GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Everything you ever wanted to know about Mankind (but were afraid to ask)"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 04/07/02 at 14:58
Regular
As I stated earlier this week in FOG (chat), the other day, I had an epiphany. I was just walking along on the way to the train station from work, mulling stupid thoughts around my head as usual. You know the sort of thing, I'm sure. Imagining I was inside Championship Manager, Managing Cardiff, with the amazing team I've build, carving my way to the title glory we so richly deserved. Imagining what I would do if I won the lottery over the weekend. That sort of stuff.

I don't know how it happened, all I did was look to my left, where there is a small patch of trees, greenery and a small stream, and then looked to my right, where there was a bustling road and houses. Suddenly a burst of thoughts passed through my head like a bolt of lightning, and for a brief moment, I looked at all of humankind in a light I haven't seen it in before. I won't pretend that it was any kind of religious experience. Quite the opposite. What I was left thinking leaves us further away from God than I've ever considered us to be.

The experience left me almost breathless. Indeed my step faltered, and a chill ran up my spine.

I can't explain the thought processes, and can only really touch on the many conclusions I reached in such a small space of time. But I'll try now and explain what it is I felt, what I experienced.

==========================================================

"Human beings are a disease, the cancer of this planet"
-Agent Smith, The Matrix

It's hard to know where to begin really. Humanity, society, all of it is quite complicated. What we consider ourselves to be, what we dictate we are capable of, how we decide to enforce it, how we choose to live. The number of decisions that power mankind is truly immense.

Everyone makes decisions, every one of over 6 billion human beings worldwide. These decisions are based on environments, but these environments are essentially influenced by other humans making their own decisions. Thinking on a large enough scale, you can consider mankind to be a collective being, thinking on a grand scale. Everyone's decisions and actions eventually effect everyone else's environments, and hence, their decisions.

To this extent at least, human beings can be said to be a hive species. We group together in large number, creating a "nest" of sorts, divide up the labour force to perform specific job roles, elect rulers to control our options etc.

Now, I'm going to make an assumption. When I say that, I mean that I'm going to go on and make points in reference to, and making use of my assumption. If you disagree with what is said later in this post purely because of the assumption that is made, please don't argue it. Argue based on what I put forward as my arguments.

The assumption I'm going to make is that evolution theory is true. Species evolve over time due to selective breeding or whatever, to adapt to their environments.

From an evolutionary perspective, humans are not only the most highly evolved species on the planet (in terms of societal structure and organisation), but we are also quite clearly on the top of the food chain. The latter as it happens, has led to the former. BY hunting not only for food, but for our competitiors, we have moved up the food ladder, and by eating rich meats regularly, we have enhanced our brain power to the point where we are today. All well and good. Mankind has benefitted from hunting.

It has to be said though, that mankinds success isn't owed only to it's intelligence, and hunting skills alone. What has made humans so successful, is an incredible case of ingrained paranoia. It's no secret that people are generally insecure. Afraid of world around them, and always looking to protect themselves from it. That makes sense. By protecting ourselves, we live longer. Mankind benefits from paranoia.

But paranoia is very dangerous. Anything can be seen as a threat, if looked at in the right light. Dogs that bite people who hit them, fish that eat humans, trees too close to your home. No-one particularly wants these things around them, because they don't fit with the desire to protect yourself. But we can't just move the things that threaten us away. They might come back! Better to have them destroyed.

That's pretty much the gist of the history of mankind. If it stands in your way - or it could conceivably do so - then get rid of it. Little more remains to stand in the way of humanity, except our own technological ignorance. We own this planet, and everything on it. Something we have declared to the natural world with a vengeance.

There's nothing left to fear, but yet we still destroy. We tear down forests, pollute rivers, hunt endangered species to the brink of extinction and beyond. Why do we do this? It's quite simple. Before we destroyed because we had something to be afraid of, now we destroy because there MIGHT be something left to be afraid of. We might be afraid of running out of resources, running out of room, running out of time. The powerful urge of paranoia that kept us alive is still within us. Still driving us.

One of our most distructive paranoid urges is the way we mark our territory. We twist it, shape it, cover it up with terrain we make ourselves until it's completely unrecognisable, and certainly not natural. Because of our paranoia, we tend to stick as closely to this territory as we can. Stick to the towns, the cities, the roads. Stay where you are safe.

In a way, the manner in which humans lay down their territory reminds me of StarCraft, of the Zerg. The Zerg lay down the "creep" before they will lay down any other buildings. It is the infrastructure of their societal manifestation, just as roads and railways and bridges are ours.

Towns, villages, cities appear around the world all the time. New settlements, tailor made cities, the lot. Existing settlements grow, naturally, all the time. It is concievable that one day the entire planet may be completely consumed by the creep, comparable perhaps to Star Wars' Coruscant. Slowly, year by year, we continue to take up more of the surface of the planet with the creep, due to our paranoia, our fear of being away from our protection. Concievably, the only way to be safe at all is to be able to be safe everywhere. The way mankind is moving, this is an eventual goal.

More than that, it is an eventual inevitability.

