or not. Just when I felt I can relax and look forward to Rare’s future releases some guy will say something that’ll prompt stupid magazines like XBM that can “finally reveal” that Perfect Dark is coming to the X-box. Do they never learn you shouldn’t put rumours on the front covers of your magazines, you’re putting other third party magazines like X-gamer and NGC to shame! So are Rare going multi-format? No, unless they tell me otherwise.

Dringo.
Thu 11/07/02 at 23:24
Regular
Getting well over 7 months now since the rumour began, since Rare first release their little Christmas card that has created rumours about hatred towards Nintendo, Activision and Microsoft and whilst I’ve said many things in the past this is my final and definitive opinion on the subject.

The initial spark was created by Rare’s all so friendly Christmas card with mascot Mr. Pants dressed in Christmas gear. At the back of the card there was a Gamecube, a Gameboy Advance, An X-box and a PS2 and this was apparently a subtle hint that Rare are going Multi-format. What rubbish, an empty Christmas tree if the oh so tiny Gamecube and GBA was all that was under it, Rare’s artists sent this to gaming websites so familiar gaming objects are placed under the tree… what’s the problem here exactly? I’m not going to comment on the my friend said that his friend who works for Activision was in discussion about buying out Rare because it is pointless instead I’m going to fast forward it all to the Electronics Entertainment Expo (E3).

The rumour mill began to turn again when Rare didn’t really show, where was Perfect Dark 0, this is a perfect time to show the game or maybe even a brand new Conker/Banjo or Killer Instinct title? What makes it worse current titles such as Kameo: Elements of Power and Donkey Kong Racing weren’t there either and were in fact removed from Nintendo’s release list. In fact to add more to the tidal wave of rumours Nintendo’s announced a new Donkey Kong game (Donkey Kong +) that isn’t being made by Rare!!! Whilst some people may run around chanting “The end is nigh” I know full well if Rare hadn’t sent that card 5 months prior, no one would’ve battered an eye lid. Meanwhile they did, and so I will try and bring those Armageddon scaremongers down to earth, just for a minute. One plausible reason for Rare’s almost absence has been commented upon recently, Internet. Nintendo’s Internet plans are being kept very secretive, now Mario Kart could be one but lets look at the absent Rare titles. Perfect Dark 0, how can you top Perfect Dark’s multiplayer, make it ONLINE! How about Kameo? Well the chances of a Pokemonline aren’t looking too good, after all how many children play online gaming? But Kameo is a more mature Pokemon game, an Online one would be perfect and with the ability to raise your animal in Donkey Kong racing an online option could well be planned.

So could these games be absent due to Nintendo’s desire to keep their online games under wraps? Well I’m going for the more likely reason. Starfox Adventures was there in full force and will probably be the only Rare title to be released this side of E3 2003 and is one of Nintendo’s big titles of the year. Why would Nintendo or Rare at that matter try and overshadow it? Imagine if a new Perfect Dark game was announced by Rare, Starfox? WHO CARES!!!! Why announce another major title like Conker if you don’t want it to grab the headlines? It is Nintendo’s biggest software line up, Mario, Metroid and Starfox… Nintendo don’t want to overshadow these with games set for a late 2003 release. Those can wait for next year and you have to remember that Starfox was really being pushed at E3 and yeah there was little else from Rare but there was no multi-format announcement either! So what about Donkey Kong +, the game with the connectivity to the GBA. Donkey Kong games be it racers or Platformers are made by Rare bar the original barrel jumping adventures that shot Shigeru Miyamoto to super stardom. And that style of game is exactly what is being made, it is Nintendo being at their retro best and not only would a game like this be pointless for Rare to make but Nintendo have made it before, as they say if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. Rare’s jammed packed schedule will be hard enough for them to cope with as it is and the addition of a small game like this isn’t exactly what they need. Donkey Kong + is Nintendo’s attempt to sell the Gamecube to GBA connection again, the fact Donkey Kong is in it at all is simply to sell copies.

So now 7 months down the line I’m getting fed up of worrying weather or not Nintendo’s best second party developer are going multi-format or not. Just when I felt I can relax and look forward to Rare’s future releases some guy will say something that’ll prompt stupid magazines like XBM that can “finally reveal” that Perfect Dark is coming to the X-box. Do they never learn you shouldn’t put rumours on the front covers of your magazines, you’re putting other third party magazines like X-gamer and NGC to shame! So are Rare going multi-format? No, unless they tell me otherwise.

Dringo.
Fri 12/07/02 at 12:17
Regular
Yeah, if Rare were going anywhere, we'd have heard something by now.

So Dringo, now you're certain that Rare are staying with Nintendo, does that mean you're going to stop trying to hate them! :-D

I don't think Kameo is going online.

Remember how it was with Perfect Dark.
It showed up once at E3 and then was not shown again for a few years.
This was because Rare were stacking it with secrets and new ideas that they didn't want people to copy.

I reckon that Kameo is on the same course.

