GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Who Says It's Over!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 10/07/02 at 14:53
Regular
For months on-end now we've all had to face-up to the truth, take-in a deep breath and admit that the PS2 has already run-away with title of no.1 in the latest Console War in the Gaming World. With over 30m units sold worldwide in the space of less-than 2 years and great games like GTA 3 and Final Fantasy 10 to go with that, it looks as if SONY need worshipping once again. And with less than 5m units sold worldwide from both parties so-far, it looks as if Microsoft and Nintendo will be left scrapping like school kids for the Silver Medal and the space below the PS2.

Well, that's how it appears to be set for now. Mention the names GameCube or even X-box to someone and you'll soon wish you hadn't!
PS2 fans (a large majority of gamers today) see the big X-box and the little GameCube as no more of a threat than that of what their name suggests. Just a box, just a cube.

Like I just said, a large majority of today's gamers own one of SONY's black chart-toppers, as the success of one console has continued on from it's pre-deccessor (the PlayStation). In fact, if you don't own a PlayStation 2, then you're seen as an un-cool looser by a majority of the younger PS2 owners. But hey, who cares!

Let's think for a minute...
In order to maintain their top-spot, SONY will need to make sure the PS2 keeps-on selling well untill 2005, or whenever both the X-box and GameCube have called it a day and the PS3 is ready to enter the scene. To sell a product you need a buyer. But if every-single one of SONY's target audience members already has a PS2, how can they expect to sell anymore??
Why would a GameCube or X-box owner want to buy something else when he's more than happy with what he's got!?
SONY could be in for a rough ride in the near future!
After all, how many PS2 fans out-there can there be who DON'T own one of SONY's top-boxes! And to add to that, why would they want two??

Ok, so the PS2's sales may not be as great over the next few years as they have been during the last 2. But 30m units is still one hell-of-a total to overcome - even in the space of 5 years! So if they're going to achieve this great feat, Shigsy and Gatesy will have to start banging out the great games like Game Over is just 5 minutes away!!
This is something that they may actually achieve!
We've all seen how Nintendo stole the E3 2002 show with a superb line-up of the likes of Zelda, Mario, and a whole load more, so they'd be the instant favourites to sink SONY's boat. As for SONY themself, what have they got lined-up for the future?? All we've seen so-far are more Grand Theft Autos, more Gran Turismos, and even more Final Fantasy games - that's all! Excuse me but... *YAWN* - where's the originallity there!??
And as for Microsoft, their future plans ain't too bad either.
Sure, there may be anoter Halo game on the way, but who can argue with that! And there's also The Matrix, SEGA's huge influence with Crazy Taxi 3, Toe Jam and Earl, and more - and also their on-line plans.

So if anyone's gunna find it hard in the near future this time around, it'll be SONY and their PS2, unlike Nintendo's N64. And a large number of those GameCube games we saw at E3 are set for a late 2002/early 2003 release - just think about the future....

A console can't sell unless the public know about it.
No problem for Ninty! It seems that wherever you turn, you'll see something advertising the GameCube and games like Pikmin. Microsoft aren't exactly a little company these days either. Thanks to Bill Gates and their PC work, there isn't an OAP on the planet who doesn't recognise MS as short-hand for Microsoft. SONY had a well-noticed advertising campaign when the PS2 was launched with the '3rd Place' - and look where they are today! But what about tommorow? What have we seen advertising their product as number one recently?? Exactly!

So as I stare into my 128-bit Crystal Ball, I can see that the path is not as clear and safe as SONY would like as they get ready to go on a bumpy ride into the future. Nintendo seem to be heading in the correct direction, and Microsoft don't seem all that far behind.
So who knows.... as my Crystal Ball has shown me, Nintendo may have discovered the path on the way to success and SONY have gotten stuck back at the crossroads.

Hey, it's only 30m! SONY have reached more than that many in the space of 2 years, just think what Nintendo or Microsoft could do in the space of FIVE!!

