GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"1 standard machine"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 11/07/02 at 11:36
Regular
Instead of all these different formats, why doesn't everyone work together and just make one machine. Same hardware, software, just one format. Nice and easy!
Thu 11/07/02 at 11:36
Regular
Instead of all these different formats, why doesn't everyone work together and just make one machine. Same hardware, software, just one format. Nice and easy!
Thu 11/07/02 at 11:38
Regular
".......on the attac"
When there is no competition, things become stale. For example, WWE. This is crap as there is no ECW or WCW to challenge it.
Thu 11/07/02 at 11:38
"High polygon count"
I mentioned this a while ago.

One standard, with machines from several manufacturers. All play the same games, on the same format, but some have extra 'bells & whistles'.

Just like all video recorders play the same VHS tapes, and all DVD players play the same discs - but each have some advantages over others.
Thu 11/07/02 at 11:41
Regular
ive heard this 2 years ago...... again and again...... awwww man nothing changes.
Thu 11/07/02 at 11:41
"Darkness, always"
While that might work for the console gaming industry, it would be ridculous for PCs.

Some people need more physical memory, some people need more RAM or raw processing power. Others still need higher levels of sound playback of 3d acceleration.

One of the PCs strengths is that it is customisable to the customers needs. Taking this away would be a tragedy.
Thu 11/07/02 at 11:42
Regular
I can't see Microsoft co-operating with anyone, I mean its not like they make there windows OS system compatible with any software is it.
Thu 11/07/02 at 11:47
"High polygon count"
Insane Bartender wrote:
> While that might work for the console gaming industry, it would be
> ridculous for PCs.

I agree, it wouldn't work for PC's - but in the console world, it would be a good idea, I think. Not that it will ever happen - but still.
Thu 11/07/02 at 11:48
Regular
how long before games consoles get a real operating system? Say, the X-Box came loaded with Win XP, and PS2 and GC also had their own similar operating systems. I dont think this would be a good idea. More to go wrong for a start. More complex operation. Writing games for a console would be almost like writing a PC game. You have to think about the host OS as much as the hardware.
Thu 11/07/02 at 11:52
"Darkness, always"
However, it has to be said that any console that was made as a standard piece would have to be a co-operative effort from the top companies.

They would have to work together for the best spec.

This would create a marvelous games market. Each of the consoles "owners" would know that the only way to make it profitable for them is to come out with the best games. So it would be true and outright competition - who makes the better games.

However, given that it's a powerful commitment to make, as well as a PR nightmare, I doubt it will ever happen, and realistically speaking, it would only make room for lesser known console developers to carve their niche into the market.
Thu 11/07/02 at 11:54
Regular
"Well hit on me..."
I personally hope that consoles stay simple, I don't particulary like the browser system on the PS2, have seen the GC or XBox ones yet, even though the Memory card browser is handy.

I miss the days when I could throw a cartridge at my sister then slam dunk it into my SNES, N64, life was simple then.....

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.