GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Violence in videogames."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 06/07/02 at 22:17
Regular
“For every violent videogame there is a violent impulse in children.” This is the poor excuse child psychologist’s use when a child commits a (sometimes fatal) violent act.
My point is that people, be it toddlers, teenagers or old-aged pensioners, all have minds of there own, with which they can decide to do good or evil.

Videogames are mixtures of polygons and textures, bound together to provide entertainment for the player in a virtual world.

They are designed for fun not to provoke violence in people. If silly little teenagers want to go out and kill someone they will have thought up the idea themselves, they will be the ones physically doing it and they should be the ones to get blamed for their actions, not videogames or their developers.

Need I remind everyone that videogames have age certificates on them as well, so if under-age children get hold of games that include unsuitable material, then it is their parent’s fault. Game developers and publishers should not be blamed and games should not be banned, because the box of the videogame will state the content of the game and the age group it is suited for.

Thanks for reading MCH
Sun 07/07/02 at 15:12
"Stupid Newbie :D"
Ronaldinho_da_2nd wrote:
> Well, just like the person before me. I also feel a little 'fierce'
> after playing games like GTA3 for hours.

Hmmm, guess I'm the only one who walks away from a GTA3 spree feeling indifferent and relaxed then?

Wonder if that means I'll be involved in the execution of some massacre somewhere or other in the not so distant future... you know what? I find myself somehow doubting that. ;)

...unless Bill Gates wants to give me a very large axe and paint the word "TARGET" on his forehead. ;)
Sun 07/07/02 at 13:19
Regular
"im addicted to u"
yea i agree theres probley only a few people in the world that are mental skitos that games get in there head and makes them go on a killing spree. and most skitos dont have time to play on a computer game because there ither in a mental home or ploting a evel plan to take over the world.
Sat 06/07/02 at 23:51
"~do i look funny?~"
Well, just like the person before me. I also feel a little 'fierce' after playing games like GTA3 for hours.

Like when I first got it, I played it for a whole 7 HOURS and pi$$ed myself everytime I hit knocked someone down, snipered someones head off, battered someone to death with the baseball bat.

But I am only 14 years old! I am not allowed to play these. I will grow up to be a twisted skitzo who takes great pleasure in blowing someone 7 feet backwards with a shotgun before running over them continuosly in their own car (which I stole).

BO**OCKS! I know right from wrong. Think I'm gonna run down my city centre with a rocket launcher sitting on my shoulder, blowing up anyone who disses me?

I rest my case.
Sat 06/07/02 at 22:35
I must admit that after playing Soldier of Fortune 2 I do become a bit more aggresive and pumped full of adrenaline, but people have to remember it's only a game, and that nobody gets hurt, and the people that have gone on shooting spree's (Germany and USA), the people who did it were psycho's without games anyway.
Sat 06/07/02 at 22:34
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Well, we've been over this, and I think anyone who understands games- ie everyone in there forums- knows they don't cause violence. Before the Playstation age it was violent TV programs that were blamed on violence, and before that it was films.

But the fact is that violence has been a part of society since well before the video game. Anyone who blames violence on games is just deluding themselves- if someone wants to do a violent act they will regardless of what games they play. Sure, the game may trigger some kind of response, but if games didn't exist the same response would be triggered by violent films, books or TV programs. It's the people who have the problem- not the games!
Sat 06/07/02 at 22:17
"`·.¸¸.·´´¯`··._.·`·"
“For every violent videogame there is a violent impulse in children.” This is the poor excuse child psychologist’s use when a child commits a (sometimes fatal) violent act.
My point is that people, be it toddlers, teenagers or old-aged pensioners, all have minds of there own, with which they can decide to do good or evil.

Videogames are mixtures of polygons and textures, bound together to provide entertainment for the player in a virtual world.

They are designed for fun not to provoke violence in people. If silly little teenagers want to go out and kill someone they will have thought up the idea themselves, they will be the ones physically doing it and they should be the ones to get blamed for their actions, not videogames or their developers.

Need I remind everyone that videogames have age certificates on them as well, so if under-age children get hold of games that include unsuitable material, then it is their parent’s fault. Game developers and publishers should not be blamed and games should not be banned, because the box of the videogame will state the content of the game and the age group it is suited for.

Thanks for reading MCH

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.