GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"No longer 'Just about the games'?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 02/07/02 at 15:48
Regular
What am I going on about is quite simple, my question to you is "is this industry all about games or becomming more and more to do with business?" Developers using clever ways to advertise, market and maximise profits, no more making sure games are the best they can be.
Well the way I see things is that the industry has always been a little bit of business, developers make games, probably because they enjoy it and are good at it but also to try and make as much money as possible. After all that is what every company is trying to do isn't it?

I myself have been playing games for a long long time and I have experienced the changes, going from being small developers with a few programmers creating games using only their programming skills and the help of a publisher, to a multi-million pound industry with huge developers with teams of near to a hundred+ developers, sound experts, actors, directors, story writers, large publishers and a lot more people.
The industry is a lot bigger these days and it is due to grow and grow, the changes that have happened since I started gaming to present day have been huge and if they continue along these ways then the industry will be worth billions soon, but will it still be all about games? At the moment it is and should continue to do so but sometimes games appear that make what I just said a bit harder to believe.

I have been asking myself a few questions about all this:

1. Do developers make certain games as they know they will sell?
2. Are the games we see released as good as the developers can make them?
3. Does advertising and marketing play a big part in the industry?
4. What does the future hold?

To be honest I think they do, we see dodgy, poorly created sequels that are there just for the developers to make an extra shinny penny. Little changes over the previous version, ripping us off to be honest. We wouldn't stand for it in other industries so why do we allow it to happen in this industry? There are certain games that will always sell, EA sports games are big sellers, Konami's MGS games and pro evo soccer games will sell as will many others. Some developer must be given the credit as they do try and offer a new gaming experience with most if not all the games they release but as most of you who are interested in the gaming industry will know, there are others who seem to take advantage of their status as being good developers to cash in and make a little extra. This will continue as long as we as gamers allow it, as long as we buy them or allow them to release shoddy sequels then some developers will release them.

Most of the time I would say that they are, competition these days is too high, developers battle it out with each other to try make the best games, usually because the best games make the most money. These days millions is spent on the development of some games, the development has become more like the development of a film with literaly hundreds of people working on the games development. But there is some times when I feel that a developer has rushed a game, either to fill a gap in the market and get money from it or because the developer has something else they feel will be better to develop. I think what we have to remember is that the industry would be nothing if us gamers didn't buy the games. So to make them realise that we only want high quality games we must first of all stop buying all the really pants ones.

These days without a doubt the answer is yes. In the past games sold themselves, you sometimes took a risk with what was written on the box as sometimes the game was never as good as it sounded. Part of the reason I think games in the past became such classics is that people didn't really know what to expect, these days games get hyped and we get told by magazines etc exactly what to expect months before a game is released. A good and a bad thing.

Advertising
I feel advertising these days is a big part of selling games, I see posters on walls as I go to uni everyday, adverts on television, in magazines and on the internet. Some would say advertising is the only way to sell it. If a game is good then it will sell its self but only people who know a bit about gaming will know when it is out etc. Advertising gets to those who buy games from time to time and to remind others that "this is a game you need to get". Advertising plays a big role in selling games these days, Sony showed us that the strange adverts get peoples attention, one thing is though, would they be as succesful if the adverts didn't exist?

Marketing
Also another big part of gaming, XBox was released with the phrase "most powerful console ever" ok so it is but does that matter as we all know it comes down to the games. Also it is worth pointing out that the xbox architecture is very different from most consoles so it is good in some areas but a litte worse in others.
Recently the xbox price dropped by £100, now everyone is going on about it is due to it not selling well, maybe it isn't but I myself think it is because of something totally different. Microsoft claim that they want to reward their customers, they are even giving those who paid full price two free games and a control pad to make up for the early price drop. This means that with every console they sell microsoft stand to lose around $150.

I think the price drop happened for one reason. They released the console at £300, because it is "the most powerful", people will fall for this advertising gimick and buy it on that one reason alone. Some will say it is too expensive and opt to wait for a GameCube or get a PS2. It is a few weeks before the GameCube release and Microsoft drop the price, co-incidence? I think not. Now people will see something hailed as "most powerful console" at an even more affordable price. Sure Nintys will buy a gamecube and Sony fans will get a PS2 but a lot of people will now get an Xbox even nintys and PS2 fans will get them. It will happen. Why? Because microsoft understand how to do business, you need to lose money before you make it. Being one of the biggest companies today I think they know how to handle the business side of things.

4. Its hard to think what the future will hold, we know consoles will get better and also games will improve. But will we be seeing re-makes and sequels all the time? Can developers take the risks in going with new ideas? Will they take risks or just go for the quick buck with a sequel?
It is these ideas that makes me think that maybe it is no longer all about the games, these clever marketing ideas can sell consoles, games, peripherals etc. Sure the quality of the product matters but these days I think some developers could sell really pants games by their clever business ideas and the way they know some people think.
I know it isn't all developers that are like this, some have the right idea and will live up to a reputation of being good at what they do, but I can't help think that we have seen enough of the likes of army men, tomb raider and poorly improved sequels.
As gamers we do deserve better with the amount publishers make from us all.
Tue 02/07/02 at 15:55
Regular
"Is'not Dave... sorr"
It's definately more about business now. Unfortunately, it's all about profit margins, and none of the big powers in the industry really care about providing the best quality games for any reason other than to sell well.

My view is, smaller games companies are more likely to make better quality games because for them it's not about money. It's about establishing themselves so they can go onto bigger and better things.

