GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Consoles have other uses too you know!!!!"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 09/07/02 at 11:15
Regular
Usually you own a console to play games on. After all, that is their main purpose. Sometimes however, your poor console is just left around collecting dust while you do something else. It’s not as though you play games all the time. So what use is your console if you don’t want to play games? What other things can you do with your console? Well, that is the question I asked my self and over the last few days I have been experimenting to unearth many other uses for your little (or big in XBox’s case) box of joy. Here is what I discovered: -

*PS2*

Usually I would expect my PS2 to be churning out such games like MGS2 and Gran Turismo 3. However, over the past days my PS2 has been put to the limit showing me it’s other capabilities. The first thing I found quite interesting was the skipping rope method. Basically you need two controllers, official or cheapo madcatz or any other cheapo controller will do. Now place the PS2 on the floor behind you and swing it over your head. As the console flies towards your legs quickly jump over it and proceed with the swinging motion. I had hours of joy doing this and it even kept me off Final Fantasy X. I managed to do 36 jumps last night which is probably my record. How many can you do?

After many skipping sessions with my PS2 it had started to become a bit dark outside. However! Thanks to the brilliantly bright LED’s on the front of the console I could continue my sessions. After this second great discovery I packed my bags and decided to go camping in a dark jungle to really test this method. As night fell I popped my PS2 and some spare car batteries in my pocket and set off in search for… well, twigs. As I came to a dark bit of the forest out came my PS2, which was now powered by the car batteries. Suddenly the whole forest was lit with a gleaming blue and green tint and my twig collecting became much easier. If you too want to go twig collecting or perform any other activity at night but can’t see, then just simply do what I did. Hook a car battery to the PS2, switch it on, and what do you know! Brilliant pocket lighting that could do Mag-lite out of business.

*Xbox*

Because I don’t personally have an Xbox, I decided to go around to Dixons and claim I had lost my mum. Even though I was 16 and perfectly knew my way around town, the manager still let me wait in a room until my parents were contacted. In this room there was a Game Cube and an Xbox so I decided to get to work. As this is the Xbox section then I can say that I started off with the Xbox even though it was the Game Cube that I experimented with first. After all X comes before G in the alphabet (What? Do you really expect a 16 year old who loses his mum to know the alphabet? Seriously? Do you?). Anyway, after a while they brought me a drink in. As there was no table to put my drink on I had to sit there holding it, until of course, I found out Xbox function number 2! Yes! The average cup sits perfectly on the disk tray freeing my hands so I could continue playing on the Game Cube. Now I know why people have two consoles! Not because of the different games. No. Simply because you can put your cup on one while you play the other. Bill Gates I salute you! Wait… no I don’t.

When the Dixons staff finally realised that I was taking them for a ride I heard a loud knock on the door. Frantically I tried to lift the heavy bulk of the Xbox before the door could be opened. Just in time I managed to block the door with the heavy mass. Now what a use that is! If only the Xbox had been invented during the time of The Shining! Then Jack wouldn’t have been able to get in.

*Game Cube*

Before I got chucked out of Dixons I did manage to experiment a bit with the Game Cube. First I stuck the cardboard out of a toilet roll to the bottom of the Game Cube (after detaching the controllers). Next I got a round bit of foam and stuck in on the top. For some reason there was a copy of Radio Times in the room and I was lucky enough to find a Radio Five Live logo! You personally can easily print one off the net. Now, after attaching the logo’s to the side of the ‘Cube my contraption was complete! Yes! I had turned a Game Cube into my very own ‘Five Live interview microphone’. Nice! Now I could go around talking to strangers without getting funny looks!

Another nice thing I discovered was that you can turn the Game Cube into your very own pet! Simply attach a controller to one of the middle ports, attach some wheels to the bottom and voila! For extra ‘cuteness’ you can add a Pikachu mask. Watch as passers by look in envy at your cute little ‘thing’. You could even be the first person to win Crufts with a Game Cube.

Now that’s innovation!

Thanks for reading,
Regular
"  "
Usually you own a console to play games on. After all, that is their main purpose. Sometimes however, your poor console is just left around collecting dust while you do something else. It’s not as though you play games all the time. So what use is your console if you don’t want to play games? What other things can you do with your console? Well, that is the question I asked my self and over the last few days I have been experimenting to unearth many other uses for your little (or big in XBox’s case) box of joy. Here is what I discovered: -

*PS2*

Usually I would expect my PS2 to be churning out such games like MGS2 and Gran Turismo 3. However, over the past days my PS2 has been put to the limit showing me it’s other capabilities. The first thing I found quite interesting was the skipping rope method. Basically you need two controllers, official or cheapo madcatz or any other cheapo controller will do. Now place the PS2 on the floor behind you and swing it over your head. As the console flies towards your legs quickly jump over it and proceed with the swinging motion. I had hours of joy doing this and it even kept me off Final Fantasy X. I managed to do 36 jumps last night which is probably my record. How many can you do?

