GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"War Diary"

The "Creative Writing" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 20/04/08 at 12:43
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Thought I'd ask the experts...

My father served as a carrier pilot during the 2nd World War, seeing action in the North Atlantic and the Pacific. During this time, he maintained a daily diary detailing all the usual stuff. This diary was written for my mother and as such also includes other intimate comments! Now at the grand age of 84, he is insistant that it be published! I have recently 'picked up' the task of re-writing and proofing the final copy.

The problem now is the title. A former shipmate, who has had two factual books published about the same events, has read the draft and suggested...

'Dearest Dorothy ...the intimate diary of a young 'just married' man while he was a RN carrier pilot in WW2'

To me, I'm not sure - it seems as long as the book! Any advice or suggestions would be most gratefully accepted. Thanks...
Fri 16/05/08 at 20:58
Regular
I like the "Dearest Dorothy" in the title. I'd buy it for my library :)
Sun 20/04/08 at 15:51
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Garin wrote:
> Not sure about too long, especially if you consider the
> descriptive part a sub-title. The english is a bit awkward for a
> title though, maybe something along the lines of
> "Dearest Dorothy - the intimate WW2 diaries of a newly wed
> RN carrier pilot" or some close variation.

Thanks for your thoughts Garin, much appreciated - a far better idea - we shall try and work around your suggestion. Thanks again:)
Sun 20/04/08 at 15:24
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Not sure about too long, especially if you consider the descriptive part a sub-title. The english is a bit awkward for a title though, maybe something along the lines of
"Dearest Dorothy - the intimate WW2 diaries of a newly wed RN carrier pilot" or some close variation.
Sun 20/04/08 at 12:43
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Thought I'd ask the experts...

My father served as a carrier pilot during the 2nd World War, seeing action in the North Atlantic and the Pacific. During this time, he maintained a daily diary detailing all the usual stuff. This diary was written for my mother and as such also includes other intimate comments! Now at the grand age of 84, he is insistant that it be published! I have recently 'picked up' the task of re-writing and proofing the final copy.

The problem now is the title. A former shipmate, who has had two factual books published about the same events, has read the draft and suggested...

'Dearest Dorothy ...the intimate diary of a young 'just married' man while he was a RN carrier pilot in WW2'

To me, I'm not sure - it seems as long as the book! Any advice or suggestions would be most gratefully accepted. Thanks...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.