GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"It just a game"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 11/07/02 at 21:22
Regular
"It's just a game" is something you hear quite often when you get angry when you make a mistake and go wrong or die in a game. People winder why we get so worked up over somehting that is not real and doesn't really affect us, or does it? When you lose on a game you feel that you have failed somehow don't you? Well I do, sort of anyway.

We get so into a game that when ever something goes wrong we get really mad, and if there is someone else in the room with you, most of the time you will blame them, everyone does it! Well, I do anyway.
It's almost human nature to blame someone else. And what makes it worse is when you get really far, haven't saved it, then someone walks past and takes the controller with it pulling the console with it, or a power cut.

But if we get made about this, imagine what people will be like when games get more real and people get more and more into a game so much that some people may actually lash out at people and do some serious damage to someone and people have done things more serious for less. It's sad, I know...
But that's what people are like these days. Then I expect some people will blame videogames for violence like they already, (i.e. blaming them for teching kids what to do and to break the law etc...)
Then that could be the end of gaming, but I doubt it very much!

But can games really have that much control over us? Can they really influence our actions so much? Maybe not now, but in the future. Game companies my use their 'power' to do what they want. They already do it now, sort of. People like Hideo Kojima make stunning games and make you buy the sequal.
But people that make games for the release of films only release them for the film because they know that people will buy them when its obvious that no time has been spent on it because no-one knows ages before a film comes out, what the story is going to be.

So when will they stop? Will they use their 'power' to get more and more money out of us ando nly occasionally get a decent game? But I suppose while there are people like Hideo Kojima, naughty dog and rockstar ( There are soo many at the moment!!) we should be alright.

Cheers.

Devil-Boy
Thu 11/07/02 at 21:22
Regular
"It's just a game" is something you hear quite often when you get angry when you make a mistake and go wrong or die in a game. People winder why we get so worked up over somehting that is not real and doesn't really affect us, or does it? When you lose on a game you feel that you have failed somehow don't you? Well I do, sort of anyway.

We get so into a game that when ever something goes wrong we get really mad, and if there is someone else in the room with you, most of the time you will blame them, everyone does it! Well, I do anyway.
It's almost human nature to blame someone else. And what makes it worse is when you get really far, haven't saved it, then someone walks past and takes the controller with it pulling the console with it, or a power cut.

But if we get made about this, imagine what people will be like when games get more real and people get more and more into a game so much that some people may actually lash out at people and do some serious damage to someone and people have done things more serious for less. It's sad, I know...
But that's what people are like these days. Then I expect some people will blame videogames for violence like they already, (i.e. blaming them for teching kids what to do and to break the law etc...)
Then that could be the end of gaming, but I doubt it very much!

But can games really have that much control over us? Can they really influence our actions so much? Maybe not now, but in the future. Game companies my use their 'power' to do what they want. They already do it now, sort of. People like Hideo Kojima make stunning games and make you buy the sequal.
But people that make games for the release of films only release them for the film because they know that people will buy them when its obvious that no time has been spent on it because no-one knows ages before a film comes out, what the story is going to be.

So when will they stop? Will they use their 'power' to get more and more money out of us ando nly occasionally get a decent game? But I suppose while there are people like Hideo Kojima, naughty dog and rockstar ( There are soo many at the moment!!) we should be alright.

Cheers.

Devil-Boy
Fri 12/07/02 at 22:12
Regular
POP

Someone please reply. I know it's rubbish but I'm trying to get better. Read my tag.

Thanks...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.