GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"More Bull for "Bully" "

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Bully'.
Tue 15/04/08 at 10:36
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
Just reading through Take A Break (yes...sad... I'm addicted) and came across an article in the "Mum's Army section". It goes back to the beginning of March but here is what it has to say on the issue:

CLAMPING DOWN ON VIRTUAL VIOLENCE
"A video game that glorifies bullying will be released later this month. The game called "Bully" features a schoolboy with a shaven head who terrorises other pupils and teachers to earn the player points. The more violent the behaviour, the more points he earns.

Anti-bullying campaigners and teaching unions say it should be banned but the producers of the game, Rocksat, has described it as a "Comedic romp".

However, it may not sem so funny when the Government publishes the results of a sixth month study into these kinds of games and their effects....

(goes into the study we all know and love...)

...Secretary of State for Children, Schools and Families, Ed Balls said: "We want kids to enjoy new media without their childhoods being harmed"

My first opinion on this is "what a complete load of Ed Balls". Have these people actually played the game? You aren't a bully, you're just a brash kid that wants peace in the school, with stereotypical cliques uniting and all being friends.

And a point system? I'm nearly 100% the game and I've seen no points system. You're even hindered by Prefects/Police everytime you even consider not even wearing your school uniform - let alone violence. The only violence it has compelled me to do is beat my fist on my bed because I'm only 0.32% from completing it fully, with no idea on how to progress any further.

The statement from our friend Ed is completely mis-judged. Children shouldn't play this game anyway. It's BBFC rated 15. So how will it mess with their childhoods? Although I am a gamer and will generally stick up for games, this one is so easy to stick up for and for once is EXACTLY what a game develeper says it is a "comedic romp". As it's rated its like saying "Ban Scarface a it teaches children how to smuggle drugs into Florida and shoot people". It's rated in the same way, but somehow people manage to turn a blind eye.

I don't have the heart to tell them that this game is a revamped version of Canis Canem Edit (available on the PS2), tweaked so that it can be played nicely on the Xbox 360 and the Nintendo Wii.

Well done media - Rockstar have managed to get a lot of free publicity from your witch-hunt of games that turn childen into violent freaks. Next time, if you only sit down and play the games in question, your original preconception will vary greatly on what you actually get. Now you will feel the disappointment many a gamer has when a hyped game fails to deliver to expectation.
Tue 15/04/08 at 15:44
Regular
"Monochromatic"
We've heard this all before. Arrogant people who dont know a damn thing about current culture thinking that their opinion matters because they're "grownups". I'm guessing they failed to mention that parents got a fair share of the blame in that report. Take-A-Break readers are like a less militant version of Daily Mail readers and their opinions should always be ignored, unless they're giving advice on how to bake a nice victoria sponge.
Tue 15/04/08 at 10:36
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
Just reading through Take A Break (yes...sad... I'm addicted) and came across an article in the "Mum's Army section". It goes back to the beginning of March but here is what it has to say on the issue:

CLAMPING DOWN ON VIRTUAL VIOLENCE
"A video game that glorifies bullying will be released later this month. The game called "Bully" features a schoolboy with a shaven head who terrorises other pupils and teachers to earn the player points. The more violent the behaviour, the more points he earns.

Anti-bullying campaigners and teaching unions say it should be banned but the producers of the game, Rocksat, has described it as a "Comedic romp".

However, it may not sem so funny when the Government publishes the results of a sixth month study into these kinds of games and their effects....

(goes into the study we all know and love...)

...Secretary of State for Children, Schools and Families, Ed Balls said: "We want kids to enjoy new media without their childhoods being harmed"

My first opinion on this is "what a complete load of Ed Balls". Have these people actually played the game? You aren't a bully, you're just a brash kid that wants peace in the school, with stereotypical cliques uniting and all being friends.

And a point system? I'm nearly 100% the game and I've seen no points system. You're even hindered by Prefects/Police everytime you even consider not even wearing your school uniform - let alone violence. The only violence it has compelled me to do is beat my fist on my bed because I'm only 0.32% from completing it fully, with no idea on how to progress any further.

The statement from our friend Ed is completely mis-judged. Children shouldn't play this game anyway. It's BBFC rated 15. So how will it mess with their childhoods? Although I am a gamer and will generally stick up for games, this one is so easy to stick up for and for once is EXACTLY what a game develeper says it is a "comedic romp". As it's rated its like saying "Ban Scarface a it teaches children how to smuggle drugs into Florida and shoot people". It's rated in the same way, but somehow people manage to turn a blind eye.

I don't have the heart to tell them that this game is a revamped version of Canis Canem Edit (available on the PS2), tweaked so that it can be played nicely on the Xbox 360 and the Nintendo Wii.

Well done media - Rockstar have managed to get a lot of free publicity from your witch-hunt of games that turn childen into violent freaks. Next time, if you only sit down and play the games in question, your original preconception will vary greatly on what you actually get. Now you will feel the disappointment many a gamer has when a hyped game fails to deliver to expectation.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.