It ain't over 'till the fat lady sings...... X-box can sing????
Wed 10/07/02 at 14:53
Regular
"Long time no see!"
For months on-end now we've all had to face-up to the truth, take-in a deep breath and admit that the PS2 has already run-away with title of no.1 in the latest Console War in the Gaming World. With over 30m units sold worldwide in the space of less-than 2 years and great games like GTA 3 and Final Fantasy 10 to go with that, it looks as if SONY need worshipping once again. And with less than 5m units sold worldwide from both parties so-far, it looks as if Microsoft and Nintendo will be left scrapping like school kids for the Silver Medal and the space below the PS2.

Well, that's how it appears to be set for now. Mention the names GameCube or even X-box to someone and you'll soon wish you hadn't!
PS2 fans (a large majority of gamers today) see the big X-box and the little GameCube as no more of a threat than that of what their name suggests. Just a box, just a cube.

Like I just said, a large majority of today's gamers own one of SONY's black chart-toppers, as the success of one console has continued on from it's pre-deccessor (the PlayStation). In fact, if you don't own a PlayStation 2, then you're seen as an un-cool looser by a majority of the younger PS2 owners. But hey, who cares!

Let's think for a minute...
In order to maintain their top-spot, SONY will need to make sure the PS2 keeps-on selling well untill 2005, or whenever both the X-box and GameCube have called it a day and the PS3 is ready to enter the scene. To sell a product you need a buyer. But if every-single one of SONY's target audience members already has a PS2, how can they expect to sell anymore??
Why would a GameCube or X-box owner want to buy something else when he's more than happy with what he's got!?
SONY could be in for a rough ride in the near future!
After all, how many PS2 fans out-there can there be who DON'T own one of SONY's top-boxes! And to add to that, why would they want two??

Ok, so the PS2's sales may not be as great over the next few years as they have been during the last 2. But 30m units is still one hell-of-a total to overcome - even in the space of 5 years! So if they're going to achieve this great feat, Shigsy and Gatesy will have to start banging out the great games like Game Over is just 5 minutes away!!
This is something that they may actually achieve!
We've all seen how Nintendo stole the E3 2002 show with a superb line-up of the likes of Zelda, Mario, and a whole load more, so they'd be the instant favourites to sink SONY's boat. As for SONY themself, what have they got lined-up for the future?? All we've seen so-far are more Grand Theft Autos, more Gran Turismos, and even more Final Fantasy games - that's all! Excuse me but... *YAWN* - where's the originallity there!??
And as for Microsoft, their future plans ain't too bad either.
Sure, there may be anoter Halo game on the way, but who can argue with that! And there's also The Matrix, SEGA's huge influence with Crazy Taxi 3, Toe Jam and Earl, and more - and also their on-line plans.

So if anyone's gunna find it hard in the near future this time around, it'll be SONY and their PS2, unlike Nintendo's N64. And a large number of those GameCube games we saw at E3 are set for a late 2002/early 2003 release - just think about the future....

A console can't sell unless the public know about it.
No problem for Ninty! It seems that wherever you turn, you'll see something advertising the GameCube and games like Pikmin. Microsoft aren't exactly a little company these days either. Thanks to Bill Gates and their PC work, there isn't an OAP on the planet who doesn't recognise MS as short-hand for Microsoft. SONY had a well-noticed advertising campaign when the PS2 was launched with the '3rd Place' - and look where they are today! But what about tommorow? What have we seen advertising their product as number one recently?? Exactly!

So as I stare into my 128-bit Crystal Ball, I can see that the path is not as clear and safe as SONY would like as they get ready to go on a bumpy ride into the future. Nintendo seem to be heading in the correct direction, and Microsoft don't seem all that far behind.
So who knows.... as my Crystal Ball has shown me, Nintendo may have discovered the path on the way to success and SONY have gotten stuck back at the crossroads.

Hey, it's only 30m! SONY have reached more than that many in the space of 2 years, just think what Nintendo or Microsoft could do in the space of FIVE!!

