GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Online Gaming"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 09/07/02 at 12:00
Regular
NOT A CONSOLE WAR! DON'T EVEN TRY IT!

Just thinking about how a few people on here seem to think that the fact that their XBOX has a modem that it is amazing.

The fact is that internet play is incredibly poor at the moment for us, we are having to pay up to £35 a month for a basic broadband internet connection which is good for some of us but many of us are not in the position to fork out this money each month.

Having a modem in the console is a great thing to boast about but for many people who have bought a console this is just going to force the price up for something that we are never going to use. I'm pretty sure that Microsoft could have allowed the modem to be sold as a seperate peripheral and then lowered the price of the console, people who then wanted to play online will be able to buy the modem extra and people like me who won't get broadband for a long time would have a cheaper console to persuade us to buy it.

At the moment though, online gaming isn't going to take off for a long time. All real time games that have got online capabilities will be hard and boring for us due to large lags. The only games that are good online for us at the moment are games where you take turns like Worms.

What we really need is for the price of broadband internet to fall further so that more people can afford it, online gaming in this country is being killed by the high prices.

What do you think?
Wed 10/07/02 at 17:20
"Darkness, always"
what odds do I get that Techno Freak is Dave RJR?
Wed 10/07/02 at 17:17
Regular
"A man with a stick"
I think it's techno freaks vain attempt at comedy. Looks like it didn't work.
Wed 10/07/02 at 16:50
Regular
Broadband a music group wtf you mean?
Wed 10/07/02 at 16:13
Regular
C what i mean!
Wed 10/07/02 at 16:09
Regular
Is broadband some in music group?
Wed 10/07/02 at 15:44
Regular
My area is not served by broadband, so on-line games are out of the question really. But there are other nearby area's which are broadband enabled. But just because they could use it, doesn't mean they are using it. Loads of people there are not even thinking about taking up broadband. Mainly the cost is a problem. Some people still don't yet know what broadband even is!
Tue 09/07/02 at 13:08
Regular
"I like cheese"
Online gaming has a long way to go yet.

The only games I want to play online are Tactical Ops (will be doing when I get my new PC) and the rumoured online MGS.
Tue 09/07/02 at 13:00
"Darkness, always"
the cost to microsoft for putting a modem in the XBOX is absolutely marginal. Do you really think a saving of less than £5 per machine would be passed onto the customer?

By selling the XBOX with the modem as an integrated peripheral, they have given EVERY buyer the opportunity to make the decision of online gaming without having to fork out on extra hardware.
Tue 09/07/02 at 12:41
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
Online gaming is a dream and an ideal, but not yet a reality.
Tue 09/07/02 at 12:00
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
NOT A CONSOLE WAR! DON'T EVEN TRY IT!

Just thinking about how a few people on here seem to think that the fact that their XBOX has a modem that it is amazing.

The fact is that internet play is incredibly poor at the moment for us, we are having to pay up to £35 a month for a basic broadband internet connection which is good for some of us but many of us are not in the position to fork out this money each month.

Having a modem in the console is a great thing to boast about but for many people who have bought a console this is just going to force the price up for something that we are never going to use. I'm pretty sure that Microsoft could have allowed the modem to be sold as a seperate peripheral and then lowered the price of the console, people who then wanted to play online will be able to buy the modem extra and people like me who won't get broadband for a long time would have a cheaper console to persuade us to buy it.

At the moment though, online gaming isn't going to take off for a long time. All real time games that have got online capabilities will be hard and boring for us due to large lags. The only games that are good online for us at the moment are games where you take turns like Worms.

What we really need is for the price of broadband internet to fall further so that more people can afford it, online gaming in this country is being killed by the high prices.

What do you think?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.