GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Introductions"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 06/07/02 at 12:49
Regular
Screaming at the television screen, I’m making my run down the Death Star Trench. I’ve only got one missile left to disable the weapon that could bring about the end of the alliance, and my shields are low. “Come on! FASTER,” I shout as one of my wingmen tells me he’s taken too many hits. Out of the blue, Lord Vader’s TIE Fighter starts throwing truckloads of laser fire at me. “I HAVE TO HOLD ON.” I know that any time Han Solo will come running in and take care of Vader for me. “I NEED TO HOLD ON.” R2 screams as I take another hit. “COME ON!” I’m seconds away from victory. Sure enough, Solo comes along and gets rid of Vader. All I need to do is line up and fire my missile. Aim, take a deep breath, fire.

“YOU T**T!” A melee of swearing follows as I realise that I’ve completely missed my target. I throw my controller across the room in rage as my only missile carriers across the sky into oblivion. The screen of death appears, and I need a pee.

My point? This was not the climax of an endearing, tiring game. Nor was it a bonus level to be unlocked by torturous replaying of levels. Instead this was the very first level of what could have been just another film cash-in. How many developers out there would have saved the Death Star Run for the last level of the game, and instead started with a stupidly easy mission to get you used to the controls? My bet: A lot.

It’s interesting to note that in almost every other entertainment form, the beginning of a piece of work is the bit that’s used to grab your attention. Films start with huge action scenes, pop songs begin with an instantly memorable tune and new television series always have some king of high-intensity moment at the outset.

So why is it that games all too often use the first mission- the player’s introduction to the game- as a boring, dull, easy training mission that gets you accustomed to the controls? Sure it can lead to you learning more and more controls throughout the game with the ultimate intention that, by the last few levels, you can implement all the techniques available, but far better would be to throw you in at the deep end. It may take a few times just to get past that initial level, but after that every single mission can be just as challenging, and the developers can assume that you already know all about manipulating your character/vehicle.

Better still, it gets you hooked on the game. If the exhilaration of completing the very first level is something to be amazed by, imagine what the rest of the game is like.

There’s the old saying that, “first impressions count”. Too many developers take this to mean, “enter the game with an epic cut-scene,” and then go on to give you a training level to begin the game with. But it is this level where you should forge the relationship with the character you play as. By making the first level tough the player feels emotions ranging from disappointment to elation that makes him feel as though he were in place of the character he’s controlling.

First impressions really do count- but it’s not just the first cut-scene.

Sonic

(In case you wonder how I managed to write two prime topics in two minutes, I wrote this one yesterday but have been unable to post due to the server problems. It's the old case of man against machine. RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE!)
Tue 09/07/02 at 21:21
Regular
After the wild descriptions I'd been given by every single source (from magazines to people who'd played it), I'd been promised to be in the middle of a huge battle!

That's why when I actually played it it seemed so lame.

I know it has to start relatively easy so the user can get to grips with the controls but they could've atleast made it look a bit more frantic by having a larger scale Tie Fighter battle.

Perhaps they could've rigged it so that while you weren't in danger, there were other alliance ships that were getting attacked so that it atleast LOOKED like you were in danger and that it was frantic rather than simply target practice.
Tue 09/07/02 at 18:48
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
The last proper level (death star tunnel) was a disapointment, but it's more than made up for by the battle of endor. And anyway, after that there are more than enough secret missions to keep you busy!

As for the first mission being disappointing, are you mad? Try and name games that have more impressive, challenging and tense first levels!
Sun 07/07/02 at 23:09
Regular
The secret Yavin mission is different.
It's Darth Vader getting a revenge which is neat, but not as good as an advanced Death Star battle (which is called the Battle of Yavin in Starwars Terminology).

The first level was lame compared to:

a)How the magazines described it
b)The actual battle in the film

Naturally, it needed to be lame for newbies to get into it, but a more advanced version too, doing the battle true justice, would've been nice.

Still, Rogue Leader's great seeing as they "rushed" it in 8 small months (that includes the concept and design and everything).

Most games of that quality take atleast a year to produce.
Sun 07/07/02 at 01:27
Regular
"Nasty Fat Hobbit!"
Perhaps Battle ON Yavin would have been more to the truth than OF.
Sun 07/07/02 at 01:26
Regular
"Nasty Fat Hobbit!"
Strafex wrote:

>
> Still, I persevered and found that the later levels got a lot better.
> The fantastic Battle of Endor more than made up for initial
> disappointment.
>
> It would've been nice to have had a proper Yavin battle though,
> perhaps as a secret mission...

I can't agree with your opinion on the First level. I thought it was pretty slick.
But, there IS a PROPER Battle of Yavin Level "and" as a secret mission too!!!
Sat 06/07/02 at 23:25
Regular
Very good point.

Then again, the first level of Rogue Leader was a really anti climax for me. The death star battle in the film was huge and the magazines, internet sites (and PB too) had promised me that I'd dive straight into the deep end of a frantic battle.

When I finally played it, what did I get?