It ain't over 'till the fat lady sings...... X-box can sing????
Wed 10/07/02 at 15:44
"Darkness, always"
you give Sony 2 years, and Nintendo and MS only a few months to make your comparisons?

I think you need to revisit this subject again with a pinch of perspective salt. Sure, PS2 has sold more units, sure it's still outselling the other two consoles, but give them a few months more, in fact give them a year, and I think you'll find some changes happening.

You say the PS2 has "great games", yet only quote GTA3 and FFX. GTA3 is old, and to be honest, hardly loaded with complicated gameplay, while Final Fantasy games have gotten progressivle worse since number 7.

The X-Box may not "sing" but i'm pretty sure Microsoft know the music well enouh to dance to it. And I'm equally certain that the BOX will survive, albeit in a form you will not recognise.

As for the GC, the USA is likely to be it's greatest stronghold, as always for Nintendo, since 1 in 5 american households own a Nintendo console. With that potential selling power, not to mention the lower price, the GC will soon make itself known as a serious competitor.

In my opinion, the race is between Sony and Nintendo. MicroSoft will carve their little niche in the market, and will live on it. And 30million consoles, while a lot, isn't *that* many, considering previous consoles sales figures, so there is plenty of room left for competition.
Wed 10/07/02 at 18:32
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Solskjaer, when did you begin to write console wars topics?
Wed 10/07/02 at 22:38
Regular
Nintendo plan to shift 50 million Gamecube's by 2005 (within 3 years).

I think they can manage it, especially when lots of PS2 owners are buying a GC AS WELL as their PS2. Cheap and different.

Sure, EVERY console is getting great scores realistic racers, shooters, fighters and RPG's, but there's only one that's also getting games about Vacuuming Ghosts, Controlling hordes of little flower people, rolling monkeys in perspex balls etc...

Also, there's no better console when you have friends round...
Wed 10/07/02 at 22:39
"High polygon count"
Insane Bartender wrote:
> And 30million consoles, while a lot, isn't *that* many, considering
> previous consoles sales figures

As you mention previous consoles sales figures, you and others may (or may not!) be interested to know that the PS2 is currently selling at three times the rate that PS1 did in its first two years.
Fri 12/07/02 at 16:31
Regular
"Long time no see!"
===SONICRAV---> wrote:
"Solskjaer, when did you begin to write console wars topics?"

As soon as I realised I had nothing else to write about - not even something about football right now!
But this is something i've been thinking about for the last week or so, and I thought it'd be a good idea to share ideas. :)

And IB, that's what I was trying to say - that Nintendo or even Microsoft could quite easily turn things upside-down for SONY within the space of a year or so, due to the fact that the PS2 has already pretty much had it's 'good times'. It's pretty much getting near the end for that machine, and so SONY are trying to get into the PS3 now, to keep the attention in their direction.
And even if FFX and GTA 3 are great games, those games and endless sequels and add-ons are all the great games the PS2 has really got left to show in it's future.

And Strafex, I knew something like that would come from you. :)
That also shows how Nintendo's ambition could cause SONY to cancel the party they pre-booked months ago.
Fri 12/07/02 at 20:17
"High polygon count"
Solskjær wrote:
> And even if FFX and GTA 3 are great games, those games and endless
> sequels and add-ons are all the great games the PS2 has really got
> left to show in it's future.

If that's what you truly think, you're mad!
Sun 14/07/02 at 02:18
Regular
"bing bang bong"
PS2's success really is a shame, considering how tatty the console is. Gamecubes lineup over the next 6 months or so does indeed look stunning, but it won't be enough to seriously dent Sony.
Sun 14/07/02 at 10:28
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
It's not just about the seeling of consoles though. Who makes money from hardware in the console market ? Hardly anyone and hardly very much. Games bring in the revenue, not hardware and I think this is an rea Sony need to tkae a good luck at after this years releases so far...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.