GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"BREAKING NEWS- SONY CUTS CHRISTMAS PAL PLAYSTATION 2 SHIPMENT BY 17% AND WITHDRAWS ALL OUTSTANDING PRE-ORDER FORMS"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 08/11/00 at 18:16
Regular
Guys,
You wont like this if you pre-ordered late, but I knew I had to tell you. Heres an article from computerandvideogames.com:

Sony to withdraw pre-order forms, cut PS2 supply
In line with events leading up to the US launch of PlayStation 2, Sony has cut the allocation of machines to the UK. Details inside

Sony has confirmed that it will now receive only 165,000 PlayStation 2 units by Christmas instead of the originally anticipated 200,000. All outstanding pre-order forms for the machine are now to be withdrawn to "avoid disappointment" for punters holding forms expecting their consoles before Christmas. Forms are to be withdrawn as of next Friday. Sony is refusing now to guarantee all gamers will receive their PlayStation 2 before the Holiday period.
"What this scheme's always been about is to manage expectation of people who want the machine. We put out forms in line with the amount of console we expected to get," David Wilson, head of UK PR for SCEE told CVG. "We have now been told by Japan exactly what we will receive, and there is a small shortfall from 200,000 to around 165,000.

"It's really important to keep this in perspective. The US had a 50 percent cut in expectation; ours is 17 percent. If you rationalise it that way, we're doing very well, thankyou very much.

"We don't really like to talk about competitors, but Dreamcast sold 37,000 units in the first week, so let's not lose sight of the fact that moving 165,000 machines before Christmas is still a phenomenal achievement.

"Of course we're disappointed, as our object is to put out as many machines as possible in the shortest space of time.

"We don't like to use the word 'guarantee', but our forecasts in terms of production and the like are that we're on track to get everyone that is holding a PlayStation 2 pre-order form at the moment a machine by Christmas."

The news is likely to incite frustration among an already irritated UK retail industry, but all the signs are that if you actually have a pre-order form, you will get your PlayStation 2 before Christmas. Here's hoping, anyway…
Wed 08/11/00 at 18:16
Guys,
You wont like this if you pre-ordered late, but I knew I had to tell you. Heres an article from computerandvideogames.com:

Sony to withdraw pre-order forms, cut PS2 supply
In line with events leading up to the US launch of PlayStation 2, Sony has cut the allocation of machines to the UK. Details inside

Sony has confirmed that it will now receive only 165,000 PlayStation 2 units by Christmas instead of the originally anticipated 200,000. All outstanding pre-order forms for the machine are now to be withdrawn to "avoid disappointment" for punters holding forms expecting their consoles before Christmas. Forms are to be withdrawn as of next Friday. Sony is refusing now to guarantee all gamers will receive their PlayStation 2 before the Holiday period.
"What this scheme's always been about is to manage expectation of people who want the machine. We put out forms in line with the amount of console we expected to get," David Wilson, head of UK PR for SCEE told CVG. "We have now been told by Japan exactly what we will receive, and there is a small shortfall from 200,000 to around 165,000.

"It's really important to keep this in perspective. The US had a 50 percent cut in expectation; ours is 17 percent. If you rationalise it that way, we're doing very well, thankyou very much.

"We don't really like to talk about competitors, but Dreamcast sold 37,000 units in the first week, so let's not lose sight of the fact that moving 165,000 machines before Christmas is still a phenomenal achievement.

"Of course we're disappointed, as our object is to put out as many machines as possible in the shortest space of time.

"We don't like to use the word 'guarantee', but our forecasts in terms of production and the like are that we're on track to get everyone that is holding a PlayStation 2 pre-order form at the moment a machine by Christmas."

The news is likely to incite frustration among an already irritated UK retail industry, but all the signs are that if you actually have a pre-order form, you will get your PlayStation 2 before Christmas. Here's hoping, anyway…
Wed 08/11/00 at 18:22
Regular
"I like cheese"
Wed 08/11/00 at 18:53
i'm starting to get bored with sony's delays then cut downs on consoles, i'm not fed up with playstation as a console, it is gonna be great, there's no stopping that.
I know were still getting the majority of PS2s in Europe but sony have gotta realise people that arnt dedicated to sony are gonna think ''well i just want a games console, i dont care which company as long as i enjoy it.'' end up getting bored of this messing around and go fo a different console. it would have been better if sony had said at the begginig they would have 150,000 consoles for the UK launch which is a more esay target and if they had more tell people b4 the 24th. well good luck then on gettin the console on the 24th we'll propbably need it.
Wed 08/11/00 at 21:52
Regular
I suppose this is news we also expected after the US launch and is probably better than expected. The fact that 165,000 machines are expected before christmas with all that currently have preorder forms expected to have a machine before Christmas.

However the question i would like answering is how many are expected on launch date.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.