GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Computer characters have feelings too."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 07/07/02 at 13:53
Regular
Sympathy you all know what it means. Well you feel it for people BUT do you feel it for game characters? What I mean is, when your blowing a Nazi's head off on Medal of Honour do you feel it? Or even when you run down a policeman on GTA3 do you feel it? Your objective maybe to kill the ‘Boss’ but when you’ve beaten him and he’s dead or injured helplessly on the floor what do you feel then?

As much as people may like killing people, blowing them up ect… do they have the courage to see a real dead body? I bet they don’t. Yes it’s very different from a virtual image of a person to a real living breathing person but I think you should still feel sympathy. Do you see the TV screen as a bunch of pixels put together or do you feel more emotional and drawn in by the gaming experience?

I know that softhearted people are really taken in by it. All the girls give a classic “Awwww poor baby” when Meemee takes a bad turn and falls off in monkey ball. But in this case I can’t stop laughing and do it again. Did I just say I play video games with girls? Cool! But I do feel something for the enemies suffering and whimpering on the field when you hit them with some mustard gas. Well I shouldn’t be playing 18 rated games I guess.

So what goes through your mind when you cut a cave mans head off with that disk thing in turok or you kill the medics in red faction? If not that you kill cops for fun and snipe out old ladies walking home with their shopping in GTA3 (De Ja Vu). Do you feel sympathy and commiserate? Feel evil and continue torturing? Get annoyed by the square faces and turn off your PS1? Feel proud and ponder what else you could do? Whatever you are thinking of there is a little evil and pity in all of us.

And if you are like Snuggly and stay up all night decapitating guards for stoopid dog tags then why do you do it? Well yeah, it’s fun, duhhhh, but why is it fun to kill people? Do you feel a little sympathy or guilt when the guards make those fish noises while struggling for life? Do you enjoy it? Do you feel that you have to do it but don’t want to? Or are you narrow-minded and don’t notice them?

With all the next-gen consoles and constantly improving gaming how far will gaming go in the future? Will it become so realistic that we won’t want to play these games? Well that’s a bit too far but will we feel a lot more sympathy to the people in games? Will they be such good imitations that we will start feeling less for real people? Violence and video gaming is already being linked together these days! The future is full of questions (like this post :P) and we will just how to wait and see how attitude towards gaming changes everyday life.

Personally, I can imagine cut scenes in games like Metal Gear Solid becoming even more like movies. Often, people can leave movies feeling really strange, that tingle at the back of your neck. Games characters could easily begin to gain as much sympathy as the movie star.

However, this is something games developers need to think about. If someone is upset or confused by a cut scene, could this effect their concentration for the game? Nobody wants to be thinking about a previous encounter with the bad guy, while they’re fighting the next character. In movies, there is time for sympathy, but in games there just doesn’t seem like there can be. Maybe in the cut scenes for a short time, but it would be important for it not to have a lasting impression on you.

But most importantly, what do *you* think? Would sympathy for games characters effect how you view them? If you did have sympathy for those little old women in GTA3, could you still kill them and complete the game? Do you think we have time for sympathy in games?

Cheers
- BS (never won gad)
Sun 28/07/02 at 21:24
hey MCH is lying that you copyed this post cos he sent me it on msn and told me that big_slow asked for help on it and if i can help him change it and he wanted me to help him report the post after it won GAD.
Fri 12/07/02 at 08:51
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Well done Big Slow on the win!

I don't believe that post was copied, and it was actually a very interesting read.

Well worth the GAD!

Congrats.
Wed 10/07/02 at 08:18
Yay! He finally won GAD! Well done...I think...
Tue 09/07/02 at 20:19
Regular
About the conflict:

I thought it was a great post, and as there isn't any rock hard evidence to say you copied it, congratulations on the post! As you said, innocent until proven guilty.

About the post:

I found it a good article to read, and though I mainly get a shoot 'em up out at the end of a hard days work to unwind in front of a few dying people, it was interesting to have a new perspective. It also inspired me about other points. Perhaps your next GAD attempt should be are games getting to real? and when should we draw the line? - better snap that one up before I use it. Good post, well done.
Tue 09/07/02 at 19:33
Monkey_With_Attitude wrote:
> big_slow wrote:
> Cheers
> - BS (never won gad)
>
>
> I suspect to see many other people trying that one now in the future
> ;-D

I wrote it because it was my TAG, some people got the wronf end of the stick. But i wonder why i wrote that in my tag........ ;-D
Tue 09/07/02 at 18:32
Regular
"Hmmm....."
Well done BS!

:)
Tue 09/07/02 at 17:47
"Uzi Lover"
big_slow wrote:
> Cheers
> - BS (never won gad)

I suspect to see many other people trying that one now in the future ;-D
Mon 08/07/02 at 23:40
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
Oh.
Right.
I'll.
Pick.
Them.
Up.
Now.

Ungrateful
Begger. :op
Mon 08/07/02 at 22:15
In.
The.
Post.
Like.
I.
Said.
Mon 08/07/02 at 21:55
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
Where.
Are.
My.
Donuts? :(

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.