They have the drive, desire, and commitment to really make games worthwhile. For example, if I were to reach my career goal and got a job working with a small games developer, i'd push myself to my very limits to make the best artistically perfect game.

Unfortunately, the problem is these companies don't have the money to compete in the big market, and can only get funding from other large companies (EA, Konami, Sony, Nintendo, etc) which in-turn takes away their freedom as they are paid follow the guidelines of those companies.

It's survival of the fittest, and unfortunately without major financial backing (which leads to being constraint by the money-grabbing corporations) none of the smaller developers can make a big enough impact to stay in business for long.
Tue 02/07/02 at 15:48
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
What am I going on about is quite simple, my question to you is "is this industry all about games or becomming more and more to do with business?" Developers using clever ways to advertise, market and maximise profits, no more making sure games are the best they can be.
Well the way I see things is that the industry has always been a little bit of business, developers make games, probably because they enjoy it and are good at it but also to try and make as much money as possible. After all that is what every company is trying to do isn't it?

I myself have been playing games for a long long time and I have experienced the changes, going from being small developers with a few programmers creating games using only their programming skills and the help of a publisher, to a multi-million pound industry with huge developers with teams of near to a hundred+ developers, sound experts, actors, directors, story writers, large publishers and a lot more people.
The industry is a lot bigger these days and it is due to grow and grow, the changes that have happened since I started gaming to present day have been huge and if they continue along these ways then the industry will be worth billions soon, but will it still be all about games? At the moment it is and should continue to do so but sometimes games appear that make what I just said a bit harder to believe.

I have been asking myself a few questions about all this:

1. Do developers make certain games as they know they will sell?
2. Are the games we see released as good as the developers can make them?
3. Does advertising and marketing play a big part in the industry?
4. What does the future hold?

To be honest I think they do, we see dodgy, poorly created sequels that are there just for the developers to make an extra shinny penny. Little changes over the previous version, ripping us off to be honest. We wouldn't stand for it in other industries so why do we allow it to happen in this industry? There are certain games that will always sell, EA sports games are big sellers, Konami's MGS games and pro evo soccer games will sell as will many others. Some developer must be given the credit as they do try and offer a new gaming experience with most if not all the games they release but as most of you who are interested in the gaming industry will know, there are others who seem to take advantage of their status as being good developers to cash in and make a little extra. This will continue as long as we as gamers allow it, as long as we buy them or allow them to release shoddy sequels then some developers will release them.

Most of the time I would say that they are, competition these days is too high, developers battle it out with each other to try make the best games, usually because the best games make the most money. These days millions is spent on the development of some games, the development has become more like the development of a film with literaly hundreds of people working on the games development. But there is some times when I feel that a developer has rushed a game, either to fill a gap in the market and get money from it or because the developer has something else they feel will be better to develop. I think what we have to remember is that the industry would be nothing if us gamers didn't buy the games. So to make them realise that we only want high quality games we must first of all stop buying all the really pants ones.

These days without a doubt the answer is yes. In the past games sold themselves, you sometimes took a risk with what was written on the box as sometimes the game was never as good as it sounded. Part of the reason I think games in the past became such classics is that people didn't really know what to expect, these days games get hyped and we get told by magazines etc exactly what to expect months before a game is released. A good and a bad thing.

Advertising
I feel advertising these days is a big part of selling games, I see posters on walls as I go to uni everyday, adverts on television, in magazines and on the internet. Some would say advertising is the only way to sell it. If a game is good then it will sell its self but only people who know a bit about gaming will know when it is out etc. Advertising gets to those who buy games from time to time and to remind others that "this is a game you need to get". Advertising plays a big role in selling games these days, Sony showed us that the strange adverts get peoples attention, one thing is though, would they be as succesful if the adverts didn't exist?

Marketing
Also another big part of gaming, XBox was released with the phrase "most powerful console ever" ok so it is but does that matter as we all know it comes down to the games. Also it is worth pointing out that the xbox architecture is very different from most consoles so it is good in some areas but a litte worse in others.
Recently the xbox price dropped by £100, now everyone is going on about it is due to it not selling well, maybe it isn't but I myself think it is because of something totally different. Microsoft claim that they want to reward their customers, they are even giving those who paid full price two free games and a control pad to make up for the early price drop. This means that with every console they sell microsoft stand to lose around $150.

I think the price drop happened for one reason. They released the console at £300, because it is "the most powerful", people will fall for this advertising gimick and buy it on that one reason alone. Some will say it is too expensive and opt to wait for a GameCube or get a PS2. It is a few weeks before the GameCube release and Microsoft drop the price, co-incidence? I think not. Now people will see something hailed as "most powerful console" at an even more affordable price. Sure Nintys will buy a gamecube and Sony fans will get a PS2 but a lot of people will now get an Xbox even nintys and PS2 fans will get them. It will happen. Why? Because microsoft understand how to do business, you need to lose money before you make it. Being one of the biggest companies today I think they know how to handle the business side of things.

4. Its hard to think what the future will hold, we know consoles will get better and also games will improve. But will we be seeing re-makes and sequels all the time? Can developers take the risks in going with new ideas? Will they take risks or just go for the quick buck with a sequel?
It is these ideas that makes me think that maybe it is no longer all about the games, these clever marketing ideas can sell consoles, games, peripherals etc. Sure the quality of the product matters but these days I think some developers could sell really pants games by their clever business ideas and the way they know some people think.
I know it isn't all developers that are like this, some have the right idea and will live up to a reputation of being good at what they do, but I can't help think that we have seen enough of the likes of army men, tomb raider and poorly improved sequels.
As gamers we do deserve better with the amount publishers make from us all.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.