GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Your home could earn you millions"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 08/07/02 at 14:48
Regular
Video games are nothing like they used to be in the old days. God I'm starting to sound like my old man. Anyway when I say that I mean some of the story lines are very perculiar. Ages ago when the Snes was released we had games like Mickey mouse and Mario and Sonic going through a 2D level saving someone really important. Now we have haunted mansions, museums and back gardens. Now I look at these and do you know what I see? Places we go to nearly every day are now being made into games and we can do it too. Now you can see why I called this topic "Your home could earn you millions." Luigi's Mansion, Resident Evil and many more have and probably will be huge successes, so why not it be you or me that gets the credit. I will now be showing you why a home can be made into a game. You could be rich within days thanks to this easy guide.

Firstly who here is a grumpy git and has no imagination at all, because if so there's no point in reading. You need imagination. It is the most important thing of all. (Sky goes black and thunder strikes upon the Earth) Now we've gotten that sorted out we can move onto the more fun stuff. Ha ha. Firstly you have to know your house really well, because if you've just moved in then you will end up making a game on something you have no idea about. Anyway note the size and any odd stuff too. Basements and gardens add a nice touch as you don't end up in the same old rooms.

After decide what type of game you want it to be. It could be a third person shooter like Resident Evil. A platformer, puzzle or even a racing. If you perfer one more than the other then do that. Let's just choose platformer for now as an example.

Now choose the little things like age and characters. We will have 15+ and a hard, cool teenager called Cobra. Next choose a storyline that goes well with your home. You can have a haunted mansion which is very very original or a puzzle house where you must solve a puzzle to continue. We will choose a house with rooms to be unlocked one by one to access levels. Kind of like Mario 64. The storyline will be that Cobra has been sentenced to stay inside this mansion after being falsely accused of murdering his best friend. It is not till later that he discovers the magic behind this mansion and he must now solve many puzzles and gain enough magic orbs to get out of this place. Good huh? Anyway the game will consist of 25 levels each with 10 hidden orbs inside. To access a level you must gain entrance to a room by having the right amount of orbs. There are also puzzles inside the mansion too, like how to get into the level.

So lets go over this again then. To create a game about your house you need:
1. An imagination
2. A house although I'm not sure if it's very important
3. A character or characters
4. Reasonable certificate
5. A good knowledge of your home
6. Genre
7. Storyline
8. Little details of your own
9. The possibilities are endless
10. The possibilities are endless
11. Don't make me say it again

Now can you see how your own home is a goldmine for ideas. Whether you live in a block of flats or a normal house there is many ways of making it into a game. Just use your imagination and have fun. I hope you have enjoyed reading this topic as much as I enjoyed writing it.

Oh yeah and if you become rich because of this, feel free to give me some money too. Please. And also thanks for reading.
Mon 08/07/02 at 14:48
Regular
"Ghosts Can't Die!"
Video games are nothing like they used to be in the old days. God I'm starting to sound like my old man. Anyway when I say that I mean some of the story lines are very perculiar. Ages ago when the Snes was released we had games like Mickey mouse and Mario and Sonic going through a 2D level saving someone really important. Now we have haunted mansions, museums and back gardens. Now I look at these and do you know what I see? Places we go to nearly every day are now being made into games and we can do it too. Now you can see why I called this topic "Your home could earn you millions." Luigi's Mansion, Resident Evil and many more have and probably will be huge successes, so why not it be you or me that gets the credit. I will now be showing you why a home can be made into a game. You could be rich within days thanks to this easy guide.

Firstly who here is a grumpy git and has no imagination at all, because if so there's no point in reading. You need imagination. It is the most important thing of all. (Sky goes black and thunder strikes upon the Earth) Now we've gotten that sorted out we can move onto the more fun stuff. Ha ha. Firstly you have to know your house really well, because if you've just moved in then you will end up making a game on something you have no idea about. Anyway note the size and any odd stuff too. Basements and gardens add a nice touch as you don't end up in the same old rooms.

After decide what type of game you want it to be. It could be a third person shooter like Resident Evil. A platformer, puzzle or even a racing. If you perfer one more than the other then do that. Let's just choose platformer for now as an example.

Now choose the little things like age and characters. We will have 15+ and a hard, cool teenager called Cobra. Next choose a storyline that goes well with your home. You can have a haunted mansion which is very very original or a puzzle house where you must solve a puzzle to continue. We will choose a house with rooms to be unlocked one by one to access levels. Kind of like Mario 64. The storyline will be that Cobra has been sentenced to stay inside this mansion after being falsely accused of murdering his best friend. It is not till later that he discovers the magic behind this mansion and he must now solve many puzzles and gain enough magic orbs to get out of this place. Good huh? Anyway the game will consist of 25 levels each with 10 hidden orbs inside. To access a level you must gain entrance to a room by having the right amount of orbs. There are also puzzles inside the mansion too, like how to get into the level.

So lets go over this again then. To create a game about your house you need:
1. An imagination
2. A house although I'm not sure if it's very important
3. A character or characters
4. Reasonable certificate
5. A good knowledge of your home
6. Genre
7. Storyline
8. Little details of your own
9. The possibilities are endless
10. The possibilities are endless
11. Don't make me say it again

Now can you see how your own home is a goldmine for ideas. Whether you live in a block of flats or a normal house there is many ways of making it into a game. Just use your imagination and have fun. I hope you have enjoyed reading this topic as much as I enjoyed writing it.

Oh yeah and if you become rich because of this, feel free to give me some money too. Please. And also thanks for reading.
Tue 09/07/02 at 09:58
Regular
"I Control All Pikmi"
Nice post bro. And Luigi's Mansion is great.
Tue 09/07/02 at 14:56
Regular
"Ghosts Can't Die!"
Thanks Luigius. That's the only post I've gotten. By the way how come you never attempt a gameaday.
Wed 10/07/02 at 09:51
Regular
"Ghosts Can't Die!"
Good morning everyone. Does anyone know any other games to do with houses and mansions?
Wed 10/07/02 at 10:39
"Stupid Newbie :D"
Maniac Mansion? Day of the Tentacle? Casper? Ghost House? Castlevania? Master of Darkness?

I dunno, can't seem to think of any games bar Resident Evil and Luigi's Mansion, must be something original and brand new. :p

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.