Firstly, just 3 X-wings going round shooting some stationary towers.
No enemy ships. Some ground guns but they were all for show and didn't even make you feel threatened.

Blow up the towers and Tie come in.
No epic battle though. Again, just 3 X-wings against some harmless fighters that were just there to be shot.

The final trench was better, but still didn't quite give the same amount of tension that the film gave.

Maybe I'm the only one who was disappointed.
But I was, and it almost put me off the game altogether.

Still, I persevered and found that the later levels got a lot better. The fantastic Battle of Endor more than made up for initial disappointment.

It would've been nice to have had a proper Yavin battle though, perhaps as a secret mission...
Sat 06/07/02 at 20:44
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
MGS2 did what it did because it was trying to be like a film too much. Even the casing for the game, inscribed with the words "Directed By Hideo Kojima" was just another filmesque detail being lifted.

In a film, book or story the first scene or chapter deals with an introduction the characters and their quest. This is what games should be doind with the beginning cut scene- just setting the scene. Much of the game, like what the characters are actually like (in detail), should be left to the player to make up in his own head. (see the toic on Escapism). Like I said in the aforementioned topic, it is that ability to chose what you believe your character is like that allows you to form a bond with the character that you play as.

In MGS2 they tried to define the characters too much- nothing is left to the imagination. To make matters worse, there was the B-rate "twist" where all the characters turn out to be bad guys! Better would have been just to give a brief intro scene about the tanker, miss out most of the dialogue with Rose, and then hint at your friends' sinister intentions. For example, when the General tells Raiden to give up, instead of Raiden saying "I've never met you- you're a fake" leave it up to the player to make that determination... something that's far more rewarding, even though it's so simple!

Sonic
Sat 06/07/02 at 19:20
Regular
"Wasting away"
As you say, a first impression is important, but perhaps it's not the only thing that matters about a game. You can find yourself suprised about how a game turns out to be, especially if you're left in total darkness about the game. Take MGS2, everyone knew MGS was the daddy, everyone loves it, everyone knew about it, and everyone wanted MGS2. So, when it came out, a lot was expected from it, and as you've said in your previous topic, they went a bit barmy on the video sequences. This made the game unique and rememberable, but was it for the wrong reasons? Perhaps so.

The first intro takes you into the game you're going to be playing, for hopefully many hours to come, and you don't want it to be some stick men running around hitting each other, but you also don't want a tonne of video sequences hogging your precious gaming time. So, what to do?
Sat 06/07/02 at 12:49
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Screaming at the television screen, I’m making my run down the Death Star Trench. I’ve only got one missile left to disable the weapon that could bring about the end of the alliance, and my shields are low. “Come on! FASTER,” I shout as one of my wingmen tells me he’s taken too many hits. Out of the blue, Lord Vader’s TIE Fighter starts throwing truckloads of laser fire at me. “I HAVE TO HOLD ON.” I know that any time Han Solo will come running in and take care of Vader for me. “I NEED TO HOLD ON.” R2 screams as I take another hit. “COME ON!” I’m seconds away from victory. Sure enough, Solo comes along and gets rid of Vader. All I need to do is line up and fire my missile. Aim, take a deep breath, fire.

“YOU T**T!” A melee of swearing follows as I realise that I’ve completely missed my target. I throw my controller across the room in rage as my only missile carriers across the sky into oblivion. The screen of death appears, and I need a pee.

My point? This was not the climax of an endearing, tiring game. Nor was it a bonus level to be unlocked by torturous replaying of levels. Instead this was the very first level of what could have been just another film cash-in. How many developers out there would have saved the Death Star Run for the last level of the game, and instead started with a stupidly easy mission to get you used to the controls? My bet: A lot.

It’s interesting to note that in almost every other entertainment form, the beginning of a piece of work is the bit that’s used to grab your attention. Films start with huge action scenes, pop songs begin with an instantly memorable tune and new television series always have some king of high-intensity moment at the outset.

So why is it that games all too often use the first mission- the player’s introduction to the game- as a boring, dull, easy training mission that gets you accustomed to the controls? Sure it can lead to you learning more and more controls throughout the game with the ultimate intention that, by the last few levels, you can implement all the techniques available, but far better would be to throw you in at the deep end. It may take a few times just to get past that initial level, but after that every single mission can be just as challenging, and the developers can assume that you already know all about manipulating your character/vehicle.

Better still, it gets you hooked on the game. If the exhilaration of completing the very first level is something to be amazed by, imagine what the rest of the game is like.

There’s the old saying that, “first impressions count”. Too many developers take this to mean, “enter the game with an epic cut-scene,” and then go on to give you a training level to begin the game with. But it is this level where you should forge the relationship with the character you play as. By making the first level tough the player feels emotions ranging from disappointment to elation that makes him feel as though he were in place of the character he’s controlling.

First impressions really do count- but it’s not just the first cut-scene.

Sonic

(In case you wonder how I managed to write two prime topics in two minutes, I wrote this one yesterday but have been unable to post due to the server problems. It's the old case of man against machine. RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE!)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.