GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"(Game) Devil May Cry 4 Xbox 360"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Devil May Cry 4'.
Tue 15/04/08 at 22:08
Regular
"I like turtles"
Firstly,I feel I have to mention that this is one of the best looking console games around at the moment,it really is very pretty indeed!.For anyone who has never played a Devil May Cry game (like me,before this one)it is a pretty mixed bag.I will attempt to describe it as an adventure,shoot em/hack em up incorporating gravity defying action game,riddled with puzzles and insane end of level bosses (think I've just about covered everything!).

The puzzles vary in difficulty from being pretty obvious to virtually impossible to figure out.This does start to annoy when you have been stuck on the same level for a few nights before having to succumb to 'googling' for 'how the hell do I get out of this forest'!.Not only that when you find the answer it is like......WHAT ?!?!?.This isn't the only flaw,the advertised Xbox live content is that you can check where your mates are on the game and have your own scoreboard !!!,seriously,thats it !!!.A real con,especially as a massive online multiplayer deathmatch on some of these levels using your mental demonic powers would have been a right blast!.A missed opportunity for sure.Another gripe is the difficulty curve,it ranges from reasonably easy to damn near impossible in places.One end of level boss in particular is harder than Vinnie Jones's bodyguard!,While the next four I beat at my first attempt ?.Also half way through the game you change characters from Nero to Dante (who I believe is from the previous DMC games).This frustated me as I had mastered Nero's moves and powers and for a while kept trying to revert back to them,It took me a while to adjust.However,the biggest letdown for me was when you reach this part of the game (where characters change) you merely play the first half of the game in reverse (with harder challenges).There are no extra levels to play after this point.I was disappointed with that,and I did feel short changed for a £30 game to be honest.

Despite my seemingly endless whinging about it,I actually quite liked DMC 4.It was fun (for the most part),challenging and as my mate bought it at the same time we were able to 'race' each other through it on our online scoreboard!.For the record,he finished it 3 weeks before I did !!!.I am led to believe the game runs virtually identical on the PS3 but there is a 20 minute wait to install the games levels to the PS3's hard drive.Strange,as the load times on the 360 version didn't seem excessive ?.

DMC 4 is a game I would recommend,but with reservation.It is a love it or hate it experience for sure.It has,however virtually no replay value once you've completed it.You could do it all again on the harder level or try to beat your stage times,but to be honest why would you bother ?.I have seen this available reasonably cheaply on a few websites but I would expect most people will trade it in or sell it once completed.

Fun,But flawed 7/10
Thu 17/04/08 at 22:01
Regular
"bit of a brain"
mate i have that problem every sunday
Thu 17/04/08 at 16:21
Regular
"I like turtles"
Chaos wrote:
> Heh, you think DMC4 is hard? Just try going a little more
> retro in the games.
>
> Some previous Devil May Cry bosses have had me in fits of rage,
> broken controllers everywhere!
>
> I found hurling the wireless pad at my tv in a dummy spitting moment of uncontrollable rage doesn't kill the angel boss at the end of level 8 !.

The camera angles on this game didn't help at times either.It was very frustrating looking at the ceiling of a church while some demon was eating my face !.
Thu 17/04/08 at 10:34
Regular
"Mooching around"
Heh, you think DMC4 is hard? Just try going a little more retro in the games.

Some previous Devil May Cry bosses have had me in fits of rage, broken controllers everywhere!

For hardest puzzles though, the title still stays with God of War for me.
Wed 16/04/08 at 21:18
Regular
"bit of a brain"
mine is :(
Wed 16/04/08 at 21:17
Regular
"I like turtles"
gerrid wrote:
> is your spacebar broken?

N o , i t s f i n e ! ! ! ! ! .
Wed 16/04/08 at 20:23
Regular
"bit of a brain"
is your spacebar broken?
Tue 15/04/08 at 22:08
Regular
"I like turtles"
Firstly,I feel I have to mention that this is one of the best looking console games around at the moment,it really is very pretty indeed!.For anyone who has never played a Devil May Cry game (like me,before this one)it is a pretty mixed bag.I will attempt to describe it as an adventure,shoot em/hack em up incorporating gravity defying action game,riddled with puzzles and insane end of level bosses (think I've just about covered everything!).

The puzzles vary in difficulty from being pretty obvious to virtually impossible to figure out.This does start to annoy when you have been stuck on the same level for a few nights before having to succumb to 'googling' for 'how the hell do I get out of this forest'!.Not only that when you find the answer it is like......WHAT ?!?!?.This isn't the only flaw,the advertised Xbox live content is that you can check where your mates are on the game and have your own scoreboard !!!,seriously,thats it !!!.A real con,especially as a massive online multiplayer deathmatch on some of these levels using your mental demonic powers would have been a right blast!.A missed opportunity for sure.Another gripe is the difficulty curve,it ranges from reasonably easy to damn near impossible in places.One end of level boss in particular is harder than Vinnie Jones's bodyguard!,While the next four I beat at my first attempt ?.Also half way through the game you change characters from Nero to Dante (who I believe is from the previous DMC games).This frustated me as I had mastered Nero's moves and powers and for a while kept trying to revert back to them,It took me a while to adjust.However,the biggest letdown for me was when you reach this part of the game (where characters change) you merely play the first half of the game in reverse (with harder challenges).There are no extra levels to play after this point.I was disappointed with that,and I did feel short changed for a £30 game to be honest.

Despite my seemingly endless whinging about it,I actually quite liked DMC 4.It was fun (for the most part),challenging and as my mate bought it at the same time we were able to 'race' each other through it on our online scoreboard!.For the record,he finished it 3 weeks before I did !!!.I am led to believe the game runs virtually identical on the PS3 but there is a 20 minute wait to install the games levels to the PS3's hard drive.Strange,as the load times on the 360 version didn't seem excessive ?.

DMC 4 is a game I would recommend,but with reservation.It is a love it or hate it experience for sure.It has,however virtually no replay value once you've completed it.You could do it all again on the harder level or try to beat your stage times,but to be honest why would you bother ?.I have seen this available reasonably cheaply on a few websites but I would expect most people will trade it in or sell it once completed.

Fun,But flawed 7/10

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.