Although it's early footage was impressive, it was clearly in early devellopment with sparse graphics and bland environments.

What's more, no matter how much Nintendo try and pressure them, Rare refuse to go with the new short 'n sweet policy. It's garaunteed that Starfox and Kameo are going to be BIG!
And they're situated just outside Leicester too.

Rare rule!
Fri 12/07/02 at 15:50
Regular
You're wrong actually Rare are the only company Nintendo don't put pressure on, oh and the short and sweet policy turned out to be false anyway.

As for Kameo well it was further along han Starfox at E3 2001....
Fri 12/07/02 at 16:40
Regular
"Long time no see!"
I just like to think of it as something along the lines of: "Great games can take a great deal of time to be made" And that we'll be more than happy with the final result when it does arrive.

To be honest, i'm not really all that bothered about when the games come, just as long as they do. I think that the over-shadowing effect may have something to do with it - and it does make sense.
This is why i'm not really bothered, as there are more than enough games coming soon from Nintendo, and when those are done with, i'll be ready for Rare.

I've seen some clips of Kameo: Elements of Power and it does look like a very interesting game - unlike anything i've really seen before. I hope it doesn't get cancelled or anything.

Anyway, it seems like you may have sussed it Dringo - well done! :)
I'm not sure wether on-line gaming has anything to do with it though, I don't think Rare will be rushing into that just yet.
Fri 12/07/02 at 23:14
Regular
Dringo wrote:
> You're wrong actually Rare are the only company Nintendo don't put
> pressure on, oh and the short and sweet policy turned out to be false
> anyway.

Actually, someone posted about one possible reason for Rare going multiformat was because they were sick of pressure from Nintendo to make shorter games. It might've been only a rumour though...

> As for Kameo well it was further along han Starfox at E3 2001....

Not really. Although Starfox had less to show for it, most of the groundwork had already been done in the form of Dinosaur Planet for the N64. Most of the work was converting N64 to Gamecube.

Kameo, although that was running more smoothly as in the gameplay department, it's clear that it had little in terms of "design".
The levels were generally bland and characterless.

That's because in this title, they'd simply made a playable demo to build a world around (which is the right way of doing things, but it still means that there's a hell of a lot of work to be done).

I'm expecting big things from Rare.

The only title that really concerns me is DK Racing.
We got an FMV sequence about a year ago and that's it.
Nothing playable, no in game screenshots, no news whatsoever...

It shouldn't be taking THIS long to make...
It's not like it's a big epic adventure or anything...

Then again, this is Rare we're talking about! :-D
Sat 13/07/02 at 12:20
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Well, I've been sceptical about these rumours from the start. A christmas card really does not necessarily mean anything. It's a card. And Starfox adventures is shaping up real nice.

Also, we mustn't forget about Free Radical Design (one of the factors I think has been sorely missing from the 'Rare going multiformat' rumours) because after Goldeneye, quite a few of the people who developed Goldeneye decided they wanted to form their own company to develop games, and they went on to make Timesplitters, (they're now making Timesplitters 2 for all next gen consoles I believe...) Surely the majority of people who were sick of development on just Nintendo consoles at Rare would have left when Free Radical Design was formed, thus leaving just those who were happy with Nintendo. And yes, that was a fair few years ago now, but the only real reason I can see for Rare going multi platform would be bigger profits.

If you make a game for one console you can optimise it to what that console can do, rather than having to make a game taking into account that you can only use a feature if you like that is available to all the consoles. So making a game purely for one console (especially when the console manufacturer is helping you out when you need it) can result in a better game.

I don't claim to know whether Rare are going multi-format or not. It could be beneficial to them, but the only real reason to go multi-format is for more money. The rumours are constantly shifting. Last month NGC mag seemed to think Rare going multi-format was inevitable, it was just a matter of when it happened, this month they seem to be sure that the Activision rumours are untrue, and that Rare have actually said they are getting annoyed at the amount of rumours being spread by the internet and through other mediums *cough* X-Box magazine *cough*

So I don't know. Rare could go either way, but I know they will continue to make great games. And that's what really matters isn't it?
Sat 13/07/02 at 12:56
Regular
I can't see Nintendo and Rare breaking apart after Starfox Adventures.
Sat 13/07/02 at 13:37
Regular
"Selected"
SolidSnakeXXI wrote:
> I can't see Nintendo and Rare breaking apart after Starfox Adventures.

Would you have said the same thing 10 years ago with Squaresoft, the final fantasy series and Nintendo?

Ahh but Squaresoft have come home now....awww.
Sat 13/07/02 at 18:56
Regular
I didn't know the first few FF were made by Nintendo aswell. Wow, they are such a class company - the king of RPGs.
Sat 13/07/02 at 19:49
Regular
"Nasty Fat Hobbit!"
Nice comments Dringo, twice ; )
I made my "own" comments regarding the Rare matter felt at Cube-Europe, under my old SR Username of Wolfhound for all to see : ).

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.