GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I'd buy that for a dollar"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 08/07/02 at 19:31
Regular
You know the scenario,

You are watching your favourite tv programme, and the adverts come on. Nice one you think, time to get a refreshing can of fosters. You answer the call of nature, come back, get your beer from the fridge, and return hurriedly to the lounge, only to find the adverts still on. These days you are lucky if you've any of your drink left by the time your programme comes back on. An episode of the simpsons on BBC2 is twenty minutes long. An episode of the simpsons on sky one is thirty minutes long. Thats ten minutes of your life wasted with annoying, unfunny, blatantly poorly designed GARBAGE.

I mean have you seen half of the rubbish we are forced to endure these days?

"Now I walk down the street and people stop me to ask about my hair" (?!)

Are we REALLY that gullable?

I used to have lots of respect for actors like Ed Harris and Samuel L Jackson, but they obviously have no dignity, appearing in cheesy ads with new age abstract 'arty' dialogue about banks and cars. Whats next? Sean Connery selling Just for Men?

I'm sorry but these 'advertisements' are just irritating, moreover as they often repeat them in the SAME ad break. Occasionally we have a piece of advertising gold, with superb effects or GENUINELY funny jokes, but these are becoming rarer by the day.

Also, advertising 'gurus' are using any methods at their disposal. Now I have to put up with some woman telling me she is 'all bloated and sluggish', or have to sit through an entire minute of people kissing babies bottoms (how does this sell nappies?). I don't want to see this, any more than I want to see increasingly graphical feminine hygiene trailers. We even have toilet paper ads with grizzly bears relieving themselves behind trees.

The last straw is that every channel (all 900 or so on sky) have their ad breaks at exactly the same time, so as to ensure that you are climbing the walls by the time your programme comes back on.

I've had my rant, and I enjoyed it....

By the way, i am not some victor meldrew type old gipper, I am just sick of chilling out on a sunday night with my housemates and a couple of frosty ones, while having my tv viewing interupted by absolute grade A bull plop

Thank you
Mon 08/07/02 at 19:31
Regular
You know the scenario,

You are watching your favourite tv programme, and the adverts come on. Nice one you think, time to get a refreshing can of fosters. You answer the call of nature, come back, get your beer from the fridge, and return hurriedly to the lounge, only to find the adverts still on. These days you are lucky if you've any of your drink left by the time your programme comes back on. An episode of the simpsons on BBC2 is twenty minutes long. An episode of the simpsons on sky one is thirty minutes long. Thats ten minutes of your life wasted with annoying, unfunny, blatantly poorly designed GARBAGE.

I mean have you seen half of the rubbish we are forced to endure these days?

"Now I walk down the street and people stop me to ask about my hair" (?!)

Are we REALLY that gullable?

I used to have lots of respect for actors like Ed Harris and Samuel L Jackson, but they obviously have no dignity, appearing in cheesy ads with new age abstract 'arty' dialogue about banks and cars. Whats next? Sean Connery selling Just for Men?

I'm sorry but these 'advertisements' are just irritating, moreover as they often repeat them in the SAME ad break. Occasionally we have a piece of advertising gold, with superb effects or GENUINELY funny jokes, but these are becoming rarer by the day.

Also, advertising 'gurus' are using any methods at their disposal. Now I have to put up with some woman telling me she is 'all bloated and sluggish', or have to sit through an entire minute of people kissing babies bottoms (how does this sell nappies?). I don't want to see this, any more than I want to see increasingly graphical feminine hygiene trailers. We even have toilet paper ads with grizzly bears relieving themselves behind trees.

The last straw is that every channel (all 900 or so on sky) have their ad breaks at exactly the same time, so as to ensure that you are climbing the walls by the time your programme comes back on.

I've had my rant, and I enjoyed it....

By the way, i am not some victor meldrew type old gipper, I am just sick of chilling out on a sunday night with my housemates and a couple of frosty ones, while having my tv viewing interupted by absolute grade A bull plop

Thank you
Mon 08/07/02 at 19:34
Regular
Everyone hates adverts, but the fact that you've remembered those adverts means they have succeeded.
Mon 08/07/02 at 19:47
Regular
"Vote For Pedro"
I think Samuel L Jackson does a good job in his adverts. I think the shoe one is the best one. But anyways, I will let you get back to your topic now...
Tue 09/07/02 at 10:44
"Darth Vader 3442321"
I hate adverts (increasing by the day) in which men are portrayed as complete idiots* (sorry but we did figure out how to "make" electricity and invented TV in the first place) and phone adverts.

They are particularly poor as they are selling a service rather than a product:

use your phone more! Now! It's great, talk, spend money, talk I said!

Or, if you have a rubbish mobile phone we all hate you.

Those car ads are also very crass. They try to tell you that buying a certain car is a lifestyle choice. So we have someone chilling out in a flat listening to music (that's dull- no it isn't- goons) contrasted with some idiots (boyz and galz who are great buds) driving around in a cr*pmobile "having fun". I also hate the car ad where the family are singing "ground control to Major Tom", how utterly terrible this is.

In fact to save on words: I hate all ads unequivicably.

* Any man appearing in an advert like this is betraying his gender and they should be banned from every pub, club and football ground in the country for life.
Tue 09/07/02 at 10:49
Regular
"gsybe you!"
That ad with I think Ed Harris in - the new 'piece of thinking' car ad. Whats so new? its 'intelligent driving system'? WTF?!

ITs only a car - it gets you from A to B. Does its job. Fine by me. But blaring out that its so revoloutionary? Crap!
Tue 09/07/02 at 11:24
Regular
"A man with a stick"
RM18 wrote:
> Everyone hates adverts, but the fact that you've remembered those
> Adverts means they have succeeded.

I thought the job of adverts was to sell a product, I can't say I've bought something solely because I've seen it on TV. I don't know, maybe some people are easily seduced into buying things because they saw it on TV, but I never have.

I hate adverts, they are one of the most annoying things on TV these days, that and big brother. There are really cheap looking ads which try to funny, but fail miserably, ads which try and have some kind of message in them by getting people to talk surrealist tosh to get consumers to buy the crap their selling, and ads which are quite funny and make me laugh, but get shown so many times that the humour is quickly drained out, and they become another annoyance.

The trouble is we have no real choice whether ads are shown on TV, it's one of those things we have to put with, and that is perhaps the main reason I hate them.

Anyway, worst ad ever, those sodding Doritos adverts. Drive me up the wall every time I see them, annoying, not in the least bit funny and put me off buying the crisps their selling.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.