The problem with mankind is we have it easy. No natural predators combined with easy access to food means that we will always grow in number. To account for the paranoia of an ever increasing number of people means that eventually we will need all the room this planet has to give. However, this is where mankind dies very quickly. With all available space used up just to accomodate the paranoid masses, our easy access to food quickly dries up. Soon after so will anything we can leach from the oceans. So we turn on ourselves for food or we die hungry.

This is of course discounting the possibility of colonising other planets, but that's beside the point. We're destroying this planet to make sure there is nothing left to be afraid of, and once we're done, we will either destroy ourselves, or finad another planet to destroy to keep our paranoia in check.

That sort of puts down the foundation for thinking I guess, but only scratches the surface of my vision. I'll stop here, since this post is quite long, and I don't want it to become unreadable. I'll continue this sometime after people have had a chance to mull this over (so far nothing new I would expect), and I've had more time to extract meaning from my own conclusions.

But I hope you see the trend, I hope you understand that we as a race have to put away our fear if we are to survive in the long term. Society has to change, and drastically.

IB
Fri 05/07/02 at 11:05
Regular
"Bored, Bored, Bored"
The main reason I suggested that our physical form was less likely to change was because Humans actively modify their environment to suit there physical needs - not the other way around. Our comparatively rapid increase in intelligence has outdone the need for any Lamarkian physical change to be required by humans, unless the change is for better desk posture or something...

I do agree that a change must be made, I just feel that the change will be determined by our potential as a species, which I think is immense. We are a part of that change in thinking. No more than one hundred years ago, only the most astute and learned members of society would even contemplate what we are now discussing. How many similar discussions are going on via the net right now??

I'll keep an eye out for more next week IB, I should be about.
Fri 05/07/02 at 10:42
"Darkness, always"
Thegerrid wrote:
> surely this is due to people wanting nicer places to live, to have an
> easier existance. People move to cities to find new oppurtunity, not
> because they are paranoid. Paranoia is not something that you can
> apply to everything. In a way, you could say that every animal on the
> planet is paranoid, paranoid about dying, or having their children
> die.

think about it. why do you want nicer things? Why do you want opportunity? Why do you want? It's all about security. Security we don't even need. Why would you want security when you don't need it? "just in case" "this might happen" "i have to be sure". Sounding paranoid yet? It is hard to explain, but the only word that fits is paranoia, from where I'm looking.

And it may be true that every creature on this earth is paranoid to some extent, but how many species have caused as much violent destruction to put fears to rest as mankind? It's the combination of fear, and the capcacity to attack fear head on in numbers that has made humans so destructive.

> You say that populations are increasing (well, you imply it) and
> although this is true of most developing countries, more
> technologically advanced countries (such as Norway) have a falling
> population. This perhaps what will happen when all countries reach
> this stage, the population wil fall, and the balance of nature will
> perhaps return.

There are a couple of countries that have this anomoly, where the population is declining slowly. Italy being another I could mention. However, the majority of developed countries (including USA and UK) are increasing in population steadilly - this includes the most advanced countries in the world. The countries with the anomolous declining population are exactly that: anomolies.

Over time mankind will invent something or other which will give people in these countires added security for their offspring, and this will quickly shift the birth rates involved.
Fri 05/07/02 at 10:29
"Darkness, always"
Hooplah wrote:
> I find it unlikely that we will change all
> that much physically, although I wouldn't rule it out completely.

I disagree. There is plenty of evidence that we are still evolving physically. The redundant appendix organ, the next toi useless wisdom teeth, body hair... All these things suggest we are still changing.

> Never has the saying 'Can't
> see the wood for the trees' been more applicable than here.

Human society isn't as complex as it may at first appear. Families, friends, associates, contacts - the essential reason we attain and retain these is for "mutual benefit". The use of others to ease fears, pressure and responsibility from oneself.

> We are at a stage in evolution, whether we progress or disappear is
> not easily divined. It is fairly clear that our intelligence will
> either take us through the barrier, or destroy us. Where we go from
> here is to some extent predetermined. I don't mean fate. More an
> understanding that as a species we will have limits on how far we can
> go. Are we smart enough not to blow ourselves to bits? I like to think
> so.

I believe mankind is at a crossroads. We can either go on as we are, and simply entrust our own abilities to come out with some discovery that can save both the planet and everything on it, whilst also satisfying our unquenchable desire to expand our territory - or we can restructure our society, move it away from needing more for comfort, wanting for the sake of self-indulgence, and instead understand that for the forseeable future, we're stuck on this planet, and the more we abuse it, the shorter the life span of the human race will be.

I don't want to sound like a tree hugger, certainly that isn't my intention. The future of mankind is much more sinister than "healing the world". If you look at the human race from a big enough picture, there is a distinct streak of what I can only describe as "evil" in us, both historically and in present day. Most depressingly, it seems that despite our great intelligence, we lack the basic capacity to change if it isn't in our interests.

Nice post Hooplah. I'll try to expand on this subject a little after the weekend, I'd like your feedback again then if you're around.