After many skipping sessions with my PS2 it had started to become a bit dark outside. However! Thanks to the brilliantly bright LED’s on the front of the console I could continue my sessions. After this second great discovery I packed my bags and decided to go camping in a dark jungle to really test this method. As night fell I popped my PS2 and some spare car batteries in my pocket and set off in search for… well, twigs. As I came to a dark bit of the forest out came my PS2, which was now powered by the car batteries. Suddenly the whole forest was lit with a gleaming blue and green tint and my twig collecting became much easier. If you too want to go twig collecting or perform any other activity at night but can’t see, then just simply do what I did. Hook a car battery to the PS2, switch it on, and what do you know! Brilliant pocket lighting that could do Mag-lite out of business.

*Xbox*

Because I don’t personally have an Xbox, I decided to go around to Dixons and claim I had lost my mum. Even though I was 16 and perfectly knew my way around town, the manager still let me wait in a room until my parents were contacted. In this room there was a Game Cube and an Xbox so I decided to get to work. As this is the Xbox section then I can say that I started off with the Xbox even though it was the Game Cube that I experimented with first. After all X comes before G in the alphabet (What? Do you really expect a 16 year old who loses his mum to know the alphabet? Seriously? Do you?). Anyway, after a while they brought me a drink in. As there was no table to put my drink on I had to sit there holding it, until of course, I found out Xbox function number 2! Yes! The average cup sits perfectly on the disk tray freeing my hands so I could continue playing on the Game Cube. Now I know why people have two consoles! Not because of the different games. No. Simply because you can put your cup on one while you play the other. Bill Gates I salute you! Wait… no I don’t.

When the Dixons staff finally realised that I was taking them for a ride I heard a loud knock on the door. Frantically I tried to lift the heavy bulk of the Xbox before the door could be opened. Just in time I managed to block the door with the heavy mass. Now what a use that is! If only the Xbox had been invented during the time of The Shining! Then Jack wouldn’t have been able to get in.

*Game Cube*

Before I got chucked out of Dixons I did manage to experiment a bit with the Game Cube. First I stuck the cardboard out of a toilet roll to the bottom of the Game Cube (after detaching the controllers). Next I got a round bit of foam and stuck in on the top. For some reason there was a copy of Radio Times in the room and I was lucky enough to find a Radio Five Live logo! You personally can easily print one off the net. Now, after attaching the logo’s to the side of the ‘Cube my contraption was complete! Yes! I had turned a Game Cube into my very own ‘Five Live interview microphone’. Nice! Now I could go around talking to strangers without getting funny looks!

Another nice thing I discovered was that you can turn the Game Cube into your very own pet! Simply attach a controller to one of the middle ports, attach some wheels to the bottom and voila! For extra ‘cuteness’ you can add a Pikachu mask. Watch as passers by look in envy at your cute little ‘thing’. You could even be the first person to win Crufts with a Game Cube.

Now that’s innovation!

Thanks for reading,
Regular
"  "
****Thanks for reading,
Nath****

that should say :D
Tue 09/07/02 at 11:17
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
Hmm, well if it's a choice between doing this or playing imports using that "swap trick" that Da_Linksta mentioned, I think this is probably the safer option.
Tue 09/07/02 at 11:57
Regular
"Well hit on me..."
I personally think that the X-box makes a great paperweight
Tue 09/07/02 at 12:03
Regular
"Conversation Killer"
he heh, the great topics from Natbuc just keep on coming.
Well done Natbuc.
Tue 09/07/02 at 13:05
Regular
"  "
Heh thanks Mandatare.
Tue 09/07/02 at 13:49
Regular
"Fangxforthemammarie"
We have a very strange puppy here..................
Tue 09/07/02 at 14:38
Regular
"  "
Black or Purple?
Tue 09/07/02 at 19:09
Regular
good post. GAD contender :-)
Tue 09/07/02 at 19:39
Regular
KR wrote:
> good post. GAD contender :-)

Of course. Nath keeps coming out with these great topics. I have written about videogame violence in the FOG (chat) forum and I personally put a lot of effort into it.

But nath has done a great job in SR. keep it up!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.