GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Nintendo - Past, Present, Future"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 08/07/02 at 21:53
Regular
The main reason for this post is so I can get some other opinions and see if anyone agrees with my thoughts on Nintendo's progress over it's time. I've always been a Nintendo fan and have owned almost every console from the NES to the Gamecube, so I've been following them for a good while and can safely draw some reasonable conclusions.

The past comment I'm making is that I really can't see why Nintendo stayed true to the age old cartridge format. Originality and innovation (the reasons why I see Nintendo as the best games company out there) is one thing, but pure common sense is another. More third party developers would be able to make games for the N64 if they had chosen the CD format, and considering it's technical dominance over competing consoles at the time, it would have certainly attracted the best games companies and the more customers. This would have left sony and sega in a trail of glorious smoke but no, the N64 did average.

And so, we come to the present - The Nintendo Gamecube. Even though it was the last to enter the fight, it's already up to second place, hot on the heels of the Playstation 2. Nintendo have made up for not switching to CD, by going one step further and using 8cm diameter discs, the easiest to produce and just as effective. This means that a swarm of third party developers will be flocking to Nintendo as logic tells us more formats = more money and as it's easy to develop for, so why shouldn't they? This will mean much more variety and games for all ages, making the thought of buying a Gamecube a very appetising thought. And with the promise of demo discs from major magazines and by far the lowest price (£134.99), it won't be soon until the Gamecube is level with the PS2. And personally, I don't think it will be that long after that, until it overtakes it.

The future then. With a potentially brilliant console (Gamecube) and a series of other excellent ones, the only handheld consoles around (GBA, etc) and the best games in the world, what have Nintendo decided to do? Stop making consoles. As ex-president of Nintendo stated - "I feel like a chef cooking for a king who's full" - it seems to be another Sega-esque exit from the console wars in light of the fact that people are screaming out for multi-purpose entertainment machines. In my opinion, I was devastated when I heard this. Technology will always be progressing and the king will always be digesting and.. well... why can't Nintendo keep up with it? Okay, so they don't want to put DVD or CD features on their machines, fair play, but I don't care, and I don't think millions of other Nintendo fans will do too. Nothing's set in stone yet, but I hope it'll be thought through, unlike that cartridge system.

So.. anyone think the same as me? Or perhaps you'd like to yell at me 'till the cows come home about how wrong I am?Either way, I'm glad I managed to get that out of my system, and some heartful feedback would be nice. At the end of the day though, I'd like to see Nintendo battling it out in the console wars, and if the pull out - they still make exceedingly good games.
Mon 08/07/02 at 21:53
Regular
The main reason for this post is so I can get some other opinions and see if anyone agrees with my thoughts on Nintendo's progress over it's time. I've always been a Nintendo fan and have owned almost every console from the NES to the Gamecube, so I've been following them for a good while and can safely draw some reasonable conclusions.

The past comment I'm making is that I really can't see why Nintendo stayed true to the age old cartridge format. Originality and innovation (the reasons why I see Nintendo as the best games company out there) is one thing, but pure common sense is another. More third party developers would be able to make games for the N64 if they had chosen the CD format, and considering it's technical dominance over competing consoles at the time, it would have certainly attracted the best games companies and the more customers. This would have left sony and sega in a trail of glorious smoke but no, the N64 did average.

And so, we come to the present - The Nintendo Gamecube. Even though it was the last to enter the fight, it's already up to second place, hot on the heels of the Playstation 2. Nintendo have made up for not switching to CD, by going one step further and using 8cm diameter discs, the easiest to produce and just as effective. This means that a swarm of third party developers will be flocking to Nintendo as logic tells us more formats = more money and as it's easy to develop for, so why shouldn't they? This will mean much more variety and games for all ages, making the thought of buying a Gamecube a very appetising thought. And with the promise of demo discs from major magazines and by far the lowest price (£134.99), it won't be soon until the Gamecube is level with the PS2. And personally, I don't think it will be that long after that, until it overtakes it.

The future then. With a potentially brilliant console (Gamecube) and a series of other excellent ones, the only handheld consoles around (GBA, etc) and the best games in the world, what have Nintendo decided to do? Stop making consoles. As ex-president of Nintendo stated - "I feel like a chef cooking for a king who's full" - it seems to be another Sega-esque exit from the console wars in light of the fact that people are screaming out for multi-purpose entertainment machines. In my opinion, I was devastated when I heard this. Technology will always be progressing and the king will always be digesting and.. well... why can't Nintendo keep up with it? Okay, so they don't want to put DVD or CD features on their machines, fair play, but I don't care, and I don't think millions of other Nintendo fans will do too. Nothing's set in stone yet, but I hope it'll be thought through, unlike that cartridge system.

So.. anyone think the same as me? Or perhaps you'd like to yell at me 'till the cows come home about how wrong I am?Either way, I'm glad I managed to get that out of my system, and some heartful feedback would be nice. At the end of the day though, I'd like to see Nintendo battling it out in the console wars, and if the pull out - they still make exceedingly good games.
Tue 09/07/02 at 10:46
Not bad for a former Trading Card company.
Wed 10/07/02 at 21:56
Regular
Yeah. It's good to see how companies such as Nintendo and Microsoft starting out small and coming really far and making it big.
Wed 10/07/02 at 21:58
Regular
"aka 'SLIM'"
Yep i agree, but then I suppose most companies start out like that though
Thu 11/07/02 at 00:07
Regular
"gsybe you!"
SolidSnakeXXI wrote:
> Yeah. It's good to see how companies such as Nintendo and Microsoft
> starting out small and coming really far and making it big.

A) Microsoft. Good? NEVER!
B) Business is a real evil world. My dad works for a local paper, and has a story. A bloke invented some software that was really effective and useful, and IBM stole it, claimed they invented it, and have swaped the poor man in lawyers he can't afford to fight. Bas*ards.
Thu 11/07/02 at 17:47
Regular
Seriously? That's dirty. On the point of Microsoft, it's odd how the best and richest company in the world isn't good, isn't it?
Sat 13/07/02 at 10:41
Regular
"Brrrrr."
Nintendo ROCK!
Sat 13/07/02 at 10:43
Regular
"Brrrrr."
blahpro wrote:
> Nintendo ROCK!

*ROCKS
Sat 13/07/02 at 12:48
Regular
blahpro wrote:
> blahpro wrote:
> Nintendo ROCK!
>
> *ROCKS

You're not wrong - and they're probably the best games company out there. But you've got to admit, they've made some mistakes.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.