GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"A Great Whatif...."

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 08/07/02 at 17:26
Regular
I've been thinking recently, what if the N64 was a CD based console like the Playstation? Would the console have Flopped if it was CD based would the main developers have turn tail and developed for the PS1 or would they have stuck with Nintendo? Would the PS1 be as sucessful as it was?
In my opinion if the N64 was CD based it would have knocked both the Sega Saturn and the Playstation out of the water completely, as the console was quite considerably more powerful than it's rivals and would have offered a better format for developers to make games on. Developers such as Square amongst others would have developed a lot more games for NIntendo than Sony and Sega, perhaps we would have seen FF7-9 on the N64 rather than Square breaking their long running ties with Nintendo for the more developer friendly PS1.
If the N64 were CD based I feel the whole face of the gaming industry would be totally different, Sony wouldn't be able to sell huge amounts of PS2s through just the brand name, Nintendo would be enjoying that luxury.
I'm not one of these totally fanatic Nintys, this is something I've just been thinking about for months but I've only now come to putting it down somewhere. I'd like to here your thoughts about this, whether you agree with me or not, simply put what you think about this subject.

P.S. I'm sorry in advance if this is an unoriginal topic, feel free to take the P if it is.
Mon 08/07/02 at 17:26
I've been thinking recently, what if the N64 was a CD based console like the Playstation? Would the console have Flopped if it was CD based would the main developers have turn tail and developed for the PS1 or would they have stuck with Nintendo? Would the PS1 be as sucessful as it was?
In my opinion if the N64 was CD based it would have knocked both the Sega Saturn and the Playstation out of the water completely, as the console was quite considerably more powerful than it's rivals and would have offered a better format for developers to make games on. Developers such as Square amongst others would have developed a lot more games for NIntendo than Sony and Sega, perhaps we would have seen FF7-9 on the N64 rather than Square breaking their long running ties with Nintendo for the more developer friendly PS1.
If the N64 were CD based I feel the whole face of the gaming industry would be totally different, Sony wouldn't be able to sell huge amounts of PS2s through just the brand name, Nintendo would be enjoying that luxury.
I'm not one of these totally fanatic Nintys, this is something I've just been thinking about for months but I've only now come to putting it down somewhere. I'd like to here your thoughts about this, whether you agree with me or not, simply put what you think about this subject.

P.S. I'm sorry in advance if this is an unoriginal topic, feel free to take the P if it is.
Mon 08/07/02 at 17:34
Regular
"Grammatical Watchdo"
The playstaion was created when Ninty wanted a CD drive for the snes. Ninty then cancelled it but sony decided to turn it into the Playstion (also known as the Gaystation). The N64 would have been more popular if it had discs because they are faster to develop for and there-for there would have been more games making it more popular. The main reson the n64 didn't do as well as it should of is because it was difficult to develop for. Ninty have avoided this with the gamecube which could well make it the most popular console. (Eventually)
Mon 08/07/02 at 17:38
I know that the Playstation was supposed to be a CD add on for the SNES, it was going to be created to rival Sega's 32x, but due to problems with Sony an dother electronics companies the project was cancelled.
But whatif the N64 had been CD based is what I'm asking.
Mon 08/07/02 at 17:43
Regular
"Grammatical Watchdo"
As I allready said "The N64 would have been more popular if it had discs because they are faster to develop for and there-for there would have been more games making it more popular"

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.