IB
Thu 04/07/02 at 18:16
Regular
"bit of a brain"
"Towns, villages, cities appear around the world all the time. New settlements, tailor made cities, the lot. Existing settlements grow, naturally, all the time. It is concievable that one day the entire planet may be completely consumed by the creep, comparable perhaps to Star Wars' Coruscant. Slowly, year by year, we continue to take up more of the surface of the planet with the creep, due to our paranoia, our fear of being away from our protection. Concievably, the only way to be safe at all is to be able to be safe everywhere. The way mankind is moving, this is an eventual goal"

surely this is due to people wanting nicer places to live, to have an easier existance. People move to cities to find new oppurtunity, not because they are paranoid. Paranoia is not something that you can apply to everything. In a way, you could say that every animal on the planet is paranoid, paranoid about dying, or having their children die.
Paranoia is a much more specific emotion, and it applies to extreme cases. people who want to live in safer places could be said toy be doing it because they are paranoid, but this would perhaps be too general.

You say that populations are increasing (well, you imply it) and although this is true of most developing countries, more technologically advanced countries (such as Norway) have a falling population. This perhaps what will happen when all countries reach this stage, the population wil fall, and the balance of nature will perhaps return.

*i haven't had time to check this post
Thu 04/07/02 at 17:54
Regular
"Bored, Bored, Bored"
Interesting post there IB.

I have to say that I have a similar outlook for the human race, at least in the trends that it appears to be following. I do however, have differing ideas as to the way that we are, and more importantly, the way that we will or might be heading.

I to make my hypothesis with the assumption that Evolution as a theory is more or less correct. As you have stated, the Human is 'King of this Castle', we are only challenged by ourselves at this point in time. It is extremely important that we do not loose sight of the fact that we, as a species are a long way from what could be described as the 'Peak of Evolution'. If this is the case, then it follows that, evolution - natural selection is still running it's course. Just because we are smarter than the average bear, it does not mean that we are no longer bound to the laws that governed our creation as a species. I would point out that I am referring (unless indicated) to the evolving of our minds. I find it unlikely that we will change all that much physically, although I wouldn't rule it out completely.

We pride ourselves on the wonders that intelligence has brought us, and at this point at least, it cannot lead us beyond the laws that govern our transition from caveman to modern man. Our sprawling civilisation is nothing more than the result of our evolution as a species, and as we evolve it will grow ever larger.

The mention of a 'Hive Mentality' is an easy comparison to make, and understandably so. Like the insect colonies, humans as a race group together for the common good (whatever that means...) so that the race continues to move forward. Insect colonies are not made up of family units and individual thinking however, the structure of human society is incredibly complex. Understanding it is hard, mainly because a certain amount of detachment is required. 90% of the people I know can't even see somebody else's point of view, let alone make insightful observations on human society. Never has the saying 'Can't see the wood for the trees' been more applicable than here.

I do not believe that this 'sprawling out' will signal the end of humanity. We are incredibly resourceful creatures, and as we progress through the ages and continue to evolve we will overcome these challenges, or nature will select us to fail as a species. The crux of this argument can be applied to the rest of the universe, like this:

We have assumed that Evolution, as a theory is correct. That makes it correct for everybody/everything in the universe. Smart things don't just 'exist', that smacks of divine intervention. It follows that, to reach a level of intelligence of what most people like to believe aliens are at (more than us), you must evolve to that level. It can therefore be said that what we are doing has been done before, by other species on their journey through evolution. The larger the population, the more chance of 'The' discovery or 'The' invention or 'The' theory being made that leads us further down the road of enlightenment.

We are at a stage in evolution, whether we progress or disappear is not easily divined. It is fairly clear that our intelligence will either take us through the barrier, or destroy us. Where we go from here is to some extent predetermined. I don't mean fate. More an understanding that as a species we will have limits on how far we can go. Are we smart enough not to blow ourselves to bits? I like to think so.
Thu 04/07/02 at 15:45
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Insane Bartender wrote:
> hey, I did say "selective breeding or whatever". I have a
> disclaimer right there!!!

Yeah i noticed it, but i felt like sticking my nose in.
Thu 04/07/02 at 15:40
"Darkness, always"
hey, I did say "selective breeding or whatever". I have a disclaimer right there!!!
Thu 04/07/02 at 15:39
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Insane Bartender wrote:
> The point with selective breeding is that the most succesful of any
> species are more likely to mate, which is the same as natural
> selection. Same thing worded differently. Or maybe it's just me always
> betting the two confused....
>
> :P

Selective breeding and natural selection are totally different. Selective breeding being the action of man to create a generation of genotypically superior animals, and natural selection being the "survival of the fittest".
Thu 04/07/02 at 15:36
"Darkness, always"
The point with selective breeding is that the most succesful of any species are more likely to mate, which is the same as natural selection. Same thing worded differently. Or maybe it's just me always betting the two confused....

:P
Thu 04/07/02 at 15:33
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Excellent post with a number of interesting points. But i should point out that evolution occurred due to natural selection, not selective breeding.

Good post.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.