GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"It's all in the name"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 01/07/02 at 19:32
Regular
We all love games right? Well obviously you wouldnt be here and reading this if you didn't. Well anyway its great when a new game comes along thats totally different, or revolutionises that specific genre. It's good that great 'new' games come out but i hate it when a company uses the name of a game to sell cruddy sequals! When a game is good the producers are looking to capitlise on the success by producing a sequal to the game. This is all well and good if the game is to the standard of the first or perhaps even better. What annoys me is when the producers try and churn out a game just to use the name to sell it. Sometimes these sequals are made in no time and its obvious that time hasnt been spent on them.

A prime example of this is the Tomb Raider series. The first game in the series was magnificent. It was revolutionary and was truly a great game. The second wasnt bad either, it had different places to go, much better graphics and lots of new moves. By the time the third is released not much is changing in the game. Then there came a fourth and a fith, and soon there is to be a sixth! Previously the games were released about a year after each other. Now i dont know if only a year was spent on them, probably not, but it is plain to see that there wasnt a lot of effort being put in to improve it. You may say the game is so good and doesnt need to be improved but i believe that every game, no matter how great it is, can be improved.

There are examples of this everywhere. I'm not just talking about the lame sequals that come out. It also happens regardless of the quality of the game. Take the Grand Theft Auto series. They have all been great games and a lot of people have said that the third game in the series is one of the best games of all time. With this kind of advertisemnt under their belt Rockstar, the makers of the series, cannot fail when 'Grand theft Auto: Vice City' is released later this year. Everyone who has bought GTA3 will nearly certainly buy the new one' plus lots more people will by the next one just because of what people say about GTA3. People are going to buy the game without even thinking that it may be a 'flop' or a 'lame' game (not that it will be); the point is some people will purely buy it because its a Grand Theft Auto game. Other examples of this is when the new Gran Turismo game comes out later this month. Some people hate the series but others are 'die hard' fans. The fans of the series will by the new game just because its a Gran Turismo game. I heard one person on the forums say that he will buy it just because he has GT1, GT2 and GT3. This is what i'm getting at, people who buy games because they think it cant be bad because its got a good name.

As you can see its a great asset to have if the name of your game is well known and well liked amound gamers. You could say that they deserve all the money they get from the games if its a good series. Others may take another view that people are being tricked into buying the game on false pretence. Anyway i hope good sequals keep being produced but i warn you, one day you may 'come a cropper' when you think a game 'with a name like this' could never be bad.

Thanks for reading,

Mr. Chainsaw
Mon 01/07/02 at 19:32
We all love games right? Well obviously you wouldnt be here and reading this if you didn't. Well anyway its great when a new game comes along thats totally different, or revolutionises that specific genre. It's good that great 'new' games come out but i hate it when a company uses the name of a game to sell cruddy sequals! When a game is good the producers are looking to capitlise on the success by producing a sequal to the game. This is all well and good if the game is to the standard of the first or perhaps even better. What annoys me is when the producers try and churn out a game just to use the name to sell it. Sometimes these sequals are made in no time and its obvious that time hasnt been spent on them.

A prime example of this is the Tomb Raider series. The first game in the series was magnificent. It was revolutionary and was truly a great game. The second wasnt bad either, it had different places to go, much better graphics and lots of new moves. By the time the third is released not much is changing in the game. Then there came a fourth and a fith, and soon there is to be a sixth! Previously the games were released about a year after each other. Now i dont know if only a year was spent on them, probably not, but it is plain to see that there wasnt a lot of effort being put in to improve it. You may say the game is so good and doesnt need to be improved but i believe that every game, no matter how great it is, can be improved.

There are examples of this everywhere. I'm not just talking about the lame sequals that come out. It also happens regardless of the quality of the game. Take the Grand Theft Auto series. They have all been great games and a lot of people have said that the third game in the series is one of the best games of all time. With this kind of advertisemnt under their belt Rockstar, the makers of the series, cannot fail when 'Grand theft Auto: Vice City' is released later this year. Everyone who has bought GTA3 will nearly certainly buy the new one' plus lots more people will by the next one just because of what people say about GTA3. People are going to buy the game without even thinking that it may be a 'flop' or a 'lame' game (not that it will be); the point is some people will purely buy it because its a Grand Theft Auto game. Other examples of this is when the new Gran Turismo game comes out later this month. Some people hate the series but others are 'die hard' fans. The fans of the series will by the new game just because its a Gran Turismo game. I heard one person on the forums say that he will buy it just because he has GT1, GT2 and GT3. This is what i'm getting at, people who buy games because they think it cant be bad because its got a good name.

As you can see its a great asset to have if the name of your game is well known and well liked amound gamers. You could say that they deserve all the money they get from the games if its a good series. Others may take another view that people are being tricked into buying the game on false pretence. Anyway i hope good sequals keep being produced but i warn you, one day you may 'come a cropper' when you think a game 'with a name like this' could never be bad.

Thanks for reading,

Mr. Chainsaw
Mon 01/07/02 at 22:21
i am slightly guilty of this, asi bot gt3 without even reading a review, but it was really good as it is.

btw, the ps2 was hyped b4 ppl had tried it, but look how good tht turned out to be?

i think it just depends on your liking - if you like tomb raider and want more action, you probly should go for a new sequel. if you havnt tried a prequel then dont bother, you could be wasting 40 quid on a game you might not like
Tue 02/07/02 at 18:55
excellent. thanks SR
Tue 02/07/02 at 19:32
Regular
A bit harsh...
Tue 02/07/02 at 19:44
dont worry, he goes to my school and has the mental age of a 3 year old. He is just jealous. He says he's won twice but he only did that by getting another user name (oh wait isnt that a bannable offence?)
Thu 04/07/02 at 18:50
Regular
"Bah"
Mr. Chainsaw wrote:
> dont worry, he goes to my school and has the mental age of a 3 year
> old. He is just jealous. He says he's won twice but he only did that
> by getting another user name (oh wait isnt that a bannable offence?)

Oh wait arent you a complete puss? I dont know what ure talkin about and dont get me started on your blaggin. I see you are jealous because ure not as cool as a 3 year old. loser.
Thu 04/07/02 at 18:54
Regular
"Bah"
hmm and also you should learn how to grow up and stop tittle tattling about rubbish - ive one thing to say - u r really pathetic
Thu 04/07/02 at 19:43
Regular
"  "
Hey Steve...whats Grapo ever done to you? Thats a bit harsh.
Thu 04/07/02 at 20:20
"~do i look funny?~"
tomb raider has certainly gone downhill but the new storyline and gameplay for Angel of Darkness has been worked on since the launch of PS2!
Fri 05/07/02 at 08:56
Steve foreman i dont care what you say because i won a game and you didnt so hahahahahahahahaha

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.