GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The gaming world vs the real world"

The "PC Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 30/06/02 at 23:24
Regular
With the advancement of technology, someday (maybe sooner than you think), there will be a game where you truly can do absolutely ANYTHING. The raw computing power required for this will be immense, but CPU speeds, memory capacities and storage space is increasing almost exponentially. Sure, there is a limit to how fast electrons can travel, but technology will find a way. How long until the computer world in front of you becomes seemingly more real than what is outside of your house? Films like the matrix I think are not so far from the truth. Not the benevolent machines ruling us, but the ability to actually 'plug' yourself in and live your weekends in a virtual world. To quote morpheus 'what if you were unable to tell the difference from the real world and the dream world' (or thereabouts). Will it happen? If so, how far away is it? And most importantly, is it a bad thing or a good thing? Could this have an adverse effect on the human brain, or would it improve hand eye coordination immeasurably. Are we embracing the digital age so much we can't see the consequences?

Hell I dunno, do you really care ? ;-) discuss.....
Sun 30/06/02 at 23:24
Regular
With the advancement of technology, someday (maybe sooner than you think), there will be a game where you truly can do absolutely ANYTHING. The raw computing power required for this will be immense, but CPU speeds, memory capacities and storage space is increasing almost exponentially. Sure, there is a limit to how fast electrons can travel, but technology will find a way. How long until the computer world in front of you becomes seemingly more real than what is outside of your house? Films like the matrix I think are not so far from the truth. Not the benevolent machines ruling us, but the ability to actually 'plug' yourself in and live your weekends in a virtual world. To quote morpheus 'what if you were unable to tell the difference from the real world and the dream world' (or thereabouts). Will it happen? If so, how far away is it? And most importantly, is it a bad thing or a good thing? Could this have an adverse effect on the human brain, or would it improve hand eye coordination immeasurably. Are we embracing the digital age so much we can't see the consequences?

Hell I dunno, do you really care ? ;-) discuss.....
Mon 01/07/02 at 11:17
I'm sure we have had posts like this before... but still it's always a good subject to think about.

Something I just thought was, to fool the human brain into thinking it is in a real world, rather than a virtual one, will we need to use computers that are AS powerfull, if not more so, than the human brain?
Mon 01/07/02 at 12:16
"Darkness, always"
you don't need processing power to fool the human brain, you just need the right mix of chemicals.
Mon 01/07/02 at 23:15
Regular
to extend the discussion, what would happen if you subjected a baby from birth to a computer generated simulation?

actually, this is getting a bit too much like the matrix. It's difficult to have a discussion like this anymore without being branded a cheesemeister for copying film plots.

Chemicals alter the brain anyway, making you 'think' something is happening when it isnt. Your brain is working fine when you play a game. Of course they are good fun none-the-less, where chemicals is obviously referring to the miracle that is fosters lager, perhaps a seperate topic though....
Tue 02/07/02 at 10:24
"Darkness, always"
Well, given that chemicals rule the way you think anyway, surely the future of entertainment - legal or otherwise - lies in the capacity to accurately influence the chemical levels in your brain in a harmless manner.

Imagine a harmless euphoric halucinagenic which could transport your mind to a gaming world. Your body would lie motionless, probably on a bed, but your mind is scaling castle walls, cutting swaths through ranks of orcs and saving distressed Princesses. Not because your mind is wandering on an illegal trip, but because it's an experience designed to take you through that exact adventure.

Chemical manipulation in this day and age is largely frowned upon. Firstly because we are told it is illegal, and secondly because for the most part, most such chemicals have harmful side-effects. But who is to say it will always be that way? The impending decriminalisation will set a dangerous example, which will encourage the "drug induced relaxation" market. Soon after, we'll have marijuana laced slimfast milkshakes, then what? Marijuana is too predictable to have a large market beyond leisure food and standard tobacco based consumption. So the market for legal recreational drugs will be looked at in earnest.

The first benchmark in the area will be the development of completely non-addictive harmless drugs, with no lasting effect in either short or long term. Effectively used probably by medicine at first as an anaesthetic, tomorrow's processes will likely have the capacity to refine the drug's effects, firstly to suggest what you feel, then to dictate it, then to suggest what you see, and then to dictate that as well. In possibly 30, it's quite concievable that drugs will exist that can put you anywhere you want to be. Rescuing maidens from orcish hordes, fighting for survival in an action filled space-flight adventure, or even just soaking up the sun on a Hawaiian beach with a cocktail in one hand, and a book in the other.

It's all possible. Maybe you can't see it yet, but you don't need eyes to see, you need vision.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.